PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear

johnv50
04-21-2020, 10:57 AM
I have a 2017 F3L, my rear tire at 9k appears to be wearing down the middle and not the edges. Is this normal with the crapendas?
I religiously keep the rear pressure at 28.

thanks johnv

CopperSpyder
04-21-2020, 11:03 AM
Yes they wear the middle out first and need to be changed. Lower pressure can help a little but the best thing to do is just go to a better tire.

SpyderAnn01
04-21-2020, 11:08 AM
Its time for a new tire.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-21-2020, 11:22 AM
Yes they wear the middle out first and need to be changed. Lower pressure can help a little but the best thing to do is just go to a better tire.

Well I've ( probably ) read every Kenda tire thread / post on this site since 2012 ..... I have never read of any PSI for the rear tire tire that ever made a measurable difference. As you must well know by now, Peter and I have posted many. many times - the problem with this tire is weak / poor construction it does not noticeably matter what the PSI it is ( 28 +/- 5lbs. ) the tire is just going to wear quickly - Period ..... Some users here have reported better than average mileage, but I truly believe it has to do with their geography and type of road surface they usually encounter.... BRP has had two different rubber formulations.... one was very " soft ", the other a bit " harder "..... the "harder " one lasted about 25% better..... Un-fortunately from what I've read about the construction of the New Kanine tire I would be surprised if it really will be any better then the original two versions, as far as mileage is concerned...... " you really can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear " come to mind ...... Mike :thumbup:

CopperSpyder
04-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Well I've ( probably ) read every Kenda tire thread / post on this site since 2012 ..... I have never read of any PSI for the rear tire tire that ever made a measurable difference. As you must well know by now, Peter and I have posted many. many times - the problem with this tire is weak / poor construction it does not noticeably matter what the PSI it is ( 28 +/- 5lbs. ) the tire is just going to wear quickly - Period ..... Some users here have reported better than average mileage, but I truly believe it has to do with their geography and type of road surface they usually encounter.... BRP has had two different rubber formulations.... one was very " soft ", the other a bit " harder "..... the "harder " one lasted about 25% better..... Un-fortunately from what I've read about the construction of the New Kanine tire I would be surprised if it really will be any better then the original two versions, as far as mileage is concerned...... " you really can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear " come to mind ...... Mike :thumbup:

I'm not here to argue about air pressure and wear patterns and what little help that may offer as I suggested but I hope we do agree on the solution. (just go to a better tire)

Mazo EMS2
04-21-2020, 12:32 PM
You actually did good to get that many miles on an older Kenda. As said, time for a new one. As Mike said, the Kendas are poorly made. They tend to "balloon out" once they get warmed up. The ballooning affect is what wears the center out prematurely. There are hundreds of threads on which kind, so please do a search and read before posting another "What kind of tire" thread. We all have opinions and the only one that matters is yours. Good luck on the tire swap. IF you're inclined to do so, pull the wheel yourself and have your local tire guy mount your new tire. You'll save a lot of money.

KX5062
04-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Just to echo what others have said: the Kenda tire has a very soft and thin carcass. They are a 2 ply tire with a very soft side wall, so they balloon when ridden and air pressure regulation can help, but it won't stop the problem. A car tires are normally at least 4 plies thick, so they have a stiffer side wall that prevent that ballooning effect. Problem solved, buy a car tire and enjoy the ride. :2thumbs: