PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood and Sturgis Rally’s

RapidSpyder
04-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Just an FYI that the 80th Sturgis Rally and the Deadwood 3 Wheeler Rally are still on.

Big Arm
04-20-2020, 06:20 PM
Hope to see you there :yes:

Frozn
04-20-2020, 08:39 PM
We are still planning on Deadwood. Less tourists,better riding.

cptjam
04-20-2020, 09:40 PM
We are so in!!!

pegasus1300
04-20-2020, 10:11 PM
I plan on being to D3WR also. See you all there

ARtraveler
04-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Thank you for the update Rapid. :bowdown:

We are going to adopt a wait and see and hoping there will be no second wave of the virus. We are considering the DW rally. Sturgis not our cup of tea. The whole area is some fantastic riding though. When in MN and WI, I went to the Black Hills every year. Linda has been there once with me.

Rooms not an issue for us, Linda has relative in Rapid City.

Time will tell. :yes:

troop
04-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Just an FYI that the 80th Sturgis Rally and the Deadwood 3 Wheeler Rally are still on.

Still booked. Lets hope ??

GOZFST
04-27-2020, 01:25 AM
Sturgis City Council will vote on the fate of this years Rally on June 15th
https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/The-Sturgis-City-Council-has-created-a-set-of-protocols-in-regards-to-the-rally--569932611.html

RapidSpyder
04-27-2020, 07:48 AM
Sturgis City Council will vote on the fate of this years Rally on June 15th
https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/The-Sturgis-City-Council-has-created-a-set-of-protocols-in-regards-to-the-rally--569932611.html

Thanks for posting that, I was going to share that myself. Optimistic that it’s going to happen, there were 4 places that had dining in open on our ride yesterday. 1 on Hwy 44 near Hisega and 3 breweries between 3 forks and Hill City. Rapid City city counsel meets tonight, and there’s talk Deadwood might be opening up soon. Here’s hoping, most of our cases of the virus are east river.
On a side note saw quite a few out of state license plates, it looks like the tourists are starting to come. Maybe they’re escapees from the “lockdown” states.

jerrydonna
04-27-2020, 09:03 AM
June !!!

UtahPete
04-27-2020, 01:23 PM

:popcorn:

RapidSpyder
05-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Deadwood opened back up last Thursday, we’ve been up there a couple times. Not quite as busy as normal but it was nice to see tourists out. Seeing more out of state license plates. They did however cancel the Hills Alive music festival for this summer which was around the same time as the Deadwood 3 wheeler rally.

ARtraveler
05-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Still watching to see if the three wheel rally in Deadwood is "officially" on or off. We were wanting to attend that one, but also a little hinky about a "second wave" of the virus kicking in. For us, attending is still up in the air.

We do not have to worry about hotel reservations because of relatives in Rapid City. We are covered there. He told us that Badlands National Park was now open.

He also mentioned that he just bought a 2015 Spyder RT. This will be his first. He is keeping the Gold Wing also. So if you see a pack of red, orange, and yellow spyders on the road...guess who?? :roflblack:

RapidSpyder
05-12-2020, 12:14 PM
My son’s 84 lives in my garage...

Brad0414
05-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Talked to Teresa yesterday and she said it is on !!!!!!

pegasus1300
05-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Still watching to see if the three wheel rally in Deadwood is "officially" on or off. We were wanting to attend that one, but also a little hinky about a "second wave" of the virus kicking in. For us, attending is still up in the air.

We do not have to worry about hotel reservations because of relatives in Rapid City. We are covered there. He told us that Badlands National Park was now open.

He also mentioned that he just bought a 2015 Spyder RT. This will be his first. He is keeping the Gold Wing also. So if you see a pack of red, orange, and yellow spyders on the road...guess who?? :roflblack:
I'll be looking for you.

RapidSpyder
05-27-2020, 10:37 PM
Just an update, the Buffalo Chip said that they were going ahead regardless of what the city of Sturgis decides to do. Sturgis is supposed to decide the 15th what they are going to do.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/coronavirus-wont-affect-buffalo-chip-plans-for-annual-rally/article_67b1fb1a-990b-5398-9148-2b5752b7cea9.html

NoahMercy
05-28-2020, 11:41 AM
Wifey is planning on taking her Spyder over for the trike rally, as long as I can tag along with my two-wheeler. Is that frowned upon?

RapidSpyder
05-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Wifey is planning on taking her Spyder over for the trike rally, as long as I can tag along with my two-wheeler. Is that frowned upon?

Well my son helps with rides and he is either on the Goldwing or his Victory so... Good question though. Under the FAQ on the site it says:

Will there be a problem if a person in our group is riding two-wheels while the rest of us are on 3?
While this event is designed with trikers in mind we certainly understand that everyone in your group may not be riding a trike. Two-wheeled registrants are welcome.

Cruzr Joe
05-28-2020, 05:26 PM

Absolutely not, all are welcomed

Cruzr Joe

SpyderAnn01
05-28-2020, 05:59 PM
That’s tge nice thing about the Spyder crowd we don’t discriminate against your ride.

RapidSpyder
06-16-2020, 07:43 AM
It’s official.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/sturgis-city-council-decides-80th-rally-is-on/article_10d7542d-8ce1-5c98-bdde-7e510f317683.html

jwulf74
06-16-2020, 08:37 AM
There are a lot of bikes in the area already. Lots of local riders of course, but a lot of out of staters too. We had to run up to Sturgis yesterday to pick up my daughters yearbook and there were a lot of tourists there even in the morning. The 80th won't likely be as big as originally expected, but I am guessing it will still be fairly big. People have been cooped up too long and want to get out...

mjsolis
06-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Can’t Waite to ride to the rally leaving from Texas on the 8th see you guys out their safe travels

RapidSpyder
06-22-2020, 10:21 PM
Can’t Waite to ride to the rally leaving from Texas on the 8th see you guys out their safe travels

If your coming from the east to the hills, the Badlands are worth driving through especially early morning or evening. If you’re coming up from the south, might consider Hwy 85 from Newcastle Wyoming up the west side of the Black Hills. Scenic drive.

ARtraveler
06-23-2020, 10:41 AM
If your coming from the east to the hills, the Badlands are worth driving through especially early morning or evening. If you’re coming up from the south, might consider Hwy 85 from Newcastle Wyoming up the west side of the Black Hills. Scenic drive.

I have done that many times. Early morning, and we have had the whole Park to ourselves. Did not even get asked to pay for a ticket, even though we have the Senior Pass. Best purchase I ever made to see the National Parks...now that we are back in the lower 48. :yes:

UtahPete
06-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Isn't anyone concerned about participating in what is probably the single largest public gathering in the country (Sturgis Rally) during the pandemic?

ARtraveler
06-23-2020, 12:08 PM
I am thinking that is on a lot of peoples minds. With the uptick in virus infections, we are staying away from gatherings. It also looks like we will not be coming to Utah in September either.

UtahPete
06-23-2020, 04:40 PM
I am thinking that is on a lot of peoples minds. With the uptick in virus infections, we are staying away from gatherings. It also looks like we will not be coming to Utah in September either.

That's wise. My wife and I have been super-cautious about limiting our exposure to other people and wearing a mask when we are out in public. One of the few social outlets Jane has is to meet once a week outdoors with four close women friends, who are also super-cautious. She just got word this morning that one of those 4 has tested positive. She would like to be tested to protect me if she has caught it, but Utah only tests those with symptoms. So, she can self-isolate from me for 2 weeks just in case or .....?

Stogeylink
06-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Some friends and I are going to going to be in Sturgis the week prior to the rally and leaving the day it starts. Staying in Hill City in a cabin. Just wanted to ride the Black Hills and see the place. Hope I see some fellow Spyder Ryders while I'm there. Will have my mask with me for when I am out and stopped at places where there are a lot of people. Can't be too cautious at my age...LOL.

jaherbst
06-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Two weeks prior to opening day is probably just as crowded as during the official happening. We have attended 20+ times. We always went the week before opening day and left one day before official opening. There are just as many people then and it is extremely crowded. One year we were there 800,000 people showed up and set a record for attendance during the week before and the official week.

If you want to avoid a crowd the week before would not be recommended. Attendance is the same as the official week of. FYI

Jack

bigbadbrucie
06-23-2020, 09:53 PM
I just saw on our evening news that the U.S. is in a state of increase in more of half of the country. Numbers are soaring in a lot of them. For those of you who are planning on going, take extra precautions.

JimboRTS
06-23-2020, 09:56 PM
I’m 76 and am going to go to Deadwood and the Sturgis Rally also. I feel I should not go to either, but hoping for the best. Mask and rubber gloves at all fuel stops. Deadwood should be a little safer than Sturgis less people. I will not walk around Sturgis people are way to close on the side walks in Sturgis. I didn’t think the city of Sturgis would hoist it. Most large events are being canceled. I’m sure there will be other people like me, going but knowing it’s a risk.

Jim

Geep
06-23-2020, 11:47 PM
Ride the Hills after Labor Day....tee shirts are still available, crowds gone, hotels cheaper...

jwulf74
06-24-2020, 09:46 AM
The city didn't really have a choice... people were going to show up no matter what. By keeping it official, that allowed them to put rules in place for vendors, out on the streets/sidewalks, and entertainment venues within their jurisdiction. It was almost a no win situation for them but I think they came up with a reasonable solution.

RapidSpyder
06-24-2020, 10:12 AM
The city didn't really have a choice... people were going to show up no matter what. By keeping it official, that allowed them to put rules in place for vendors, out on the streets/sidewalks, and entertainment venues within their jurisdiction. It was almost a no win situation for them but I think they came up with a reasonable solution.

Agreed, imagine all those people show up and no logistics there to provide for basic services. Definition of chaos...

ollicat
06-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Nobody has to worry about getting covid-19 from large gatherings. I have read numerous stories stating that there was NO uptick in virus transmissions due to all the mobs everywhere rioting. And very few of them were wearing masks. So we now know from our media that massive mobs are impervious to covid-19. So I would imagine that Sturgis folks will be fine too, if we extend the logic from the media.

remus
06-24-2020, 12:35 PM
higher temperatures and UV index seems to slow the covid 19 virus.

UtahPete
06-24-2020, 01:03 PM
higher temperatures and UV index seems to slow the covid 19 virus.

That must be why Texas and Arizona are reporting record daily increases in positive cases and deaths....

UtahPete
06-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Nobody has to worry about getting covid-19 from large gatherings. I have read numerous stories stating that there was NO uptick in virus transmissions due to all the mobs everywhere rioting. And very few of them were wearing masks. So we now know from our media that massive mobs are impervious to covid-19. So I would imagine that Sturgis folks will be fine too, if we extend the logic from the media.

Holy cow! By all means, please go to the rally!

BTW, 'the media' is so ambiguous a term as to be pretty meaningless...please cite your sources when making statements like this.

RapidSpyder
06-24-2020, 03:46 PM
After all if the media says it, it’s got to be true.

bigbadbrucie
06-24-2020, 04:09 PM

I agree......the media NEVER lies!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Peter Aawen
06-24-2020, 04:13 PM

I agree......the media NEVER lies!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:rolleyes: Yep, they're just a bit 'out there', aren't they?!? :gaah:

Here in Oz, with just over 7,500 cases total; almost 7,000 recovered; only 102 deaths nationally; and almost a month with no more cases detected, we thought we were doing pretty well.... :rolleyes: ..... and then the late May/Early June gathering relaxations & our own versions of the 'Black Lives Matter' protests happened - and no matter what you might think about the issue, the larger gatherings clearly weren't such a great idea!! :banghead: . Now, just on 2 weeks later, the feared 'up-tick' as a result is starting - particularly in one State; and particularly amongst those who attended the 'large & mainly unauthorised' protest gatherings.... but it's easy to see that here, where the total of new cases detected in the last couple of days after a clear break is only 30, and only 1 death amongst them... so far! :gaah:

I think it's gonna be with us for a bit of a while yet.... :shocked: :sour:

ARtraveler
06-24-2020, 05:49 PM
I do not want to rain on anyone's parade. But I do believe tonights news is very sobering.

Both ABC and CBS reported: today, 35,000 NEW Covid Cases were reported. A record.

They also both mentioned that they expect to see another 150,000 deaths by July 18th.

Please be very careful out there. :bowdown:

AN ADDITIONAL EDIT: Since posting this information, the last four days have resulted in the daily record of infections being broken each day. This pandemic is getting very scary.

troop
06-25-2020, 05:59 AM
Our group of (8) cancelled our Sturgis rooms last week. While it's still on, it won't be remotely the same rally. That said, (6) of us are now going to do a Colorado loop a week earlier..

Stogeylink
06-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Two weeks prior to opening day is probably just as crowded as during the official happening. We have attended 20+ times. We always went the week before opening day and left one day before official opening. There are just as many people then and it is extremely crowded. One year we were there 800,000 people showed up and set a record for attendance during the week before and the official week.

If you want to avoid a crowd the week before would not be recommended. Attendance is the same as the official week of. FYI

Jack

We are going to ride the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore and several of the areas. Sturgis is really on our agenda to roll through there on 1 day out of the 7. Actually just want to say I've been there and won't be stopping to look. Taking precautions but staying in a cabin in Hill City and away from Sturgis. My buddy's brother has been there a bunch and knows of the area and what to avoid.

Hope everyone enjoys their rides.

Gary/Stogeylink

johnnyg
06-27-2020, 09:09 PM
Carol & I are going were staying at tru by Hilton, were riding two burgundy 2016 F-3L {we call them the twins}

SuperG
06-27-2020, 11:02 PM
I'd love to go, but *no way in hell* would I go with the current spike in COVID-19 infections. I feel guilty though - cause I know some are gonna catch it there and it's really hard to not say to someone "you asked for it".

RapidSpyder
07-12-2020, 11:26 PM
Looks like a pretty good turnout. Not as many vendors this year. Several riders have shown up that didn’t pre-register. Look forward to doing some riding the few days. Even a few newbies to the Black Hills!

RapidSpyder
07-15-2020, 10:50 PM
My son and I took lots of pictures and video from the drones and go-pros. Hope to get them put together next week and post some for those who missed it. Couldn’t have asked for better weather.
It’s been nice to actually meet some of the people from the forum.

RapidSpyder
08-03-2020, 12:24 PM
Sturgis came early this year. I think everyone had the same idea. Lots of bikes westbound on I-90 yesterday. This was main street Deadwood yesterday afternoon. My son said Hill City was the same way.

RapidSpyder
08-03-2020, 02:29 PM
The lot at Black Hills Harley Davidson today, forgot to rotate phone.