PDA

View Full Version : Elka Stage 4 rear shock question

NorthAlabamaSpyder
03-21-2020, 04:48 PM
This is probably dumb but for those of you that have put on aftermarket shocks did you keep the air bag? I'm thinking yes I should. Thank you in advance

Peteoz
03-21-2020, 05:27 PM
This is probably dumb but for those of you that have put on aftermarket shocks did you keep the air bag? I'm thinking yes I should. Thank you in advance

Yeah, I left the bag in place when I switched to Wilbers, NorthAlabama. I originally set it to 10psi, but it is now down to 0psi with no noticeable difference. After all, it effectively just raises and lowers the height of the ride, and at 6’7”, I’m happy to have it low.

....and no.....it definitely isn’t a dumb question.....I had the same question, and I am UNBELIEVABLY intelligent :roflblack: . MY wife may beg to differ however :2thumbs:

Pete

merlot
03-22-2020, 02:11 AM
i left the bag in but it was elka stage1

russ

Mikey
03-22-2020, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I left the bag in place when I switched to Wilbers, NorthAlabama. I originally set it to 10psi, but it is now down to 0psi with no noticeable difference. After all, it effectively just raises and lowers the height of the ride, and at 6’7”, I’m happy to have it low.

....and no.....it definitely isn’t a dumb question.....I had the same question, and I am UNBELIEVABLY intelligent :roflblack: . MY wife may beg to differ however :2thumbs:

Pete

I am afraid the bag dose more than just raise and lower, if you ever lost the air in the bag on a trip and had to come home on just the shock you would know! It carries the load and levels the ride the shock keeps it from bouncing down the road like a po- go stick. But if you are going to put a good aftermarket shock in, you don't need the air bag any more, you could take it out, or leave a small amount of air in it and leave it alone!

Peteoz
03-22-2020, 03:47 PM
I am afraid the bag dose more than just raise and lower, if you ever lost the air in the bag on a trip and had to come home on just the shock you would know! It carries the load and levels the ride the shock keeps it from bouncing down the road like a po- go stick. But if you are going to put a good aftermarket shock in, you don't need the air bag any more, you could take it out, or leave a small amount of air in it and leave it alone!

Thanks for the correction, Mikey, but that is exactly why I said it “effectively” just adjusts the height of the ride with aftermarket shocks.......we are not talking about the bag’s operation with OEM shocks, but how it functions with aftermarkets. Geez.

Pete

NorthAlabamaSpyder
03-22-2020, 04:59 PM
Guys, I just took the Spyder out with the Stage 4's on. It was fantastic. No air in airbag. Elka seem to hit it just right with the info I gave them. Pain to install but worth it. It did raise front end about 1/2" and maybe the rear a little. I have Ron's sway bar witch was a great install but these shocks especially in big sweepers was really nice and stable. Didn't seem to roll much in tight twisties. If that is the correct term. Anyway thx for the info.

308gunner
03-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Guys, I just took the Spyder out with the Stage 4's on. It was fantastic. No air in airbag. Elka seem to hit it just right with the info I gave them. Pain to install but worth it. It did raise front end about 1/2" and maybe the rear a little. I have Ron's sway bar witch was a great install but these shocks especially in big sweepers was really nice and stable. Didn't seem to roll much in tight twisties. If that is the correct term. Anyway thx for the info.

very nice...now you have BOTH the power AND handling. You have the best of both worlds.. when late Spring/Summer comes...youre ready to ride...Enjoy.

Peteoz
03-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Great to hear, NorthAlabama. My Wilbers made a significant difference for me. :thumbup:

Pete