PDA

View Full Version : So My F3 gives off lots of heat from engine. Need suggestions

acdcking12
04-09-2020, 03:31 PM
So I have been wearing shorts on rides, but yesterday the temps hit 80's and I got a crap ton of heat from the engine on my lower legs by the ankles. SO I need some sort of pant.

Can you guys give suggestions on pants that will keep me cooler in the summer that are not jeans, etc?

I do not need all of that protection or anything like that

Peteoz
04-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Hopefully someone will come along shortly with some suggestions for you, ac, but the issue is, everyone has different sensitivity levels, so what works for them may not work for you. I recently rode my F3-L (which model F3 do you have?), for 2 hours in 110 degrees, in normal jeans, and didn’t notice undue heat. Here’s hoping someone has something that will work for you :thumbup:

Pete

acdcking12
04-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Hopefully someone will come along shortly with some suggestions for you, ac, but the issue is, everyone has different sensitivity levels, so what works for them may not work for you. I recently rode my F3-L (which model F3 do you have?), for 2 hours in 110 degrees, in normal jeans, and didn’t notice undue heat. Here’s hoping someone has something that will work for you :thumbup:

Pete

I have a 2016 F3-T

JP58
04-09-2020, 06:51 PM
I wear mesh riding pants in summer.

Bob204bc
04-18-2020, 02:48 PM
Well, it's water cooled so you have a tea kettle exhausting heat right in front of your legs. All Can Ams and large motorcycles have this problem to a certain degree. I see many HD riders in shorts and I have never been able to understand how they stand it. Either their legs must be cocked wide apart or they are only traveling a mile or two. The heat from a water cooled engine seems to be worse than an air cooled one but that is just my experience.

You won't feel it as much on a fully faired machine such as a Gold Wing or probably a RT. The F3, however has no provision to duct the hot air away. My solution is to wear riding pants or jeans (and boots).

RICZ
04-18-2020, 03:46 PM
The main reason I installed an RLS cat delete was to eliminate the heat from the cat. You might want to do that too. Nice throaty sound and no louder.
Decades of touring taught me that when riding in extreme temps (either hot or cold) I wear longies under my pants. That does wonders for reflecting heat or cold. Lately, I wear Cycle Gear Heat-Out / Freeze-Out because THEY WORK!

Rattlebars
04-18-2020, 07:56 PM
. I see many HD riders in shorts and I have never been able to understand how they stand it. Either their legs must be cocked wide apart or they are only traveling a mile or two.

Being a saloon bike, that's usually the extent of it. I do have a few HD riders who will join us for longer rides and they do complain about the heat. Baker has a set of leg wings, but I have no data on them.

SpyderAnn01
04-18-2020, 11:06 PM
Jeans with boots will be cooler than shorts. Mesh riding pants will help but the boots will keep you cooler.

RICZ
04-18-2020, 11:20 PM
No exposed skin in the sun, skin cancer is a mean killer. You don't want to have to mess with it. This from a cancer patient - not melanoma.

Gwolf
04-19-2020, 06:18 AM
Get out of town and get some hurricane force winds blowing past your legs. They will stay cool enough. I ride when it is over 100 degrees and the heat doesn't bother me at all.