PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Question

Stick
04-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Wanted to get the Altimax RT43 to replace the Kendra rear tire on my RTS-SM6. But can't find it in the exact same size as original. I notice here on the forum some have deviated a bit in tire size from the original. Would altering size not cause computer, ABS etc. type problems? Thanks for any input!
Stick
P.S. Finally giving up on the Kendra tires. Two rears at 7500 miles each is quite enough!

SpyderAnn01
04-06-2020, 01:13 PM
I run the 215/60R15 and have for years. No trouble with ABS or anything else.

Stick
04-06-2020, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Ann!

Mazo EMS2
04-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Yup. 215/60/15 works great and gets your speedometer within 1/2 mph of actual. I had that tyre on my 2010 RT, and now on the 2016 RT. You'll love it!

LifeLongRider
04-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Two rears at 7500 miles each is quite enough!

I read this many times but don't really understand why. I'm just ready to turn 7200 miles on my Kenda rear and seriously, you can't see any wear on it. Still looks almost new. Admittedly I drive easy, ride solo, never two-up and keep 30psi cold in it, but still, how can you wear out a rear tire, even a Kenda, in 7500 miles? Beats me :dontknow:

PS: don't slay the messenger . . . I'm telling you the truth . . . . I can post pics if necessary

Stick
04-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Hi Rider - don't know what to tell ya. I too ride solo, easy riding senior, run about 28 lbs., and twice now I've gotten only 7500 miles per rear tire. A dealer told me that is exactly the mileage the manufacturer predicts for the Kendra. You're having better luck, to be sure, but I'm moving on. With Ann and Mazo's response above, I'm gonna give the Altimax a try. Thanks.

Mazo EMS2
04-06-2020, 02:49 PM
I read this many times but don't really understand why. I'm just ready to turn 7200 miles on my Kenda rear and seriously, you can't see any wear on it. Still looks almost new. Admittedly I drive easy, ride solo, never two-up and keep 30psi cold in it, but still, how can you wear out a rear tire, even a Kenda, in 7500 miles? Beats me :dontknow:

PS: don't slay the messenger . . . I'm telling you the truth . . . . I can post pics if necessary

You obviously got VERY lucky and got one of the rare good Kenda tires. Most people get about 8500 and have to replace. I got just under 8000 with both the Kendas I had and replaced with Generals....Ride on em til ya can't no more...LOL

Wmoater
04-06-2020, 04:18 PM
My Kendra was shot at 7200 on the dot. I rode very easy too. I replaced mine with 215/60R15 Altimax. Awesome tire!

LifeLongRider
04-06-2020, 04:57 PM
Pics of my odo and rear tire - pic is a little deceiving, tire shows almost no wear. Also, I did a laser alignment just after delivery (yes, it was out of alignment from the factory). I keep the two fronts at 19psi cold and they also show almost no wear. Maybe the newer Kendas are lasting longer . . mine is a 2019.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Kenda, and BRP probably, have gone back and forth on the rubber compound used in them. Early tires got good mileage, then for several years the compound was softer and that's when the 7000+ mileage started showing up. I'm not sure when they changed back to a harder compound but the newer tires are generally getting mileage such as you have. We're waiting for some users to post their experiences with the new after market Kenda Kanine. It's possible that the same rubber is being used in both the OEM tires and the Kanines.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-06-2020, 05:35 PM
Wanted to get the Altimax RT43 to replace the Kendra rear tire on my RTS-SM6. But can't find it in the exact same size as original. I notice here on the forum some have deviated a bit in tire size from the original. Would altering size not cause computer, ABS etc. type problems? Thanks for any input!
Yep, deviation is the case. Almost no one makes a car tire in the OEM Spyder size. Our choice has been the OEM Kenda or similar crappy tire in the OEM size, or a good car tire in a non-OEM size. Nanny can readily tolerate some variation in tire size, at least for sure within the range that will physically fit a Spyder. The larger diameter brings the speedometer reading closer to actual speed. If you really want to learn all about this, and get bleary eyed doing it, search car tires here on the forum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posting about all things car tire!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Yep, deviation is the case. Almost no one makes a car tire in the OEM Spyder size. Our choice has been the OEM Kenda or similar crappy tire in the OEM size, or a good car tire in a non-OEM size. Nanny can readily tolerate some variation in tire size, at least for sure within the range that will physically fit a Spyder. The larger diameter brings the speedometer reading closer to actual speed. If you really want to learn all about this, and get bleary eyed doing it, search car tires here on the forum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posting about all things car tire!

" some varition " ???? .... in reality there is no tire made that will fit an OEM spyder that will cause a Nanny issue - period ..... Mike :thumbup:

merlot
04-06-2020, 05:55 PM
hi lifelong
difficult to see in your pic but its looking pretty close to the wear bars
the tyre wears the middle 2inches,and the outside looks meaty,fooling you into thinking it isnt worn
tyre middle wears due to centrifugal ballooning,not inflation pressure(personal experience having tried various pressures)so its difficult to control
you find out its worn,tho,when it rains and you aquaplane

to be safe,best to have tyre inspected by tyre service centre:thumbup::thumbup:
stay safe
russ

this tyre has 5000kms or 3100miles
you can just make out the increased wear towards the middle
i will be refitting this tyre as it has another 3000 or so kms left in it
https://i.imgur.com/Orb9Ee8l.jpg?1

Stick
04-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info, guys and gals. Much appreciated. Very helpful!
Stick

Peter Aawen
04-06-2020, 07:19 PM
hi lifelong
difficult to see in your pic but its looking pretty close to the wear bars
the tyre wears the middle 2inches,and the outside looks meaty,fooling you into thinking it isnt worn
tyre middle wears due to centrifugal ballooning,not inflation pressure(personal experience having tried various pressures)so its difficult to control
you find out its worn,tho,when it rains and you aquaplane

to be safe,best to have tyre inspected by tyre service centre:thumbup::thumbup:
stay safe
russ

this tyre has 5000kms or 3100miles
you can just make out the increased wear towards the middle
i will be refitting this tyre as it has another 3000 or so kms left in it
https://i.imgur.com/Orb9Ee8l.jpg?1

:agree: Altho when you look at Merlot's pic (above) be aware that the 'bar' you can see in the foreground is NOT a tread wear bar - the actual tread wear bars in that pic are just visible up near the top of the tire, showing that there is still a little wear left in that tire.... that said, I don't think there's as much as 3000 km or so left in it, especially not for our (approaching) winter, or Russ's winter down in the far South of Australia in the wild & wet areas of Tasmania where he habitually resides (& rydes!) :lecturef_smilie:

So check those (proper) tread wear bars LifeLong, you might not have as much tire left as you think! :gaah:

Navydad
04-06-2020, 07:43 PM

No harm to the messenger. Where you ride and how you ride make a huge difference in tire wear. I got 6000 out of the original Kenda and I was surprised I got that many miles. Here in my riding territory the roads are crooked and I ride hard. Lots of G-forces, tire spin, and giggles. That is how you get less than 7500 miles from a Kenda. I went through my first Altimax in 20,000.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-06-2020, 07:58 PM
" some varition " ???? .... in reality there is no tire made that will fit an OEM spyder that will cause a Nanny issue - period ..... Mike :thumbup:
W e l l l l l l l l l !! I did say "at least for sure within the range that will physically fit a Spyder." :cheers:

lwedwards
04-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Roads have a lot to do with it also. When I was in California and still riding Harley's I could only get about 7,000 miles on the stock Dunlop 402 and usually went to a different brand. Once I ,oved to Oklahoma and had to have new tires I was new to the area and the only place I could find was a Harley dealer and he put 402's on it and I got over 15,000 miles on them. The way I rode didn't change so all I could think was different was the roads. That being said I got a 2019 Spyder RT Limited in October and I have over 7,700 miles on it now with the original tire and it is still going strong, just waiting to go to the Dark Side.

Deanna777
04-07-2020, 06:50 PM
You obviously got VERY lucky and got one of the rare good Kenda tires. Most people get about 8500 and have to replace. I got just under 8000 with both the Kendas I had and replaced with Generals....Ride on em til ya can't no more...LOL

I got 5,824 miles on the OEM rear tire. It was a Kenda.

Since then I went with the General.

Deanna

Deanna777
04-07-2020, 06:59 PM
Kenda, and BRP probably, have gone back and forth on the rubber compound used in them. Early tires got good mileage, then for several years the compound was softer and that's when the 7000+ mileage started showing up. I'm not sure when they changed back to a harder compound but the newer tires are generally getting mileage such as you have. We're waiting for some users to post their experiences with the new after market Kenda Kanine. It's possible that the same rubber is being used in both the OEM tires and the Kanines.

When I bought my 2014 RTS-SE6 the end of July( which was brand new) I put on 5,824 miles on the Kenda rear tire. It was not safe to drive at the time, Mike(Blueknight911) even said it was not safe to drive. Also, he recommended to me the General Altimax RT 43 tire for the rear tire.

Deanna

sduskin
04-07-2020, 07:47 PM
Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H is what I have on my '14 RT-S SM6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QL6DWS

ISPYD
04-08-2020, 05:56 AM
Who put the General on? The dealership here will not put anything on but what they sell

ThreeWheels
04-08-2020, 07:56 AM

No one is questioning your veracity.
Nevertheless, your experience is most unique.
Almost all of us have gotten around 7K miles off the stock Kenda tires.
Kenda has recently come out with new Kanine tires as a response to complaints about the longevity of their tires.
There's not a lot of experience with these yet.
I'm just speculating, perhaps you have a Kanine ??

EdMat
04-08-2020, 08:27 AM

My 2019 RT now has 7,000 + miles and the rear kenda looks great. I think what we have here is the rubber content has been hardened over what it was in the past. I'm almost disappointed because I am looking forward to going to the dark side with different tires.

Mazo EMS2
04-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Who put the General on? The dealership here will not put anything on but what they sell

I just had the local tire guy install mine. I took the wheel off and took it to him, as most do.

Deanna777
04-08-2020, 07:42 PM

My Dealership installed the General Altimax RT43 tire, and I signed a wavier.

Deanna

Dudley
04-08-2020, 10:58 PM
That tire looks almost brand new.

Revalden
04-08-2020, 11:09 PM
Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H is what I have on my '14 RT-S SM6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QL6DWS

I put this Kumho on my rear several months ago and it holds curves/corners very well and I tend to push it when I ryde, but I haven't done any twisties on it yet. I'm itchin' to get out and start twitchin'.

Fast4
04-09-2020, 07:21 PM
This tire looks like the new one my dealer installed. I looked at it and said it is down to the wear indicator already, how do you know when it is worn out? When you get down to 1/2 the centre indicator is usually when people change them out. Did that on the first tire 9,000 miles, now getting down to half again but used mostly 2 up 5,000 miles. Last tire buying from dealer, will also be buying an aftermarket. I used to teach mechanics, the indicators they use on their tires are worst I have experienced. Love the Spyder's operation, but some of the information supplied by BRP and the dealers is questionable.

nightcruiser
04-26-2020, 04:12 PM
why 215?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-26-2020, 05:31 PM
why 215?
For rear tire size? Because very, very, few car tires are manufactured in the 225/50R15 size. 215/60R15 fits nicely.

Peter Aawen
04-26-2020, 06:27 PM
For rear tire size? Because very, very, few car tires are manufactured in the 225/50R15 size. 215/60R15 fits nicely.

There is that! ^^ Aaaand, being ever so slightly narrower, it'll most likely tend to further minimise both the tendency to wear the rear tire out in the middle of the tread and also to lessen any propensity of the 'big wide rear tire' might have in causing your Spyder/Ryker to hydroplane on a wet enough road! :ohyea: It won't completely remove the possibility of either, but it'll certainly reduce those tendency's! :thumbup:

Oh, and the marginal sidewall height increase due to the 60 profile instead of the 50 profile will help to reduce the 'built in' speedo over-read; so it'll probably be showing you a speed that's a bit closer to your true speed instead of telling you you're doing 60 when you're more likely to be doing closer to 54.... and that same correction will also help correct your odometer & trip meter readings too!! Sure, the factory 'built in' error on both isn't going to be any greater that 10% over, but it's still an error that the slightly larger rolling diameter tire will reduce, so why wouldn't you if it's that easy and by a simple choice like that, you can?!? :dontknow:

Enjoy! :2thumbs: