PDA

View Full Version : Interested in getting a Spyder

RAM1961
04-21-2020, 08:51 PM
I do love my Triumph Tiger 955i, but I really am not using it as a dual sports bike. Plus, due to a major right ankle/foot surgery for the second time, I had to modify the rear brake pedal so I could it. I entertained the idea of a Spyder a few years ago, but life got in the way. But I'm back. I'm looking for something that has built in saddlebags or add-on bags, windshield, and makes a good daily rider as well as for longer trips. I've had road bikes since the mid 70's when I was in high school, so basically riding forever. A three wheeled mbike would help with my ankle. I'm just not sure what the best year and model is available for say $10-12K with the parameters I'm looking for. Any ideas would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-21-2020, 08:57 PM
I do love my Triumph Tiger 955i, but I really am not using it as a dual sports bike. Plus, due to a major right ankle/foot surgery for the second time, I had to modify the rear brake pedal so I could it. I entertained the idea of a Spyder a few years ago, but life got in the way. But I'm back. I'm looking for something that has built in saddlebags or add-on bags, windshield, and makes a good daily rider as well as for longer trips. I've had road bikes since the mid 70's when I was in high school, so basically riding forever. A three wheeled mbike would help with my ankle. I'm just not sure what the best year and model is available for say $10-12K with the parameters I'm looking for. Any ideas would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

With that amount of money and " the will to wait " you can get a 2014 RT with the 1330 engine / trans package ......... Right now go to the " for sale " section and look at the 2014 RTS for the ASKING price of $10,000 ..... Yep it is a Manual trans ..... but it is the best Bargain I have seen for that year of RT ...... Mike :thumbup:

Arion
04-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Here are my opinions regarding Spyders. First, a bit of back story. I'm 75 and the proud owner of an artificial left hip. The significance of this comment is that the one thing I was told by the surgeon to avoid at all cost is overextending my left leg laterally (to the side). When riding on two wheels I put my left foot down when stopped. That's not generally a problem, however, on two occasions since the joint replacement, my left foot slipped (gravel and sand) and in order not to overextend my leg I "bailed out" with as much finesse as possible and let the bike fall. Not a good thing either for me or the bike. Time to adapt.

I began looking into Spyders and eventually bought a 2015 RT-S with 436 miles on the odometer. It's the three cylinder 1330 cc version and I've not regretted the purchase for a moment. My wife isn't one to ride as a passenger, so she selected a 2012 RT Limited that had been very well cared for. Hers is the 998 cc twin and she loves it.

The twin is higher revving than the triple and doesn't return quite as good fuel mileage but both are well suited to daily riding and are excellent, in our opinion, for long distance touring. Her twin has a five speed semi-auto gearbox and seems happy operating in the 4500+ rpm range. The triple has a six speed semi-auto gearbox and seems happy being shifted as low as 3500 rpm. Both can cruise at highway speed all day long comfortably, and can accommodate enough stuff for us to go on a two week tour without short changing ourselves. And you don't have to worry about falling over if, or when, your limbs and joints don't cooperate.

Over the past two springs we've been on a two week trip to Tucson, Tombstone, and Bizbee Arizona, and an eight day tour of the Texas Big Bend country. The two trips totaled over 4500 miles without a single problem and in entirely acceptable comfort. We're spoiled by the technology - semi-automatic transmissions, dynamic power assisted steering, antilock brakes, stability control, electronic cruise control, self-levelling rear suspension, electrically adjustable wind screen, and comparatively large storage capacity - front trunk, rear trunk, and side cases. Although there are those who will insist that the triple is the "best" of the two models, both are good machines, although they do have distinctly different personalities. In truth, although mine is the triple I really enjoy riding my wife's higher revving and great sounding twin.

With your price range it's possible to find a good, reliable Spyder RT, certainly a twin and possibly a triple, depending on year and mileage. And given the current circumstances in the country, you might be surprised how much your budget may get you. With millions of Americans out of work, there may well be those who might find themselves having to sell a "non-essential" asset. Its certainly not a pleasant circumstance but unfortunately it's not untruthful either.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-21-2020, 10:40 PM
A three wheeled mbike would help with my ankle.
To help with that there is an aftermarket hand brake that can be added to the Spyder. It operates the regular brake system just like the foot brake. Not cheap, but it might be just the ticket to help preserve your foot and ankle. You can do most of the braking with the hand brake so your foot wouldn't be stressed at all.

Mazo EMS2
04-22-2020, 08:13 AM
I think with your "parameters" you should be able to find an RT with the 1330 motor, maybe not with electronic shift though. If you're used to shifting with your foot anyway, like most of use were, then you'll be fine. The RT comes with the bells n whistles and luggage compartments you prefer. It also has what I call a "rider forward" style of sitting position. You sit more ON the bike rather than down IN it like the F3's. There is a ton of info on this site, so you came to the right place

Bangorbob
04-22-2020, 09:29 AM
Look in the for sale forum. Different years and models for sale.

ARtraveler
04-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Good luck in your hunt. Both versions of engine are good. They both have their pros and cons. Many have written about this, so will not go into that further in my post here.

The 2014's RT's are now edging towards your magic price point. I have had the pleasure of having both versions. Four 998's, and two 1330's. I now lean toward the 1330's, but have over 125,000 assorted 998 miles.

Regardless, which you buy, it does sound like a Spyder is a good choice for you. No bias here. :roflblack:

cptjam
04-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Since these go well over 100k miles easily, don’t discount a higher mileage model. We sold a 14 with 120k+, and it is still going strong.

RICZ
04-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Same here....hip replacement. Been riding since 1952 and a ton of miles and trips that include transcontinentals and the Alps. Here's my impression with a bit over a year of Spyder experience....
+ All the fun of a two wheeler with none of the worry.
+ My left hand enjoys not having to pull a clutch lever - mine has the electric shift.
+ My left foot loves just sitting there and enjoying the ride.
+ If I knew how much fun these are, I would have bought one years ago.

Deputy Dog
04-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Go to Cycletrader.com Here is the website https://www.cycletrader.com/Used-Can-Am-Spyder/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Can-Am%7C2315918&model=SPYDER%7C764855018&condition=U They have some really good deals there. A 2018 F3s semi auto for $13,500 with 2300 miles, 2016 F3s semi auto with 2700 miles, 2016 RS manual trans with only 335 miles, 2014 RT manual with 14900 miles loaded for asking 12,500. There are a lot more as low as 8 or 9 thousand dollars. This is where I found my 2018 semi auto F3s with 1700 miles and some extra's for $14000. Best of luck

JayBros
04-22-2020, 02:49 PM
My first and, probably only Spyder is the 1330 ACE engine with semiautomatic 6-speed transmission. As ARtraveler said, both engines are good, but look at it this way, if the V-twin was still state of the art, BRP would still be producing models using it. The 1330 engine is a giant leap ahead in terms of low end torque, an additional gear in the transmission, much better gas mileage, lower cost to maintain and longer service intervals. It uses NO oil, has a 9,300 mile change interval after the first service at 3K, and is damn near bullet proof. The only tedious job for the DIY mechanic is changing the spark plugs at 28K intervals; that job is a PITA, but doable. With the new MY 2020 RT on the dealers' lots there will be more MY 2014 and later RTs hitting the advertising/consignment/used dealer lots at good prices.

Revalden
04-22-2020, 03:01 PM
My best friend in a Spyder club has a 2 cylinder RT and on rides he has to stop for gas at just a little over 100 miles and our 3 cylinder 1330s can get around 230 miles on a tank of gas. Just wanted to throw that in your considerations. Good luck, and :welcome:.

RAM1961
04-24-2020, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the info and comments. Don't see too many here in Montana. I love the triple in the Tiger so would lean towards 2014 or newer I'm thinking.