PDA

View Full Version : Sena +Mesh reviews

RapidSpyder
04-23-2020, 08:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone uses the Sena +Mesh? I’m thinking of getting one since it is supposed to allow an “unlimited” number of riders to connect and a half mile range. Thought it would be handy when going in large groups in the Hills.

CopperSpyder
04-23-2020, 08:28 AM
You might want to go to the Sena web site and look at their new BT head sets. They have, the new 50s & 50r it has a range of up to 5 miles if your in a large group that is spread out. and up to 1.2 miles with just two of you. The 50s has new HD speakers. There will be an up date to mesh 2.0 for the 30k users also coming out in a week or so that will do the same for the 30k but the 30k just is not as loud or have the same speaker setup with bass control that the 50s will have. The draw back is every one must have the 2.0 mesh up date. New will work better then old but it will take time for every one to move to 2.0.

Brad0414
04-23-2020, 08:32 AM
try u clear had them for years

RapidSpyder
04-23-2020, 09:46 AM
I’m trying to be cheap and get by with the 3 SMH 10’s and SPH 10 that I have now. Finally got them all working good together. Just would like to have the capability for others to join in. Range isn’t that big of deal in the Hills anyway since there aren’t a lot of mile long straightaways.

Jdr00ejr
04-23-2020, 10:06 AM
RapidSpyder - are you using 20S now and wanting to add the +Mesh Adapters? We have 4 20S and struggle with them. 2 is great, 3 is meh - and more is not good - and all updated to the newest firmware. I'm struggling with whether I want to by the +Mesh Adapters, or upgrade to 30k's but buying 4 at once is not appealing to the wallet for sure.

EDIT: must have been typing my reply when you typed yours above - I see this is what you are talking about - just not with the 20S.

ARtraveler
04-23-2020, 10:17 AM
We bought the latest SMH-10 models. These mount in our new Bell Mag 9 helmets. Made special for the Sena units.

The latest version has twice the range of our older ones. We got about 2.5 blocks straight line with them. The latest gives us about 4 blocks straight line.

The set is supposed to mesh with up to two more Sena users. Since we have not rode in a pack, we have not tried this feature out. And...the directions are a bit difficult for me...a non techie.

Bottom line....I would say, improved over the older ones. We use ours for communication only. No radio or bluetooth phone usage.

JP58
04-23-2020, 10:31 AM
RapidSpyder - are you using 20S now and wanting to add the +Mesh Adapters? We have 4 20S and struggle with them. 2 is great, 3 is meh - and more is not good - and all updated to the newest firmware. I'm struggling with whether I want to by the +Mesh Adapters, or upgrade to 30k's but buying 4 at once is not appealing to the wallet for sure.

Our 20s is great for 2 people. Add 3 or more and you get crackling or popcorn popping noise. Are group is 6 people. We have latest update and got all units replaced under warranty. Still same issues. Heard same problem with 30k. We tried U Clear at a show with 3 of us and they were crystal clear. Now 50S and 50R may be better. Will see. Also Sena has a trade in program going on for first generation 30k users till June. Hope they extend that to 20S.

RICZ
04-23-2020, 12:09 PM
GOT ANY FOR SALE??
I need to upgrade from my pair of old Cardo Q3 units. But what with our investments taking a hit lately, I don't want to put out the cash for new. Previous posts indicate there might be some good unused sets lying around. I don't need bells and whistles, just talk with passenger + another rider and connect to phone. Not a fan of music while riding - I know that makes me weird.

Motorcycledave
04-23-2020, 02:40 PM
Hi Dave here,
Give me a call 209-887-3283.
I am your friendly neighborhood SENA dealer for Spyder Lovers not only can I save you money
but I can give you information
Dave

Just wondering if anyone uses the Sena +Mesh? I’m thinking of getting one since it is supposed to allow an “unlimited” number of riders to connect and a half mile range. Thought it would be handy when going in large groups in the Hills.

Revalden
04-24-2020, 06:52 PM
We have the Sena 20s EVO and they work well to talk to the Navigator on the back seat and tgo answer phone calls and listen to the built-in radio, but I can never get anyone else in our Spyder group to sit still long enough to pair with them Probably don't want to hear my smart ass comments. And the S.C.R.C. group don't wear helmets unless we ride into Missouri which requires helmets.

SpyderAnn01
04-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Revzilla did a review of the Top 10 Communication devices for 2020 and Sena was not on the list! It is a good review and having just purchased a Sena 30K I can understand why they didn’t make it. The 30K is awful, I wish I had gone with another 20S ir a different brand.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-24-2020, 07:58 PM
Hmmmmmmm, interesting comments! And just think. CB was introduced for m/c riders over 40 years ago and still works great for group communication. Newer is always better? "Fraid not!

Flamewinger
04-24-2020, 08:50 PM
The problem is EVERYONE in the group has to have the same brand headset as well as the headsets (or adapters) need to have the mesh tech. So if everyone has Sena and some have the 30k and some have the 20s with the adapter then all can communicate and still have the other connections to the passenger and devices.

RICZ
04-24-2020, 09:02 PM
There are folks in my SCRC chapter that have Bluetooth communicators, but don't want to talk to anyone other than their chosen few. I don't get it! Captain and tail gunner should be able to communicate for the sake of safety, if nothing else.
When I was in VTS/MTA every bike had a CB and it was a great aid for safety and personal needs.
Now, I am riding with two other clubs and my granddaughter and it helps to be connected. She would wear my other helmet with the Cardo, but now, with the virus, she wears her own helmet without a Bluetooth so we can play it safe, but lose the ability to be connected and that's why I'm looking to upgrade. Ideally, I'd like to score 3 sets - one for her, one for me and one for my passenger.

WisconsinDavid
04-25-2020, 05:54 AM
We're still using the old smh-10s. They have been dependable and not anything that frustrates us on our small group of 4 tours. I would move up if we grew our group, but so far we like the small group... easy to coordinate vacations, ride distance, keep together and find lodging/food for. We'll keep them until they die... but also found a way to install new batteries if the batteries begin to lose their charge longevity. When the time comes, though, will move up to another Sena product because of the great experience with them thus far. My first was an early Uclear that was horrible. It chased me to Sena. I hope the Uclear line has improved since back then (5 years past). Thanks for the reviews, I like to hear about what is current, the advantages and what works!

RapidSpyder
04-25-2020, 09:02 AM
We're still using the old smh-10s. They have been dependable and not anything that frustrates us on our small group of 4 tours. I would move up if we grew our group, but so far we like the small group... easy to coordinate vacations, ride distance, keep together and find lodging/food for. We'll keep them until they die... but also found a way to install new batteries if the batteries begin to lose their charge longevity. When the time comes, though, will move up to another Sena product because of the great experience with them thus far. My first was an early Uclear that was horrible. It chased me to Sena. I hope the Uclear line has improved since back then (5 years past). Thanks for the reviews, I like to hear about what is current, the advantages and what works!

That’s the position we’re in too. Just curious about the +mesh unit that allows more to connect. Would be nice to have in groups to point out things while riding. Have to give Dave a call this weekend.

scarecrow
04-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Still up in the air on which to purchase. Want to be able to make and receive calls with both of us on different phones. (Have parents and children that call when we are out riding)Want Music. Most of all want to talk to Passenger. Tired of her beating on my helmet when she needs to stop. LOL. Don't want to put major $$$$$ into this but need to work it out soon.

Jdr00ejr
04-27-2020, 03:20 PM
After researching and watching numerous reviews / comparison videos - I've pulled the trigger on abandoning Sena altogether. We are jumping ship to the Cards Packtalk Bold. We'll see how it goes.

Rottman
04-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Don't forget to give us a report on how they are working. I am interested in getting a couple of bt's units for the wife and I to use.

easysuper
04-28-2020, 07:59 AM
My wife and I had been using Uclears for the last 6 years and never been happy with them so for our Coast to Coast ride last summer we purchased the Sean’s 30k and have been extremely satisfied with them, during our 11,000 mile ride we linked up with several groups of riders which surprised us and them. They have about a mile range before they get spotty but that’s to be expected. I would definitely recommend them.

george123
04-28-2020, 02:58 PM
If anyone is still interested in a used pair of headsets, I have a pair of Uclear Motion Infinity's for sale. They work great and are in excellent condition, with one minor imperfection. While changing my visor, I pushed too hard on the headset and tore the weather proof boot on the top button of one unit. I glued it back, and it seems to be holding. A replacement boot might even be available from Uclear. I haven't checked yet, so I don't know. I bought them about a year ago, and have used them mostly for 1 ride a week. My riding group use mostly Sena units, so I switched to Sena's to be able to pair with them. I couldn't add photos here, so look at my albums for pictures. I paid $499.95, and I'm asking $225.

George

Jdr00ejr
04-29-2020, 03:06 PM
I was surprised at just how simple the Cardo Packtalk Bolds were to upgrade firmware on and to connect to each other - compared to my Sena 20S. What's more fascinating, and awesome is the they retain their group mesh pairing constantly - what I mean is - power it on - and that's it - no more button presses, nothing - just power it on - it automagically connects to the others it can find in range that have previously paired to it's group.

Need to try them on some rides and see how the wind/noise cancelling and sound quality is - but first impressions are strong.

Tango
04-29-2020, 03:44 PM
We have the SENA 30, don't remember what letter. We love them. Easy to pair, easy to upgrade. And they hold a charge. They also paired to the 2020 RT quickly. Music quality could be better. Talking on the phone is very good. And I can BT Sirius, or Android Auto to the headsets very easily. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

stmike 1800
04-30-2020, 06:47 AM
I have freecom 2 ,they worked ok ,hate the buttons . Now there is an update ,that is NOT user friendly . I did not try yet only read the comments and that was enough .

Valkrocket
04-30-2020, 07:21 AM
Wise choice Jdr00ejr :2thumbs:
2 thumbs up on the Cardo Bold. Had one for several months now. Will communicate with any other brand. Two Bluetooth channels. Can add up to 15 other riders to one channel, while you talk to back seat on the other. Paired it with my Iphone for music, and BRP connect or TomTom GPS for navigation. Easy to use and update. Simple install for any type of helmet. Bought two pack online for less than 400 clams.

Deanna777
04-30-2020, 11:42 AM
I have the Sena 10S it is the upgraded version of the Sena flagship Bluetooth headset for motorcycle helmets, the SM10 talk to 3 riding companions, via HD audio, 1.0 mile away, take calls, listen to music and more. Riders can connect with all Sena + non Sena Bluetooth motorcycle headsets using universal intercom.

I have been using the Sena 10S for 3 years, and I also use the Sena 10S in the winter when riding on my sled. I do get a message "saying Low Battery" when I am riding on my sled in the winter. I connect a USB cord ( in my glove box of the sled) to my Sena 10S on my helmet, and connect the other end to my 12V outlet in my glove box on my sled, to keep the Sena 10S charged. I fine that that the cold weather drains the battery in my Sena 10S faster. I have the original battery in my Sena 10S.

My significant other also has/uses Sena ( the older version with the larger dial).

Deanna

jcthorne
04-30-2020, 11:57 AM
We have the Sena 20s EVO and they work well to talk to the Navigator on the back seat and tgo answer phone calls and listen to the built-in radio, but I can never get anyone else in our Spyder group to sit still long enough to pair with them Probably don't want to hear my smart ass comments. And the S.C.R.C. group don't wear helmets unless we ride into Missouri which requires helmets.

Strange. Our SCRC chapter (Conroe 120) almost universally wears helmets (we have a few holdouts). The road captains are about half on CB and half on SENA with a bit of overlap as a few of us have and use both.

jcthorne
04-30-2020, 12:05 PM
That’s the position we’re in too. Just curious about the +mesh unit that allows more to connect. Would be nice to have in groups to point out things while riding. Have to give Dave a call this weekend.

Just remember the mesh tech ONLY works if everyone in the group has a radio with that tech. When connecting a group of SENA headsets, the entire group falls to the communication capabilities of the lowest model in the group. IE if you have 5 of the new 50 series units and one SMR10 joins in, you lose mesh and all digital noise reduction functions. The entire group is reduced to series 10 functions. This particularly comes in to play if anyone has a Sena or Nolen helmet with the built in Sena units. The built in units are all 10 series. IE seriously outdated.

jcthorne
04-30-2020, 12:07 PM
I have the Sena 10S it is the upgraded version of the Sena flagship Bluetooth headset for motorcycle helmets, the SM10 talk to 3 riding companions, via HD audio, 1.0 mile away, take calls, listen to music and more. Riders can connect with all Sena + non Sena Bluetooth motorcycle headsets using universal intercom.

I have been using the Sena 10S for 3 years, and I also use the Sena 10S in the winter when riding on my sled. I do get a message "saying Low Battery" when I am riding on my sled in the winter. I connect a USB cord ( in my glove box of the sled) to my Sena 10S on my helmet, and connect the other end to my 12V outlet in my glove box on my sled, to keep the Sena 10S charged. I fine that that the cold weather drains the battery in my Sena 10S faster. I have the original battery in my Sena 10S.

My significant other also has/uses Sena ( the older version with the larger dial).

Deanna

You would find significant improvements moving up to a 20 series unit. The 10 series is over 6 years old.

Deanna777
04-30-2020, 05:03 PM
You would find significant improvements moving up to a 20 series unit. The 10 series is over 6 years old.

I'll check with Motorcycle Dave to see what he has for deals on the 20 series units.
Deanna

RICZ
05-05-2020, 10:46 PM
I just came across this comparo and I thought y'all might be interested....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkoO773ENCI

JayBros
05-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Revzilla did a review of the Top 10 Communication devices for 2020 and Sena was not on the list! It is a good review and having just purchased a Sena 30K I can understand why they didn’t make it. The 30K is awful, I wish I had gone with another 20S ir a different brand.

My son told me last week a bunch of his two wheel rider friends went to the 30 Mesh systems and they all complain about how poorly they operate. He stuck with his 20S.

Jdr00ejr
05-06-2020, 09:49 AM
So mentioned I'd come back for an update - as someone asked. Having sold our 4 Sena 20S units and purchasing Packtalk Bold units - they difference is night and day. Now, some will say it's not a fair comparison - I know - the Packtalk Bold is typically pitted against the 30k. But, if you ready my early post - given our lack of customer support and problems with our 20S with 3 or more (which was well within it's marketing) - as well as many reviews - like the one posted above by RICZ - we decide to abandon the ship and go elsewhere.

I must say - the Packtalk Bolds are amazing. They multi-task audio (listening to bluetooth tunes and someone talking to me) much better than my 20S did. The wind noise filtering is amazing. If our group takes off fast from you can hear some wind noise for up to 5-10 seconds while it figures itself out and decides what to filter -and then it's back to crystal quiet. The always connected Mesh technology is awesome. Once paired the very first time - we literally just turn them on. We all mount the Spyder - hit the power up buttons - and are immediately talking to each other - no waiting, no additional button presses.

The one thing I also have found very useful this last week is the "private" feature. With a simple double tap of the top button - my headset connects privately with who I have saved as my private preference (changeable in the app - and able to connect privately to others in the app as well). I'm presently coaching my son on his first bike (he did take a MSF course). So when our group of 4 was out - I could private with just him to not make his mother nervous - and to keep the chatter out of his ears. Interesting feature of the private function - if we stop talking for a while - the private drops out to join us back with the group. I totally understand this feature and think in general will like it - but in this instance of wanting to keep chatter out of his ear - was a shock when it did it. But the back and forth from private to the group at large was quick and seamless with just the double tap.

3 of us are traveling for a week coming up. I'm super excited to have these Packtalks instead of our previous 20S.

ClayJ
05-07-2020, 07:15 PM
I just traded my 2001 goldwing in for a 2019 RT LT, so I have to switch from wired headsets and bike hosted intercom to Bluetooth and helmet to helmet intercom. It's also time to abandon the old CB radio for bike to bike.

After talking to all my Harley riding buddies, we've decided to give Sena a try. Mostly because Harley only allows Sena headsets to link to their bike's bluetooth.

I just ordered a pair of Sena 50S headsets off of amazon. I'm hoping that mesh 2.0 fixes all of the problems that Sena has been having.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Mostly because Harley only allows Sena headsets to link to their bike's bluetooth.
Supposedly for being an industry standard electronic protocol, there sure are a lot of proprietary variations in BT. Question! Do your Harley buddies communicate bike to bike with CB from a BT helmet? If so, then that's why the restriction, I think. I just found out that Sena's Freewire system for Harleys and Goldwings that connects into the bike comm system and to a BT headset will only work with particular Sena headsets for the CB function. IF, and this might be a big IF, the Sena Freewire technology is built into the HD comm system then that is why only Sena will work. And it's probably not all Sena's so make sure whatever you guys get is compatible all around.

AY4B
05-07-2020, 08:57 PM
I lead rydes all the timed have not had much success with Bluetooth part of my Sena 30K. Last week my wife was tailgunner and when my Navigation would kick in, it would Kick her off and would not get her back. The Sena would keep saying intercom Failed. At the halfway point I asked her to switch on the mesh. and had to show her how. In public mode She was in back of 10 spiders and I never lost her from then on. Each turn, she would let me know she had turned and I could just concentrate on what was in front of me. It was really nice. Mesh self heals so you don't loose who you are speaking with. I wish more people would get it.

CopperSpyder
05-08-2020, 08:52 AM
I lead rydes all the timed have not had much success with Bluetooth part of my Sena 30K. Last week my wife was tailgunner and when my Navigation would kick in, it would Kick her off and would not get her back. The Sena would keep saying intercom Failed. At the halfway point I asked her to switch on the mesh. and had to show her how. In public mode She was in back of 10 spiders and I never lost her from then on. Each turn, she would let me know she had turned and I could just concentrate on what was in front of me. It was really nice. Mesh self heals so you don't loose who you are speaking with. I wish more people would get it.

AY4B Did you do the 2.0 up date for the 30K that was to came out on May 1st?

AY4B
05-08-2020, 02:35 PM
AY4B Did you do the 2.0 up date for the 30K that was to came out on May 1st?
No, I have not. What does it do?

CopperSpyder
05-08-2020, 02:46 PM
I have a new set of 30k still in the box I have not set them up yet. The new 2.0 is the same software as the new 50s and make it 80% better according to Sena see the 50s add that talks about the 2.0 software the download for the 30K is free at sena .com "click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdrvveUo-Y&feature=youtu.be I was just wondering if you had tried it yet.

RapidSpyder
05-08-2020, 03:27 PM
I think what I was looking for was the Sena Bluetooth to Mesh intercom adapter that I can use with my SMH 10’s. After reading these posts and watching reviews on YouTube, I might end up getting the Cardo. The Sena just has too much wind noise and popping when 3 of us are connected and there is a crosswind. Plugging the hole in the front of the mic along with a denser windsock helped, but it is still there.

CopperSpyder
05-08-2020, 03:31 PM
I think what I was looking for was the Sena Bluetooth to Mesh intercom adapter that I can use with my SMH 10’s. After reading these posts and watching reviews on YouTube, I might end up getting the Cardo. The Sena just has too much wind noise and popping when 3 of us are connected and there is a crosswind. Plugging the hole in the front of the mic along with a denser windsock helped, but it is still there.

Yes I was hoping this new mesh 2.0 software would help with that, I'm just waiting to hear from someone that has done the download or has the new 50s.

RapidSpyder
05-08-2020, 03:39 PM
:chat::popcorn:

Getting a lot of good info, just don’t want to spend a hundred and twenty bucks on an adapter if it doesn’t make things better...
All of my headsets have the newest software downloaded btw.

CopperSpyder
05-08-2020, 03:53 PM
:chat::popcorn:

Getting a lot of good info, just don’t want to spend a hundred and twenty bucks on an adapter if it doesn’t make things better...
All of my headsets have the newest software downloaded btw.

This is the Sena page for the upgrade software and what it will do for the +Mesh "click: https://www.sena.com/mesh-two as it notes better sound and clarity.

AY4B
05-08-2020, 08:10 PM
I just hooked it up to my Sena Device manager. current version is 2.3.1. It is now updating to 3.0.1

ClayJ
05-09-2020, 01:16 PM
Do your Harley buddies communicate bike to bike with CB from a BT helmet?

We have a combo of Harley, Goldwing, Spyder, and other metric riders. Mostly 2 up riding. I think everyone is wired but I don't know for sure.

This switch from CB to bluetooth is coming from those that don't have CB and feel left out on our rides. It's the Harley guys that are pushing for Sena over Cardo as we switch. 2 couples have already bought the new Sena 50. They said the bike to headset bluetooth has good quality and the passenger to pillion intercom is fine, but not enough have headset to really try out the mesh.

scarecrow
05-10-2020, 10:13 AM
But , is the 50s/r waterproof and how is the noise canceling?

scarecrow
05-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Ok, Is it still to new and no one knows?

Jdr00ejr
05-14-2020, 11:11 AM

Had 6 of us talking with the Packtalk Bolds the other night. Stretched out riding - 6 bikes. When we'd change speeds quickly you might hear a bit of wind noise for 5 seconds or less before it filtered it right back out. Me in the front, talking to the guy in the back - and others in the group - sound quality was primo, crystal clear, awesome!

jerrydonna
05-14-2020, 11:16 AM
I guess I will chime in with what we travel with in the past. Until three years ago My wife and I after YEARS of riding the OLD way of yelling to each other needed BLUETOOTH. We stated riding trips with brother/wife. So my Brother and I picked up {2} Calvery Bliuetooth Hemets from Sena and (2) Momentum Lite Bluetooth again from Sena for our travels together. Last years trip was about 3900 miles. They worked great. We both drive behind a wind screens so wind wasn't a issue, they got a few will WET days and no issue as well. Was happy with distance holding up when when not riding together. We do have other full face helmets and those carry Cardo Freecom 4+. They are nice sound is clear, but the distance doesn't seem to hold up to the Sena helmets. Im a old school guy who loves this send half helmet

jlc41
05-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Sorry for posting this here, but I don't remember how to start a new post??? However my question is this has anyone taken a glue pad off of one helmet and transferred it to another? if so how did you do it? Thanks in advance and I apologize again.

Jdr00ejr
05-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Sorry for posting this here, but I don't remember how to start a new post??? However my question is this has anyone taken a glue pad off of one helmet and transferred it to another? if so how did you do it? Thanks in advance and I apologize again.

Not using the same glue pad, no. But you can use a hair dryer to heat the glue pad up - and pull it off. Then I use my fingers to "roll" the residue up - seems the be the easiest way to get it off. Once most the residue is off rubbing alcohol and elbow grease will finish the job. Do the same thing to the mount side - get all the residue off. Then you can buy replacement 3M double sided tape. Make sure you use the VHB 3M stuff for best most secure adhesion.

jlc41
05-21-2020, 03:28 PM
Jdr00ejr, thank you very much for the come back.

Joe