PDA

View Full Version : spyder overheating

Kennethsmithdo
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Over the weekend rode my spyder all day saturday. My spyder start stalling and would cut off when ever was a stop sign or red light. Realized the spyder was HOT!!!! Do not think fan came on. I checked the relay which is working and then I checked antifreeze, which was low. I refilled with 50/50 yesterday. Today is another hot day hope to take out for a ride. I hope the problem does not come back. Any other suggestions?:thumbup:

NancysToy
08-03-2009, 02:11 PM
No messages on the dash? How many bars on the guage when it was stalling? You can test the fan in the garage by letting the Spyder idle until it warms up......or go for a short ride, then come back and watch the fan as it idles. Fan should come on at five bars. If it doesn't, the relay is probably bad or loose, or the fuse is blown. If it does come on, or if the Spyder stalled at less than six or seven bars, or if you hit seven bars without limp home mode, better see your dealer.

Capt John
08-03-2009, 02:34 PM
No messages on the dash? How many bars on the guage when it was stalling? You can test the fan in the garage by letting the Spyder idle until it warms up......or go for a short ride, then come back and watch the fan as it idles. Fan should come on at five bars. If it doesn't, the relay is probably bad or loose, or the fuse is blown. If it does come on, or if the Spyder stalled at less than six or seven bars, or if you hit seven bars without limp home mode, better see your dealer.

:agree:

Lamonster
08-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Make sure the cap is tight. I've thought it was before and it wasn't locked in. :opps: That can cause it to overheat.

Kennethsmithdo
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
It was 6 bars

ataDude
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Make sure the cap is tight. I've thought it was before and it wasn't locked in. :opps: That can cause it to overheat.

Yepper. Tighten it until it clicks into place TWO times. At the first click, you think you're there. YOU'RE NOT! Keep going.

NancysToy
08-03-2009, 06:37 PM
It was 6 bars
Six bars and no fan indicates a problem. Better double check the relays and fuses if that is the case. This is a normal operating temperature and should not make the Spyder quit running. Even in limp mode it will remain running. I'd have the dealer check that issue.

SpyderGirl
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, make sure the cap is tight. The pressure the cap puts on the coolant system is part of what makes coolant effective up to a higher temperature (and down to a lower temperature) than the coolant it's self is rated for. You were probably boiling your coolant over out of your cap. My girlfriend did this on the ride down to LA, had to fill hers up in Grapevine and there was coolant all over the place.

BeRight
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, make sure the cap is tight. The pressure the cap puts on the coolant system is part of what makes coolant effective up to a higher temperature (and down to a lower temperature) than the coolant it's self is rated for. You were probably boiling your coolant over out of your cap. My girlfriend did this on the ride down to LA, had to fill hers up in Grapevine and there was coolant all over the place.
:agree:

Similar experience for me, when returning from Dealer after 1st service, found coolant on garage floor. Lamonster tip about checking pressure cap-saved the day. It was tight to first click but not fully tight. Members of this forum have a greater knowledge of the Spyder than any dealer mechanic - I've been to three and still looking for one that knows what they are doing, since in order to keep under warrenty owners manual states that Dealer only can perform certain tasks.

Kennethsmithdo
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Made sure coolant cap tight, not really sure I felt two clicks though. While riding notice five bars with high RPM's. Would decrease to four RPM's but could not tell if fan came on. My feet and knees still were hot.