PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coat vs taping

smokster
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Any opinions on coating both the inside and outside of the pipes vs taping?

TMehaffey
07-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I run ceramic coated headers in my cars and the under hood temps are a lot cooler.
The problem with the ceramic coating is the down time and expense.
I have never used the wraps we have been talking about and I'm not
sure about heat transfer.
Maybe someone on the board can enlighten us:dontknow:

BajaRon
07-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Never had it done but Ceramic would definitely be the way to go if price was no object. Not sure what it would cost. As already mentioned, more expensive, more work and downtime though.

Better thermal properties and longer lasting than the tape. They say it gives about a 35% reduction in temperature. That is significant. Don't know what the temp reduction is with tape. That would be a 350 degree drop on a 1000 degree pipe.

If you do it let us know cost and how well it works.

Here are some options that are available.

Ceramic Exhaust Coatings (http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html)

smokster
07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Never had it done but Ceramic would definitely be the way to go if price was no object. Not sure what it would cost. As already mentioned, more expensive, more work and downtime though.

Better thermal properties and longer lasting than the tape. They say it gives about a 35% reduction in temperature. That is significant. Don't know what the temp reduction is with tape. That would be a 350 degree drop on a 1000 degree pipe.

If you do it let us know cost and how well it works.

Here are some options that are available.

Ceramic Exhaust Coatings (http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html)
Do you know how hot these temperatures get on the Spyder to determine which one?

Firefly
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
From what I hear you can have it done for a couple hundred bucks. Going to wait until Winter and look into getting them done - seems like a better and more permanent solution than the tape.

smokster
07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
From what I hear you can have it done for a couple hundred bucks. Going to wait until Winter and look into getting them done - seems like a better and more permanent solution than the tape.
I heard 250-300 as well. I will be doing this in the next 2 weeks, I will report on it.

slather1
07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I have not done the Spyder exhaust. I used JetHot before on Valkyrie headers and was very happy with the results.

BajaRon
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Do you know how hot these temperatures get on the Spyder to determine which one?

I don't. Typically liquid cooled engine exhaust runs lower temps than air cooled. Still, I would be tempted to go the high heat stuff if it was not too much more money.

Lamont has a temp gun but that is only going to give you static readings.

He would have to take the cowling off, ride like a wildman with one hand and shoot temps with the other while looking at the exhaust pipe to be sure he was shooting the right part. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Hmmm.... the more I think about it, the more it sounds like something Lamont would do! :popcorn:

BajaRon
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I have not done the Spyder exhaust. I used JetHot before on Valkyrie headers and was very happy with the results.

People would not pay that kind of money if ceramic didn't work pretty well.

Spanky
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I heard 250-300 as well. I will be doing this in the next 2 weeks, I will report on it.

Are you going to be doing just the head pipes or are you going to do the Y-pipe too?

BajaRon
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Are you going to be doing just the head pipes or are you going to do the Y-pipe too?

Seems like if you were going to do it, you'd want to do it all. Shouldn't add that much to the cost. I'll bet you'd really see a difference in heat.

I've been looking to see what kind of temp reduction you can expect with the tape but have not found anything. Probably depends a lot on the tape, how it is wrapped, etc. I'm guessing maybe 1/2 the efficiency of ceramic but who knows?

Ceramic is supposed to give a 35% reduction in radiated heat. I've found a spec for the tape that says it will reduce under hood temps by 70%. But this is apples and oranges so I still don't know.

ataDude
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

As an exhaust "experimenter", I can only tell you that I continuously burned off the various baked-on home ceramic coatings with a heat value of 1200* on the pipes. The only thing I found that would NOT burn off was the 1500* baked-on DEI silicone coating.

Of course, I was NOT coating for heat avoidance, only appearance. But, still... it seems to me that somewhere in between 1200* and 1500* appears to be the heat of the downpipes and pipes to the mufflers. The actual header pipes are probably hotter as they are closer to the source.

The pipe curves take the brunt of the exhaust heat as they have to deflect the exhaust in a different direction. That's where I was burning off the coatings.

smokster
07-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Do it all

smokster
07-30-2009, 12:45 PM
As an exhaust "experimenter", I can only tell you that I continuously burned off the various baked-on home ceramic coatings with a heat value of 1200* on the pipes. The only thing I found that would NOT burn off was the 1500* baked-on DEI silicone coating.

Of course, I was NOT coating for heat avoidance, only appearance. But, still... it seems to me that somewhere in between 1200* and 1500* appears to be the heat of the downpipes and pipes to the mufflers. The actual header pipes are probably hotter as they are closer to the source.

The pipe curves take the brunt of the exhaust heat as they have to deflect the exhaust in a different direction. That's where I was burning off the coatings.
Mine would be done professionally and requires 1200 degrees just to cure it.

BLACK WIDOW
07-30-2009, 01:12 PM
People would not pay that kind of money if ceramic didn't work pretty well.

What kind of money are we talking about?? :dontknow:

Firefly
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.zircotec.com/page/exhaust_system_coatings/60

Too bad this isn't available in the US!

Spanky
07-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I was talking to Jethot about their Sterling Extreme ceramic coating. The coating is a 1700 degree coating and they coat both inside and outside of the pipe. They claim 30-40% drop in heat.

The cost is about $350.00 for the 2 head pipes and Y-pipe that includes shipping back to you. You would ship to them on your own.

They are willing to discuss a group discount depending on interest.

Anyone interested?

Firefly
07-30-2009, 04:13 PM
YES --- I would spend $350 to have it done.

TMehaffey
07-30-2009, 04:20 PM
YES --- I would spend $350 to have it done.
:agree:

BajaRon
07-31-2009, 05:54 AM
I was talking to Jethot about their Sterling Extreme ceramic coating. The coating is a 1700 degree coating and they coat both inside and outside of the pipe. They claim 30-40% drop in heat.

The cost is about $350.00 for the 2 head pipes and Y-pipe that includes shipping back to you. You would ship to them on your own.

They are willing to discuss a group discount depending on interest.

Anyone interested?

I am sure who ever has this done will be thrilled with the results. It will definitely work better than the tape. Just not sure how much better but it may be a lot better.

If you could get price break numbers it would give people something to shoot for.