PDA

View Full Version : Getting More Go Out of your Spyder

Soldier
03-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Hey folks. Been lurking for a while, just checking out peoples posts. Ya'll seem like pretty cool folks. I'm sure this has been asked before, fine. I hoping for dialog, not just answers or opinions.

Does intake and exhaust upgrade give you seat of the pants feeling yeah she's faster?

What about with having the computer tuned?

Looking forward to chatting.

Revalden
03-05-2020, 10:45 PM
Do a Search for ECU Stage 1 and Stage 2 Flash and the necessary additional requirements for each Stage. Stage 1 = more get-up-and GO, Stage 2 = Holy **** Batman.

Peter Aawen
03-05-2020, 11:23 PM
You might get just a little feeling of improvement from upgrades to either or both of the intake & exhaust systems, but the reality is that in these days of computer controlled engines with little real scope for big gains outside their relatively narrow operational parameters, any changes to performance from intake &/or exhaust upgrad ess are likely to be pretty small at best, and far more likely to be quite detrimental somewhere in the rev range at worst :sour: (Your 'seat of the pants dyno' can be very easily deceived by hopes & expectations that just aren't actually real &/or verifiable! :shocked: )

However, given those same intake & exhaust upgrades & an ECU upgraded or 're-tuned' to take advantage of them, you can get some absobleedin'wonderfully STONKING improvements!! :ohyea:

And once you've got that ECU Upgrade done, if you can restrain yourself for long enough to just tootle along at 'normal velocity' for a tankfull of miles ever again (it's awwwfully hard to do that tho! :shocked: ) you can also very likely improve your fuel range from a tank of gas too! :clap: But that's only achievable if you don't succumb to the rush of pure joy that flows immediately every time you open the throttle wide!! :yes: :2thumbs:

Go on... DO IT!! You know you really want to! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-06-2020, 12:37 AM
You might get just a little feeling of improvement from upgrades to either or both of the intake & exhaust systems, but the reality is that in these days of computer controlled engines with little real scope for big gains outside their relatively narrow operational parameters, any changes to performance from intake &/or exhaust upgrad ess are likely to be pretty small at best, and far more likely to be quite detrimental somewhere in the rev range at worst :sour: (Your 'seat of the pants dyno' can be very easily deceived by hopes & expectations that just aren't actually real &/or verifiable! :shocked: )

However, given those same intake & exhaust upgrades & an ECU upgraded or 're-tuned' to take advantage of them, you can get some absobleedin'wonderfully STONKING improvements!! :ohyea:

And once you've got that ECU Upgrade done, if you can restrain yourself for long enough to just tootle along at 'normal velocity' for a tankfull of miles ever again (it's awwwfully hard to do that tho! :shocked: ) you can also very likely improve your fuel range from a tank of gas too! :clap: But that's only achievable if you don't succumb to the rush of pure joy that flows immediately every time you open the throttle wide!! :yes: :2thumbs:

:agree::agree::agree: and have said so numerous times , however I don't type as well as Peter so I just use less words ….. If you wish to improve power on ANY computer controlled engine ( and every engine today is computer controlled ) you must start with the COMPUTER, period ….. on our Spyders it's the ECU …...jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

PinkRosePetal
03-06-2020, 07:14 AM
Hey folks.

Does intake and exhaust upgrade give you seat of the pants feeling yeah she's faster?
No, it won't.

In the old days of carburettors, when the air flow through the engine increased, because that air flow drew in more fuel there was consequently also more fuel to be burned along with the extra air. With computer controlled fueling that is not the case so you may well get less power by increasing the air flow because the fuel/air ratio will be changed.

Highwayman2013
03-06-2020, 09:21 AM
If there are no Dyno numbers it's all in your head.

CopperSpyder
03-06-2020, 10:53 AM
:roflblack: :clap: :agree: What Peter said!!

308gunner
03-06-2020, 11:06 AM

I agree and concur!!

Lew L
03-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Most bang for you buck is the ECU upgrade. It is a bit harder to keep a restrained throttle---
Lew L

Soldier
03-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Great replies folks. Thanks! Seems to be the same case as with other's. When I put exhaust and intake on my Harley the improvement was pretty minimal. When I installed the power commander and had it dyno tuned the improvement was quite nice, from 52 rwhp to 77. About $100 per horse. I'm guessing it'll be the same with the Spyder.

2dogs
03-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Sad as it is there are folks who will not believe this post for what it is and will spend hours wrenching and hundreds if not a thousand $$$$'s maybe, on external add-ons to gain what, "0" hp, or even lose a little. In my younger days I spent an untold number of hours/days under the hood of my car trying bolt on 10 or 20 hp, if that. Today I can simply reprogram the computer and burn off my rear Goodyears faster than a spyder can eat up an OEM Kenda. Ain't technology wonderful?

SmoovOpRatoR
03-06-2020, 05:24 PM
I got a Dynojet Powervision and am very happy with the performance results. It also doubles as a code reader.

ARtraveler
03-06-2020, 07:19 PM
I am happy with both of mine just as they are. The F3 seems a bit zippier though. :yes:

Revalden
03-06-2020, 11:18 PM
No, it won't.

In the old days of carburettors, when the air flow through the engine increased, because that air flow drew in more fuel there was consequently also more fuel to be burned along with the extra air. With computer controlled fueling that is not the case so you may well get less power by increasing the air flow because the fuel/air ratio will be changed.

If/when you send in the ECU to be flashed for the Stage 2 you hafta also send in the top of the air cleaner so they can cut a hole in it to get more air in there for the extra fuel that's gonna be injected.