PDA

View Full Version : Question: Does the "1330" triple engine need a??

Deanna777
04-17-2020, 10:20 AM
HI All,

During this pandemic (Covid-19) does the "1330" triple engine need to be put on a battery charger/maintainer?

Since people are in a "Stay Home, Stay Safe/or Lock Down orders per there governors in there states & since people are not riding as much as normal.

I am just putting this out there, because of the current pandemic.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't do that.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

I am only looking for suggestions or ideas. Also trying help other spyder riders on this site.

Everyone stay safe, healthy, wash hands, wear masks, practice social distancing, stay home. We will get thru this!

Deanna

BoilerAnimal
04-17-2020, 10:23 AM
A Battery Tender sure won't hurt!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Battery ...CHARGERS ... are different from Maintainers ..... read the directions on each and use accordingly ...... If I'm not actually riding my 14 RT it's on the maintainer .... I would only use a CHARGER, ( that has a meter built in ) to bring a battery up to FULL charge , then dis-connect and use a maintainer ..... A CHARGER can FRY a battery .... even the 1 Amp type / size ..... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-17-2020, 10:28 AM
HI All,

During this pandemic (Covid-19) does the "1330" triple engine need to be put on a battery charger/maintainer?

Since people are in a "Stay Home, Stay Safe/or Lock Down orders per there governors in there states & since people are not riding as much as normal.

I am just putting this out there, because of the current pandemic.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't do that.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

I am only looking for suggestions or ideas. Also trying help other spyder riders on this site.

Everyone stay safe, healthy, wash hands, wear masks, practice social distancing, stay home. We will get thru this!

Deanna

I know you had mentioned somewhere that your spyder was soon coming out of winter shutdown. I am guessing that you do have a battery tender hooked up for that.

When we moved from AK to AR, it took over 70 days for the furniture and bikes to arrive. All three bikes were put on a truck with no battery tenders attached. All three started up first try. I am thinking you will be OK for the rest of the duration.

MeudtPG
04-17-2020, 10:32 AM
I have many of these for all my bikes, lawnmowers & generators and keep them plugged in (with harness plug to battery) constant when equipment is not being used. Have for years without any failures or dead batteries.
Use them for sure.

Deanna777
04-17-2020, 10:34 AM
I know you had mentioned somewhere that your spyder was soon coming out of winter shutdown. I am guessing that you do have a battery tender hooked up for that.

When we moved from AK to AR, it took over 70 days for the furniture and bikes to arrive. All three bikes were put on a truck with no battery tenders attached. All three started up first try. I am thinking you will be OK for the rest of the duration.

Yes, during the winter shutdown( Spyder) it was on a battery tender when it was in hibernation.

Thanks, I am putting the suggestion out there.

Deanna

PMK
04-17-2020, 10:49 AM
If you have a true battery maintainer, then why not. If you do not have the correct type maintainer, then skip it.

The correct type maintainer has a mode that desulfates the batteries plates.

Steve W.
04-17-2020, 12:31 PM
If you have a true battery maintainer, then why not. If you do not have the correct type maintainer, then skip it.

The correct type maintainer has a mode that desulfates the batteries plates.

The problem with that is that many people THINK they have the right type.

PMK
04-17-2020, 06:00 PM
The problem with that is that many people THINK they have the right type.

More correctly, many have insisted they have the correct type, and do not. Myself, I no longer even get concerned about what others are using or not regarding battery maintainers. Often here there is a Sheeple mentality, far better to read about what others use, then research and validate yourself for what is best for you. Belt tensioner / dampers are another sheeple topic.

Wildrice
04-17-2020, 06:14 PM
More correctly, many have insisted they have the correct type, and do not. Myself, I no longer even get concerned about what others are using or not regarding battery maintainers. Often here there is a Sheeple mentality, far better to read about what others use, then research and validate yourself for what is best for you. Belt tensioner / dampers are another sheeple topic.

Baaa--Baa--Baa :-)

viperryder
04-18-2020, 07:48 AM
I've got a 2014 RTS SE6 and in the fall, after last ryde, I put the Spyder on a battery maintainer until spring. Last Sunday, 15 April 2020, I went out to start the Spyder, on the first push of the button it popped right off. Hope this helps.

Joel The Biker
04-18-2020, 07:51 AM
I have found that the Battery Tender Jr pictured in the above post, works flawlessly. It is also available at Walmart and everyone has one of those near them. Mine was located near the air compressors in our store, not near the car batteries.

RapidSpyder
04-18-2020, 08:15 AM
Hey Joel your ride looks sharp! Back to topic...

Deanna777
04-18-2020, 03:02 PM
I use the Battery Tender JR. 12V 750mA, 1.25A. Can be used for all outdoor vehicles.

Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode,

Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety-Red & Green lights alternately flash in this condition.

Spark proof,

Correctly Charges and Maintains all flooded AGM,Gel, and sealed maintenance free batteries.

I also have a 2014RTS-SE6 when the spyder goes into winter storage in the fall, it goes on the Battery Tender Jr. then in the spring when spyder comes out of hibernation it also starts right up, and I am ready to ride!

I have been using the above since 2012.

I am just putting this out there.

Deanna

ARtraveler
04-18-2020, 03:07 PM
I use the Battery Tender JR. 12V 750mA, 1.25A. Can be used for all outdoor vehicles.

Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode,

Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety-Red & Green lights alternately flash in this condition.

Spark proof,

Correctly Charges and Maintains all flooded AGM,Gel, and sealed maintenance free batteries.

I also have a 2014RTS-SE6 when the spyder goes into winter storage in the fall, it goes on the Battery Tender Jr. then in the spring when spyder comes out of hibernation it also starts right up, and I am ready to ride!

I have been using the above since 2012.

I am just putting this out there.

Deanna

YUP! I have four of them and counting. Only needed one for the John Deere this winter though. Bikes never were on chargers this year, there was no winter layup.

KX5062
04-19-2020, 10:05 AM
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W46BX31/ref=psdc_15707061_t3_B000CITK8S

Mazo EMS2
04-19-2020, 10:06 AM
I have many of these for all my bikes, lawnmowers & generators and keep them plugged in (with harness plug to battery) constant when equipment is not being used. Have for years without any failures or dead batteries.
Use them for sure.

^^^^THIS^^^^ Deanna. I use them on all of my power equipment. They "maintain"...in other words only slowly charge when needed. And yes, if your bike is still gonna sit, you should hook one up. My guess is the dealer had it hooked up during storage

Deanna777
04-21-2020, 11:06 AM
^^^^THIS^^^^ Deanna. I use them on all of my power equipment. They "maintain"...in other words only slowly charge when needed. And yes, if your bike is still gonna sit, you should hook one up. My guess is the dealer had it hooked up during storage

MazoEMS2, Yes, I do use the Battery Tender Jr. 12V. It maintains a charge/and switches to automatically floats.

Yes, my bike will continue to sit, and I'll hook it up. The dealer did have it hooked up when in storage during the winter months.

Deanna

ndspyderlover
04-21-2020, 12:13 PM
I have had 4 spyders and I stored them in the winter months. I have never used a charger or a maintainer on any of them. They start right up in the spring.

Deanna777
04-21-2020, 12:39 PM
I have had 4 spyders and I stored them in the winter months. I have never used a charger or a maintainer on any of them. They start right up in the spring.

What do you use to keep the battery charged in the winter months?

Deanna

ndspyderlover
04-21-2020, 07:12 PM
I do not use anything . I just start it and ride.

Deanna777
04-22-2020, 07:00 PM
I do not use anything . I just start it and ride.

I see you are from North Dakota, so you must get the cold/ and snow in the winter from the great lake?

Deanna

ndspyderlover
04-22-2020, 07:37 PM
We are not near any great lake. I disconnect the battery n the winter.

Deanna777
04-23-2020, 02:17 PM
We are not near any great lake. I disconnect the battery n the winter.

Ok.

Deanna