PDA

View Full Version : Battery recommendations

Revrent
04-10-2020, 10:50 AM
I tried a search but could not find any recommendations on battery's. My wife has a 2018 F3L and we have had a few friends that have been stuck on the road with bad batteries and I am going to be proactive on replacement's for her bike. I have seen where others have gone 4 plus years without replacements but with all the traveling we plan on doing, its just easier to replace every 2 to 3 years.

What batteries are you replacing your OEM batteries with?

Thank you
John

ARtraveler
04-10-2020, 11:01 AM
OEM for all my replacements. Mostly every 4 years...needed or not.

Navydad
04-10-2020, 11:01 AM
You will probably get the most votes for the OEM Yuasa which is a good battery.

JayBros
04-10-2020, 11:08 AM
How old were the batteries your friends were stuck on the road with? What kind were they? If your wife does not ride routinely, like at least once/week, do you use a battery tender, not trickle charger? For far less than the price of a new battery you can get a Rugged Geek jump start battery pack that you can carry on tour. IMO, replace the Yuasa OEM with another factory filled, YUAM7250H YTX24HL.

Motorcycledave
04-10-2020, 11:10 AM
I tried a search but could not find any recommendations on battery's. My wife has a 2018 F3L and we have had a few friends that have been stuck on the road with bad batteries and I am going to be proactive on replacement's for her bike. I have seen where others have gone 4 plus years without replacements but with all the traveling we plan on doing, its just easier to replace every 2 to 3 years.

Thank you
John

If not OEM then go to Batteries Plus they are everywhere.

bigbadbrucie
04-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Every bike I’ve owned has come stock with Yuasa batteriesf, and I’ve always replaced with Yuasa. For my dollar, they are the best! Only one exception was my first bike....a 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc one lunger.

Haze
04-10-2020, 11:30 AM
This is what I purchased from BatteryStuff.com
276 Tech Way Grants Pass OR 97526

Manufactured by Yuasa in the US factory.
YTX24HL-BS motorcycle battery by Motocross (Yuasa) YTX24HL-BS $92.95

LifeLongRider
04-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Yuasa

Flamewinger
04-10-2020, 12:19 PM
The 2 choices are Yuasa YTX24HL or YTX24HL-BS (the BS means Bottle Supplied) I bought mine off Amazon and the dealer filled it before shipping. I put it on a Battery Tender jr for a few days before installing. The BS version can be stored until you need it. I found the original battery failing and had to replace. I believe many dealers don't prep the batteries before installing so they die early. Try getting a warranty replacement and make sure they fully charge it before install.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-10-2020, 12:46 PM

Yuasa OEM gives you the best value for your money overall. You'll see many comments here urging you to buy a factory charged one ready to use, but a few of us don't necessarily agree. I agree with Flamewinger that the -BS version is a good way to go. You can leave it sit for months before you need it. You must adhere to two instructions however, to make sure the -BS lasts as long as possible. First, after filling it with acid let it sit for at least a full day to let the acid fully soak the plates. Then put it on a low level charge like about 2 amps and let it fully charge. That might be a few days. A good battery maintainer/charger like a Battery Tender works good for that.

The Spyder battery is one instance where it is pretty tough to do anything better than what comes from the factory.

Mikey
04-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Mine went last year, went to Lamonster Garage, got a moto bat from him!!! Has two sets of posts, working fine for me so far!!

h0gr1der
04-10-2020, 02:12 PM
There were a few failures on new Yuasa batteries in the later year Spyders. If found out that the Can Am group only warranties factory supplied batteries 6 months, when you can get a year off of almost any battery purchased from an alternate source. 180312

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-10-2020, 03:52 PM
There were a few failures on new Yuasa batteries in the later year Spyders. If found out that the Can Am group only warranties factory supplied batteries 6 months, when you can get a year off of almost any battery purchased from an alternate source.
Here's what Amazon has about Yuasa warranty.

Warranty & Support
Warranty, Parts:Yuasa does not handle warranty issues directly. All inquiries should be directed to the dealer where the battery was purchased. Their distributor sets the warranty period and handles all claims. Time frame is not specified by Yuasa, but the majority of the distributors give 6 months free repalcement, provided the customer has dated proof of purchase. Proper testing of the battery is required to be performed, at the certified Yuasa dealer, in order to submit a claim.
When I go to Avid Cycles, the dealer listed by Amazon as the seller for the one I bought, their product descriptions for Yuasa batteries say one year manufacturer's warranty. So, even though Yuasa has a good reputation if you do get one that craps out on you, you might have a challenge getting it replaced. I wanted to see what the paperwork with the battery shows, but I guess I've tossed it. The downside of buying a BS version is the warranty starts when you buy it. If you hang on to it, like I did for 10 months, before using it, there will be no warranty. I've always operated on the premise that battery warranties are mostly marketing ploys. The only time I've had one pay off was when the battery in my pickup died at less than two years and Costco replaced it at no charge.

h0gr1der
04-10-2020, 04:03 PM
I used a Deka, made in Pennsylvania where Yuasa is made. It has a 1 year warranty. My Yuasa had a dead cell after the warranty period had expired, 10 months to be exact. If the Deka gives me good service, I expect that's the one I'll stick with. Cheaper and local too.

T.P.
04-10-2020, 04:10 PM
At Batteries Plus you can get a Duracell Ultra AGM with A 24 month free replacement.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/motorcycle/can=am/spyder-f3-limited-(se6)/1330cc/2017/cyl10007

I had bought Interstate batteries for years for my Valkyrie only to have to bring them in for replacement before the year was up.

T.P.

MrMagicFingers
04-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Odyssey batteries have always been my go to for the Goldwings. Quality heavy duty AGM. I would imagine that they have the proper assortment for the Spyders.

Tim

PaladinLV
04-10-2020, 05:30 PM
PowerStar HD YTX24HL-BS 12V 24Ah Battery for Motorcycle
3 Year Free Replacement Warranty

AJ

Thank you
John

merlot
04-10-2020, 05:35 PM
i replaced my battery with a Deka deka-etx18l it's not a BS tho

but the top clamp needs slight mod with a hammer or the tangs will damage the battery

made in US...delivered to my door.....similar specs....similar price.....dual posts,which are a boon if you have accessories directly connected to the battery(battery charger,tyre pump,trailer harness it was getting messy)

when i tested the "old" battery,it wasnt too bad(unknown history tho, as second hand bike) so im fitting it into the trailer,to keep weight down

russ

Navydad
04-10-2020, 07:22 PM
I have a buddy who has an independent bike shop. I help out during the busy times and I get goodies like tires and filters for my work. He took on Anti-Gravity lithium ion batteries last year and I am his official Guinea Pig for new products. I have the jump start version in my Yamaha and one in my Honda. So far I have been very pleased with this battery. I am not really a fan of the lith/ion batteries, but two freebies to test for the cause was too much to pass up. As an experiment both bikes sat most of the winter. The Yamaha had the lith/ion tender on it and the Honda had nothing. Both started and ran just fine this spring. When the OEM in my Spyder RT dies I may give the Ant-Gravity battery a try.

Rishathra
01-31-2021, 04:20 PM
@Navydad - Bummer, Anti-Gravity website only lists BRP ATV's and UTV's. And I did a search on just the battery model and it didn't list anything at all :gaah:

My 2016 RT is just now giving me grief about starting, so I'm hoping to get one before it goes completely. I was looking at the Lithium-Ion from Batteries Plus, anyone with experience or opinions on it?

Thanks.

RayBJ
01-31-2021, 07:34 PM
I installed this last week.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JV8X181/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2dogs
01-31-2021, 07:48 PM
Yuasa

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-31-2021, 10:11 PM
@Navydad - Bummer, Anti-Gravity website only lists BRP ATV's and UTV's. And I did a search on just the battery model and it didn't list anything at all :gaah:

My 2016 RT is just now giving me grief about starting, so I'm hoping to get one before it goes completely. I was looking at the Lithium-Ion from Batteries Plus, anyone with experience or opinions on it?

Thanks.
What is the main driver for you to look at getting a Li-on battery? You've gotten 4+ years out the OEM haven't you? The general consensus here is that from the standpoint of value for the $ the Yuasa is hard to beat. You just have to treat them properly. In my experience with both motorcycles and ATVs the Yuasa delivers. Any brand of battery will serve up a bummer every once in awhile.

Possible
01-31-2021, 10:32 PM
FWIW, I gave up on Yuasa when they priced themselves out of my range. I get my batteries from Wally World and they last 4-5 years and
run about 1/2 the cost, or less, of a Yuasa.

RayBJ
01-31-2021, 11:37 PM
My experience with Lithium batteries is they save weight & space and supposed to hold charge longer than AGM. I did it for space to stuff relay & wad of wires back there.

LITHIUM DOWNSIDE:
- They don't like cold temps <35F. They need to be warmed up by turning lights, etc on for a couple minutes when 'dead'.
Happened to me on my sport tourer in Fairplay Co. 8am 26F bike dead, left key on w/DRLs & heated gear on for 3 mins, boom! Started like normal (but a scary few minutes). That problem may not be an issue when you live close to the equator.
- You need a special charger made for LiIon.
- 3x more $$$ than AGM

ulflyer
02-15-2021, 04:32 PM
FWIW, I gave up on Yuasa when they priced themselves out of my range. I get my batteries from Wally World and they last 4-5 years and
run about 1/2 the cost, or less, of a Yuasa.

What brand? AJC, Mighty Max?

Possible
02-15-2021, 04:46 PM
EverStart is the latest name in the Interceptor. And the one in the RV is also from WallyWorld and was
bought in 2015.

I never seemed to get more life from the Yuasa than from other brands, and the price was always waaaay
up there. Just didn't seem to be worth the premium.