PDA

View Full Version : A mistake I'll never make again

iridenow
03-17-2020, 03:41 PM
I wanted to get some foam grips for Fred. I watched videos on how easy they are to install. I bought some off Amazon, because I buy so much stuff off Amazon. Well, the grips I bought were too small. I didn't realize it until I tried putting them on Fred. I tried for about 20 minutes before giving up. I went thru much more hand sanitizer than I should have. I finally went to CanamSpyderAccessories.com and decided to buy another pair of foam grips. I got those yesterday and installed them in about 5 minutes.

I learned I will not EVER buy anything that does not say it fits my RT. BTW, I feel like an idiot for making such a newb mistake in the first place.

Peteoz
03-17-2020, 05:04 PM
Hahaha.......if making that mistake is your definition of an idiot, I’ll join your idiots club as a senior member, Iridenow :D

Pete

Snakeyes
03-17-2020, 05:09 PM
I'll second that!!

Grandpot
03-17-2020, 05:17 PM
Our sponsors have tested their products on Spyders and have worked out the bugs. The ones I have dealt with give excellent service. I learned that the hard way also.

ARtraveler
03-17-2020, 06:05 PM
I wanted to get some foam grips for Fred. I watched videos on how easy they are to install. I bought some off Amazon, because I buy so much stuff off Amazon. Well, the grips I bought were too small. I didn't realize it until I tried putting them on Fred. I tried for about 20 minutes before giving up. I went thru much more hand sanitizer than I should have. I finally went to CanamSpyderAccessories.com and decided to buy another pair of foam grips. I got those yesterday and installed them in about 5 minutes.

I learned I will not EVER buy anything that does not say it fits my RT. BTW, I feel like an idiot for making such a newb mistake in the first place.

Welcome to the club. And...it is a very large one. Some just don't want to admit belonging. :roflblack:

jiffy
03-17-2020, 06:19 PM
We all make mistakes. I bought my foam grips from Lamonster and they are great.

Revalden
03-18-2020, 12:53 AM
I made the same error. I might hafta buy another set, last years are getting a little ripe.

Greven
03-18-2020, 01:15 AM
Worst part is when you are not sure if the issue is parts not fitting, or your own skills lacking. I've gone down that road several times. Great that you didnt give up and managed to sort it out :)

Nobodyjj
03-18-2020, 04:06 AM
So you bought bicycle grips? I have used Amazon and never had a issue, read the description first before punching the buy it now button!

troop
03-18-2020, 07:45 AM
Circumference wise, these fit perfect. Just need to cut them down a touch in length.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grab-On-Universal-Grip-Cover-Foam-Slip-Fits-From-1-25-to-1-45-OD-5-Long-MC402/372814931232?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

iridenow
03-18-2020, 08:12 AM
Worst part is when you are not sure if the issue is parts not fitting, or your own skills lacking. I've gone down that road several times. Great that you didnt give up and managed to sort it out :)

And it was only an $8 mistake.

iridenow
03-18-2020, 08:15 AM
So you bought bicycle grips? I have used Amazon and never had a issue, read the description first before punching the buy it now button!

Being relatively new to motorcycles, I actually thought the manufacturer's hand grips were a standard size across all motorcycles, so the foam grips would all work. The ones I bought were a bit smaller circumference size. Therefore, way more difficult to install them on Fred.

lstayner
03-18-2020, 09:23 AM
I have ran foam grips for years. Installing them with soap or hand sanitizer is the hard way to install. I use an air hose with a 6" nozzle. Place the end of the foam grip on the end of the bar then pinch the grip on the opposite end with the air nozzle. Hit the air and give them a push. 2 seconds later all you need to do is make a final adjustment and you are done. No sloppy mess to clean up.

SPYD3R
03-18-2020, 10:55 AM
I WRAPPED MINE WITH PARA-CORD....
179625 179627 179626
i didn't like the feel of the OEM RUBBER.... plus my hands are of a larger size, and this compliments both my needs....
Dan
Easley, SC

ARtraveler
03-18-2020, 11:29 AM
The para cord looks like a great idea to me. :2thumbs: :yes:

Yeochips
03-18-2020, 01:03 PM
I am feeling normal now!