PDA

View Full Version : Pull behind trailer?

JP58
03-28-2020, 11:15 PM
Has anyone heard of a Gypsy by Karavan pull behind trailer. There is one for sale locally. its in great shape but can't find one anywhere or info on it. Worried about parts if needed.

RICZ
03-28-2020, 11:40 PM
I'd be worried about parts availability too. What color are you getting? Red like this?

Woodaddict
03-28-2020, 11:42 PM
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
now that's some link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICZ
03-28-2020, 11:46 PM
I'm trying to delete it, but ain't finding a way.

JP58
03-28-2020, 11:59 PM
It is black. Looks new. Wants 600 bucks.

RICZ
03-29-2020, 12:05 AM
For that price I would not worry about parts. Most trailer parts are over the counter, or simple fabrications. You are bound to get your money's worth out of it and then some.
Sorry about that link screw up. They don't make it easy to delete a post.

JP58
03-29-2020, 12:49 AM
Here is the trailer.

Peter Aawen
03-29-2020, 02:28 AM
I'm trying to delete it, but ain't finding a way.

Fixed it for you & sent a PM - 2 actually.... the 2nd one might be juuust a little BIG! Sorry! :opps:

LongIsland
03-29-2020, 08:57 AM
I agree with Ricz, you should be able to find any parts at any trailer location. There aren't too many things that can go wrong with these types of trailers. Since 2012 I have used the BRP 622 trailer (similar in looks to the Gypsy) and the only parts I have needed were a new tongue coupler and when I repack the wheel bearings, all procured locally.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Has anyone heard of a Gypsy by Karavan pull behind trailer. There is one for sale locally. its in great shape but can't find one anywhere or info on it. Worried about parts if needed.
Is there a manufacturers info plate on it anywhere? That may give more info.

oldgoat
03-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Looks a very nice trailer. I would not hesitate to buy it at that price.

Ex-Rocket
03-29-2020, 09:49 AM
I would think that there would have to be a manufactures plate with a model and serial number. Most states require you to license the trailer and you must have both M/N & S/N along with a title.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-29-2020, 10:00 AM
Is there a manufacturers info plate on it anywhere? That may give more info.

Google .... Karavan ... they have been around for quite awhile, unless they went out of business ..... Mike :ohyea:

JP58
03-29-2020, 11:02 AM
Google .... Karavan ... they have been around for quite awhile, unless they went out of business ..... Mike :ohyea:

I did. They only make boat and utility trailers now.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-29-2020, 11:04 AM
I did. They only make boat and utility trailers now.

:thumbup::thumbup: ........ But they might be a good source for re-placement parts :dontknow: ......... thanks for responding .... Mike :ohyea:

RICZ
03-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Keep the bearings greased and it should give you many years of service. Hint: If it doesn't have Bearing Buddies caps, put a pair on and the bearings should last longer. Harbor Freight has most all the trailer parts you'll ever need.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Buy it, and then you can brag about the fact you have the only in the world! A Google search using the image of the back end came up zero!

What does the seller say about where he got it? Maybe it's a different make with just a Karavan brand on it. Maybe it's just a decal someone stuck on there to personalize it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2020, 12:33 PM
One concern I would have about it is it looks like the frame is pretty small tubing. Considering how much shaking the tongue is subjected to when being pulled by a Spyder it might not be stout enough. If you do get it carry light loads only and keep a close watch on the frame where it connects to the tongue.

RICZ
03-29-2020, 12:47 PM
If IdahoMtnSpyder is right, you might want to do some reinforcing. That shouldn't be difficult if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle. :lecturef_smilie:

2dogs
03-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Assembly required. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200692633_200692633

Bfromla
03-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Here is the trailer.
Think may have seen behind gold wing & other bikes before
Not bad looking & reasonable price acceptable risk. Concerns would be wiring connections (probably a 4flat), lights & standard maintenance, looks could easily test pull with other vehicles before trying on Spyder find any quirks definitely wann shy away from carrying unsealed liquids when pulled by Spyder the tongue/hitch bounces too much. (Stays in control , just tough on trailers).

Revalden
03-29-2020, 06:16 PM
That thing is a piece of crap! But send me the seller's info, please. :thumbup:

Revalden
03-29-2020, 06:32 PM
One concern I would have about it is it looks like the frame is pretty small tubing. Considering how much shaking the tongue is subjected to when being pulled by a Spyder it might not be stout enough. If you do get it carry light loads only and keep a close watch on the frame where it connects to the tongue.

I keep my martini shaker bolted to the tongue. :ohyea:

canamjhb
03-29-2020, 06:42 PM
Looks like a nice trailer at a very good price. The frames bend around the front and both slip into the tongue where they are double bolted. It seems a strong configuration to me. I think if there were any strength issues, they would start to show up on the aft edge of the tongue, probably as small cracks at first. It would be easy to have all 3 pieces welded together maybe with a reinforcing plate. But I think that would be overkill. I'd buy it, use it, and not worry..... Jim

JP58
03-29-2020, 07:02 PM
Well I bought it. I pulled it home with my Nissan Sentra. It was empty so a little bumpy. Very nice shape. No cracks in body or frame Looked over well. Does have bearing buddys but pumping full of grease I hear is not good. Can trap moisture inside. Well worth the 550 I paid for it. It had the factory sticker on it May 2002. Made by Karavan Trailers.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2020, 07:14 PM
I think if there were any strength issues, they would start to show up on the aft edge of the tongue, probably as small cracks at first.
Yep. That's exactly, more of less, where my trailer tongue cracked. The break was at the front of the body where the up and down bouncing stress is greatest. It was a 2" x 0.060" thick square steel tube. When I discovered it at the end of a trip I had pulled it at least 300 miles with only about a 3/4" wide segment holding it together. It now has reinforcement welded all around and a beefier tube bolted inside.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Well I bought it. I pulled it home with my Nissan Sentra. It was empty so a little bumpy. Very nice shape. No cracks in body or frame Looked over well. Does have bearing buddys but pumping full of grease I hear is not good. Can trap moisture inside. Well worth the 550 I paid for it. It had the factory sticker on it May 2002. Made by Karavan Trailers.
Either they made only a handful of them or it's a different Karavan Trailers! Looking through the websites for them all the way back to 2003 archived by the Wayback Machine there is not one mention of the Gypsy or any other m/c trailer. Not even in their literature link.

Does the mfg label show Fox Lake, WI? If so that's the company, www.karavantrailers.com. Your mention of the bearing buddy is consistent with what I found there.

Bearing Buddies are intended to be pumped full until grease starts flowing out.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the PDF I downloaded from their 2003 website with info about all their trailers. The Gypsy is not mentioned but I'm sure many of the components like hubs, etc., are in the same as they used on other trailers. They call their bearing buddy units Sure Lube.

JP58
03-29-2020, 11:05 PM
Either they made only a handful of them or it's a different Karavan Trailers! Looking through the websites for them all the way back to 2003 archived by the Wayback Machine there is not one mention of the Gypsy or any other m/c trailer. Not even in their literature link.

Does the mfg label show Fox Lake, WI? If so that's the company, www.karavantrailers.com. Your mention of the bearing buddy is consistent with what I found there.

Bearing Buddies are intended to be pumped full until grease starts flowing out.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the PDF I downloaded from their 2003 website with info about all their trailers. The Gypsy is not mentioned but I'm sure many of the components like hubs, etc., are in the same as they used on other trailers. They call their bearing buddy units Sure Lube.

Yes the Title and label says Karavan Trailers Fox lake WI.