PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Driver Backrest

vendit
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have the Corbin Backrest for the driver seat? I am curious if this is more comfortable, AND......if you can actually use it with having to lean forward a bit on the Spyder. I have the BRP 1" riser on mine, but find I still have to lean forward slightly. I am wondering if the backrest would still be effective.

Lowflyingowl
08-04-2009, 12:09 AM
I've got Corbin seats and a Corbin backrest for the driver's seat, which also works for the passenger.

Two things: one, it doesn't cause you to lean forward. You can adjust the tilt on it. but..
two: the back protector on my tech jacket , along with the vibrations of the Spyder, lifts the backrest right out of the seat. Twice, I found it laying on the passenger seat while i'm tooling down the road at 70 mph!

So I gave up on it. I only use it when my wife rides the passenger seat -- she likes the backrest in front to keep her form sliding into me when I brake, and another one in back.

I just got back from putting 10000 miles on it going across the country and back -- never missed the backrest. So long as I have the highway pegs ( from NMN), I could still put my feet up and relax.

MarkLawson
08-04-2009, 07:21 AM
A bit off subject, but if you're not already in a Corbin seat & are looking for a very good driver's backrest, try Utopia. I have one of theirs on my GL1800 Goldwing for 7 years, Silver Wing for a year & recently installed one on my wife's Spyder. You can see them at: http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html (http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html)

It installs on the BRP OEM saddle. Very comfortable & can be adjusted forward/rearward up to about 6".

$215 plus shipping

SpyderRyder810
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Mark, I just watched the Utopia video and I have a few questions.

Was instillation as easy as it appeared in the video?
Were the instructions clear?
Did you need to contact customer service and if so how were they to work with?
Was the backrest made of the same material as the BRP saddle?
Do you have pictures of your wife's Spyder with the backrest installed?
Is the point where the backrest fits down into the seat...is that point sealed enough to make it waterproof or at least water resistant?
Thanks for the info!
Joan

Firefly
08-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I've got Corbin seats and a Corbin backrest for the driver's seat, which also works for the passenger.

Two things: one, it doesn't cause you to lean forward. You can adjust the tilt on it. but..
two: the back protector on my tech jacket , along with the vibrations of the Spyder, lifts the backrest right out of the seat. Twice, I found it laying on the passenger seat while i'm tooling down the road at 70 mph!

So I gave up on it. I only use it when my wife rides the passenger seat -- she likes the backrest in front to keep her form sliding into me when I brake, and another one in back.

I just got back from putting 10000 miles on it going across the country and back -- never missed the backrest. So long as I have the highway pegs ( from NMN), I could still put my feet up and relax.

How can your Corbin backrest vibrate out of the seat? Are you using the bolt under the seat to secure it in place? When you do this - I don't see how the backrest could vibrate out.

I don't think with just the standard 1" riser that you will get much use out of the backrest. You really need to be more 'straight up' for it to be useful. Mine only seems somewhat useful if I have my feet forward on my highway pegs.

TonyMac
08-04-2009, 08:56 AM
How can your Corbin backrest vibrate out of the seat? Are you using the bolt under the seat to secure it in place? When you do this - I don't see how the backrest could vibrate out.

I never had the backrest completely come out of the seat, but I did have a problem with it coming so loose that it was ready to fall out. I finally fixed it with a lock washer and some locktite. Funny thing is the passenger backrest never once moved. Weird.

MarkLawson
08-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Mark, I just watched the Utopia video and I have a few questions.
Was instillation as easy as it appeared in the video?
Were the instructions clear?
Did you need to contact customer service and if so how were they to work with?
Was the backrest made of the same material as the BRP saddle?
Do you have pictures of your wife's Spyder with the backrest installed?
Is the point where the backrest fits down into the seat...is that point sealed enough to make it waterproof or at least water resistant?
Thanks for the info!
Joan

The install requires you to remove the saddle, remove all the staples around the rear portion of the saddle to allow you to fold the upholstery out of the way. The foam is not glued to the seat pan, so that is not a problem either. Mount the horizontal bracket to the top side of the seat pan, drilling holes in the pan to attach the bolts. You'll then need to cut the foam to allow the upright piece to come through. Restaple the cover back around and then cut the seat cover where the upright piece presses against it. Only cut it enough to allow you to work the bracket through, no more. Only real problem I had is the lack of a suitable stapler to do a good job. I may take it to an upholsterer nearby to let him redo it.
Yes, but I've installed a couple of others, so I pretty much knew what to expect.
I have, and they are great.
The backrest material appears to be an exact match to the OEM saddle.
The picture on his web site of the yellow Spyder is my wife's Spyder. He posted it a couple of hours after I sent it to him.
That point has a hard plastic piece that fits around it, which I guess helps to keep any additional tearing from happening. I've had his backrest on my Goldwing since 2002 & have found no signs of any negative impact to the saddle in that time. I have also ridden in the rain & have found no issues.
Hope this helps

Some Guy
08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

I don't think with just the standard 1" riser that you will get much use out of the backrest. You really need to be more 'straight up' for it to be useful. Mine only seems somewhat useful if I have my feet forward on my highway pegs.

Other people on this site have reported their backrests coming off while ryding. It seems to only be an issue when inserted in the driver's seat. :dontknow:

SpyderRyder810
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks Mark,

I was considering getting a new seat made just so I could have a backrest. I think Utopia just may be the answer for me.

Thanks again,
Joan

orangespydiegirl
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I have the Driver's Corbin back rest along with NMN 4" risers and am able to relax using the back rest. I have had no problems with this set up.

Lowflyingowl
08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes, I'm using the nut that supposedly locks the backrest . It doesn't work too well. Would try locktite, but have found not much use anyway. And yes, this is only a problem when the backrest is used for the driver -- no problems at all when used for the passenger.

I agree that you probably need the risers also -- I have riser & Kewlmetal console and after-market handlebars.

Firefly
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Mark,

I was considering getting a new seat made just so I could have a backrest. I think Utopia just may be the answer for me.

Thanks again,
Joan

While I think that looks like a nice option - not sure I would spend the $$$ modifying the stock Spyder seat - perhaps get the new Comfort seat from BRP and then add this backrest. I don't know about you - but that stock BRP seat is just too cushy and was terrible to ride on. I did my first 5,000 miles on it - and don't miss it at all.

Firefly
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, I'm using the nut that supposedly locks the backrest . It doesn't work too well. Would try locktite, but have found not much use anyway. And yes, this is only a problem when the backrest is used for the driver -- no problems at all when used for the passenger.

I agree that you probably need the risers also -- I have riser & Kewlmetal console and after-market handlebars.

Never had mine come loose - and there have been many times I just dropped the backrest in without using the lower screw at all - and never had the backrest 'come out'. Are you not leaning against it and then it pops out on a bump? Just doesn't seem that if you're leaning against it that it could come out.

I'm not a big fan of the backrest - I just felt like I had to 'wedge' myself between the handlebars and seat - pushing back against the seat.

So I basically don't use mine.

4leafpat
08-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I use mine for the driver's seat and really like it. I had problems with it coming out too, until I finally used the locking screw, and has been fine since.
Pat