PDA

View Full Version : Can-am Spyder Belt tensioner

johnny canuck
03-29-2020, 02:12 PM
Has anyone or does anyone have the "Can-Am" brand belt tensioner on their Spyder? If so..... How well does it work and how well does it hold up?
Thank's in advance.
Johnny

Mazo EMS2
03-29-2020, 02:49 PM
I have a belt tensioner from Doc. I like it. If you do a search. you'll find lots of info on them

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Of all the belt tensioner options being sold, the one from BRP has the lowest success / longevity rate ... I had vibe issues which I solved ( on my 14 RT ) by using a tension rate of 160lbs ...measured ON THE GROUND .... I used the KritKit to do this ...... good luck .... Mike :ohyea:

JP58
03-29-2020, 06:14 PM
I've had mine for 11,000 miles BRP with Lamonster roller. Still going strong. I had doc humphrey's. 3000 miles and spring broke and pivot wore out.

Gwolf
03-29-2020, 06:17 PM
The OEM belt tension roller is still good on mine at a little over 9,000 miles.

rdkarl
03-30-2020, 05:43 AM
Has anyone or does anyone have the "Can-Am" brand belt tensioner on their Spyder? If so..... How well does it work and how well does it hold up?
Thank's in advance.
Johnny

You can buy the Can Am tensioner with the upgraded roller here. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-am-spyder-f3-rt-belt-tensioner-idler-pulley-lamonster/ I have over 8000 miles with this setup and no problems.

irvin48
03-30-2020, 08:40 AM
good to know. i just took docs off and am going to try the lamonster setup.
the roller is MUCH larger. i have extra rollers and the updated spring for docs.
it has been very reliable for over 14,000 miles. just want to try the other setup.
docs original spring broke but the replacement had no prob. i also maintained,
checked, and kept moving parts lubed.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-30-2020, 09:34 AM
good to know. i just took docs off and am going to try the lamonster setup.
the roller is MUCH larger. i have extra rollers and the updated spring for docs.
it has been very reliable for over 13,000 miles. just want to try the other setup.
docs original spring broke but the replacement had no prob. i also maintained,
checked, and kept moving parts lubed.
I trust you're aware Doc Humphrey is no longer a presence here at SL, or anywhere else on the Internet. He and all his products have evaporated to who knows where, or why. Some of his instructions are still up on Wordpress.

bcer960
03-30-2020, 09:37 AM
I bought the BRP tensioner (when they first came out they were only for the F3) and modified it for the RT. It lasted less than 5000 miles and the bearing wore out. I, luckily, checked it regularly and took it off before it did any damage to my belt.
I have not replaced it. I have found the cost is not worth the benefit.

irvin48
03-30-2020, 10:11 AM
I trust you're aware Doc Humphrey is no longer a presence here at SL, or anywhere else on the Internet. He and all his products have evaporated to who knows where, or why. Some of his instructions are still up on Wordpress.

yes. heard it along with most others. have his air shock rock guard and side case stiffener kit too. very sad for all that happened. we all were enriched by his wisdom and products. it was heartbreaking to follow his posts.

irvin48
03-30-2020, 10:14 AM
I bought the BRP tensioner (when they first came out they were only for the F3) and modified it for the RT. It lasted less than 5000 miles and the bearing wore out. I, luckily, checked it regularly and took it off before it did any damage to my belt.
I have not replaced it. I have found the cost is not worth the benefit.

try lamonts roller on it. its available seperately.

larryd
03-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Check out this one... https://www.smoothspyder.com/ If you go with his, "you'll never need to do anything but ride with it" AND he's a forum sponsor...

Lew L
03-30-2020, 10:46 AM
Question---

Does anyone know for certian if Lamonster's roller upgrade will fit on Doc's roller arm???

TIA Lew L

Mazo EMS2
03-30-2020, 08:18 PM
I would like to go back to Mike's post here as well. I think there's something to be said about tweaking the belt tension. I had mine down to pretty much ZERO vibration, but once in a while I felt a bit. You know how it is, once ya get it in yer head......so I bought a tensioner on to get rid of that last little bit. Baby butt smooth now. I' do need to take a peak at it this spring before I put a bunch of miles on. So far I'd say there's about 2500 on the current setup from Doc

irvin48
03-31-2020, 08:11 AM
Question---

Does anyone know for certian if Lamonster's roller upgrade will fit on Doc's roller arm???

TIA Lew L

from what i can see, i would say-no. not w/o modifications.

Nobodyjj
03-31-2020, 08:25 AM
Smoothspyder works perfect on my STS. Fast service when ordered from Florida.

Lew L
03-31-2020, 11:02 AM
from what i can see, i would say-no. not w/o modifications.

Thanks irvin,

I was hoping for an actual " put Lamonsters roller on Doc's arm" response. Guess I'll make contact with Lamonster.

Lew L

MONK
03-31-2020, 03:21 PM
I'm a bit confused (it happens at my age). On LaMonsters site, it says, "SPYDER'S DO NOT COME STANDARD WITH A BELT TENSIONER, PLEASE VERIFY IF YOUR SPYDER HAS OEM TENSIONER BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER.".

I have a 2018 RTL. Before I remove a bunch of tupperware to check, how do I know if my ryde came with a belt tensioner or not? I have no problem buying LaMonsters complete set up but I'd rather not spend the money on the whole unit if all I need is an upgraded roller.

TIA

HAGO!

Ex-Rocket
03-31-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm a bit confused (it happens at my age). On LaMonsters site, it says, "SPYDER'S DO NOT COME STANDARD WITH A BELT TENSIONER, PLEASE VERIFY IF YOUR SPYDER HAS OEM TENSIONER BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER.".

I have a 2018 RTL. Before I remove a bunch of tupperware to check, how do I know if my ryde came with a belt tensioner or not? I have no problem buying LaMonsters complete set up but I'd rather not spend the money on the whole unit if all I need is an upgraded roller.

TIA

HAGO!

If you bought your Spyder new then it did not come with a belt tensioner, but if you bought it used it may or may not have one. If you bought used you can inspect under the left side where your belt is to see if there is one or not.

MONK
04-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Thanks a heap! I bought mine brand new (as a hold over/demo).

YIRYDE
04-01-2020, 10:22 AM

TIA

HAGO!

My girlfriend and I both brought 2018 F3T's (she purchased hers first) and both F3T's included a BRP belt tensioner that I would discover later. When I was test driving the F3T's I didn't notice any vibrations at all. I said, BRP finally got the vibration issue resolved after having this issue on my 2011 and 2014 RT's. I also thought Spyders didn't come standard with Belt Tensioners, when I discovered the tensioner I asked the dealers (purchased from different dealers) if they installed it and they said no. This would explain why no vibrations during the test rides because there was a tensioner already installed.

I purchased Lamont's upgraded roller as soon as I discovered the tensioner for both Spyders. So I guess some come with the tensioner from BRP and some don't which is why Lamont says to check if you have one already installed. The roller that Lamont sell is like night and day to the stock roller.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-01-2020, 12:55 PM
I don't have an F3 but reading all sorts of comments here I think the F3 belt is longer so vibration was a concern at BRP right from the get go. As a result they included the tensioner on the F3, but since the RT remained the same as previous years there was no need for one on it.

irvin48
04-01-2020, 03:44 PM
here lew, judge for yourself

Lew L
04-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Thanks irvin,

Looks like all that is needed is a bushing with a small shoulder on one end, no???? If I could get into my high school shop---- it would be a piece of cake. But I can't.

irvin48
04-01-2020, 06:06 PM
bearing is 50. whole thing 85. includes shipping.:):)