PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Mirrors

Alberts46
03-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Do they still have the same worthless clips as previous years.

rick_w
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
No, it is totally different. Somewhat similar to the F3Ltd.

Peteoz
03-12-2020, 04:05 PM
No, it is totally different. Somewhat similar to the F3Ltd.

The trouble there, Rick, is that the F3 Ltd clips were the ones that were pretty worthless, allowing the mirror covers to fall off frequently. If they have kept that same fastening system, they have sent the RT backwards :dontknow:

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-12-2020, 05:37 PM
The trouble there, Rick, is that the F3 Ltd clips were the ones that were pretty worthless, allowing the mirror covers to fall off frequently. If they have kept that same fastening system, they have sent the RT backwards :dontknow:

Pete

:agree: … at least the RT mirror posts could be easily changed to the magnet system which is " bullet proof " …. jmho …. Mike :ohyea:

Copperman
03-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Today, I saw the inside of the 2020 RTL mirrors. They look like the old ST mirrors and have the same three posts that the old RTs have, just smaller overall. One it hangs on and two that snap in through the two metal bands. The magic mirrors might work. We just need someone to try them.

MONK
03-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Today, I saw the inside of the 2020 RTL mirrors. The magic mirrors might work. We just need someone to try them.

Here's what I suggest. If someone gives me a new 2020 RTL, I'll be the guinea pig and try the Magic Mirrors. Deal?

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-12-2020, 10:56 PM

Pete
Looking at the parts diagrams it looks like the Australia machines have a different mirror configuration than everyone else. Looks like they have the same round head studs we're used to seeing but they're on the mirror, not the body. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to look at an actual 2020 RT to know for sure.

Copperman
03-12-2020, 11:20 PM
Looks like they have the same round head studs we're used to seeing but they're on the mirror, not the body. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to look at an actual 2020 RT to know for sure.

Correct. The studs are on the mirror. The metal clips are on the body. The top stud goes into a hole and drops down. The other two studs snap into the metal clips.

AdmiralS
03-13-2020, 09:01 AM
I noticed yesterday after 600 miles my right mirror vibrates quite a bit while stopped with the machine running. Not an issue on the left side. Need to investigate further. Maybe the wedgies would work on the new RT as well.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Could someone who has a new 2020 RT post pics of what Both sides of the mirror attachment actually looks like ….. there are quite a few DIY'ers who have shown their talents here on this site, and might come up with something that might improve them …… Thanks ….. Mike :ohyea:

wiggy1
03-13-2020, 10:18 AM
I have bruised several fingers and spoken many choice words while trying to remount F3 Ltd mirrors. I can't believe BRP would think that design is worth continuing because it just makes maintenance very difficult. In all cases, I wish the engineers would simplify the design. Also interested in seeing pictures of the actual 2020 RT mirrors. However they are, I expect Lamonster or Spyderpops will have a great solution to ease the troubles.

Peteoz
03-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Actually, we need some “elaboration” from the OP, Alberts46. Rereading his post, I realise I made an assumption, as he doesn’t actually mention a model, so it is unclear whether he is referring to a 2020 RT, F3 or even a Ryker :dontknow:. It is also unclear whether he is referring to mirror body clips, or the mirror cover clips which the F3 Touring models have, and which appear to be on the 2020RT. Without knowing this we could send the thread down all sorts of rat holes......but surely that wouldn’t happen on here. :ohyea: . So please elaborate for us, Albert. :thumbup:

Pete

Alberts46
03-13-2020, 03:38 PM
2020 rt

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-13-2020, 03:47 PM
Without knowing this we could send the thread down all sorts of rat holes......but surely that wouldn’t happen on here. :ohyea:
There's no rat hole big enough to swallow some of the threads that have been generated here!!! :roflblack:

Peteoz
03-13-2020, 08:51 PM
2020 rt

Thanks Albert....and you were referring to the three clips that hold the mirror cover on? Hopefully CanAm have indeed improved on that design if that is what they have used on the 2020 RT as it was/is a shocker with the number of covers on both old and new bikes that were simply falling off when you hit any kind of bump.

robhowen
03-14-2020, 07:53 AM
Here is what the diagram looks like in the shop manual.

I hope someone offers a magnetic upgrade and my left mirror vibrates at higher speeds, while the right one does not.

Rob

CentralCoastCA
03-14-2020, 10:33 AM

I hope someone offers a magnetic upgrade and my left mirror vibrates at higher speeds, while the right one does not.

Rob

Same here. The 2020 RT left mirror vibrates average to higher speeds, while the right doesn’t. Was wondering if Joe and Ann’s wedgie might work here. And I would love Wide View Mirrors like the ‘14 RT had.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-14-2020, 10:59 AM

Rob

Thanks ..... now we need to see the BODY side ...... Mike :ohyea:

Copperman
03-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Check out this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ZWx8W0Ixs

It shows the mirrors on the F3 Limited. Those are the same mirrors on the 2020 RTL.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Check out this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ZWx8W0Ixs

It shows the mirrors on the F3 Limited. Those are the same mirrors on the 2020 RTL.

Thanks, I think a slightly modified Magnet system could work ..... I'll have to go to a Dealership and examine those parts closely ( and take pics ).... I believe this is doable ..... Mike :ohyea: .... PS if anyone in Vt. has a 2020 RT that I can examine - my first set will be free to them ..... 05660

Peteoz
03-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Thanks, I think a slightly modified Magnet system could work ..... I'll have to go to a Dealership and examine those parts closely ( and take pics ).... I believe this is doable ..... Mike :ohyea: .... PS if anyone in Vt. has a 2020 RT that I can examine - my first set will be free to them ..... 05660

Yeah, many F3L riders are using double sided tape, Mike, and that seems to work. A magnet system would be much more elegant and would probably be in good demand :thumbup:

Pete

Peteoz
03-15-2020, 12:37 AM
Mike, this is what I believe Albert is referring to. I’m sure he’ll correct me if I have it wrong. The cover that goes over the front of the F3 (and apparently the 2020RT) is held on by 3 clips. One on the far right, and one top and bottom on the left. These have questionable holding power and can fall off.

I have attached a photo from the front of the mirror assembly showing the clips, and one of the inside of the mirror cover. You can see the double sided tape I have applied that appears to hold it quite firmly, but is not an ideal solution.

Pete

eddieshep999
03-15-2020, 06:03 AM
Mike, this is what I believe Albert is referring to. I’m sure he’ll correct me if I have it wrong. The cover that goes over the front of the F3 (and apparently the 2020RT) is held on by 3 clips. One on the far right, and one top and bottom on the left. These have questionable holding power and can fall off.

I have attached a photo from the front of the mirror assembly showing the clips, and one of the inside of the mirror cover. You can see the double sided tape I have applied that appears to hold it quite firmly, but is not an ideal solution.

Pete

Pete
I used a Zip tie to ensure the mirror cover remained in place
If I want to remove them I just snip the zip tie off and use a new one when refitting the mirror covers back on

See - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?126291-F3T-Loos-Mirror-Cover-Ny-temporary-Fix

Peteoz
03-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Pete
I used a Zip tie to ensure the mirror cover remained in place
If I want to remove them I just snip the zip tie off and use a new one when refitting the mirror covers back on

Clever idea, Eddie:thumbup: . I still think a bit of double sided tape is even easier though. No need to drill, no need to snip and rethread, just replace a bit of tape if it has lost its adhesion.....and mine hasn’t after half a dozen remove and replaces.

Pete

Tango
03-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Yeah, many F3L riders are using double sided tape, Mike, and that seems to work. A magnet system would be much more elegant and would probably be in good demand :thumbup:

Pete

Pete's right. Double side stick tape. Maybe $.50 cents worth each side does the trick. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Peteoz
03-15-2020, 05:07 PM
Pete's right. Double side stick tape. Maybe $.50 cents worth each side does the trick. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Tom, please remove your profile pic immediately.......it is making me sooooooooo envious :congrats:

Pete

jcthorne
03-16-2020, 06:32 AM
There is no need for magic mirrors magnets on the 2020 RT. First they use the F3 style mount and will need weggies which Joe and Anne are working one (slightly different dimensions they told me). Second, like on the F3, there is no need to remove the mirrors for most maintenance like the old RT.

Mikey
03-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Tom, please remove your profile pic immediately.......it is making me sooooooooo envious :congrats:

Pete

Pete, you got a nice ride to!!!:thumbup:

Peteoz
03-16-2020, 03:02 PM
There is no need for magic mirrors magnets on the 2020 RT. First they use the F3 style mount and will need weggies which Joe and Anne are working one (slightly different dimensions they told me). Second, like on the F3, there is no need to remove the mirrors for most maintenance like the old RT.

Yes, that’s true, JC, but the OP mentions “clips”, which leads me to believe that he is referring to the 3 less than secure clips that hold the F3 Touring models mirror cover on, greatly increasing its propensity to pop off when you hit any kind of bump.

Pete

Peteoz
03-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Pete, you got a nice ride to!!!:thumbup:

Thanks, Mikey........I just love the style, and particularly that colour of Toms RT. :2thumbs:

Pete

2020RTLimitedDRM
08-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know how I can get a parts listing of the 2020 RT Limited mirror housing clips. When I removed the mirror housing the other night to adjust the headlights one of the clips fell off. I noticed that the small metal table that holds it on was missing.

Oh and the manual says to turn the adjusting screw clockwise to raise the headlight beam? It was actually counter clock wise to raise and clockwise to lower??

Thanks for your help! Stay Safe!!