PDA

View Full Version : 2020 RT Brake Position Issue

upsdoctor
03-04-2020, 07:06 PM
I have an issue with the brake position on my 2020 RT which is positioned a bit too far away for my liking. Anybody else having this issue? Anyone know of a fix like a shim or a new pedal of some sort?

Tango
03-04-2020, 07:34 PM
Following. :thumbup:

AdmiralS
03-04-2020, 07:39 PM
My other half is 5'2 and she can barely reach so will be interesting to see what others do. I am 5'7" and installed the Short reach handlebars (Position A) today. Amazing what a difference it makes. So much more comfortable position to ride in now. Had to play with the wire harnesses a bit as it didn't want to reach from the OEM but had enough slack to make it all work.

TicketBait
03-04-2020, 08:16 PM
going to test ride this weekend at my dealership. Will pay attention to this and repost here my thoughts.

RICZ
03-04-2020, 10:16 PM
An experienced MC saddle customizer can not only make the seat more comfortable, but can also move the rider forward or back as needed. I'm talking about a customizer where you and your bike go to, not a mail order one.

Copperman
03-04-2020, 11:45 PM
I am 5'7" and installed the Short reach handlebars (Position A) today. Amazing what a difference it makes. Had to play with the wire harnesses a bit as it didn't want to reach from the OEM but had enough slack to make it all work.

Would you be able to post a few pictures of the short reach bars on your 2020 RT?

KX5062
03-05-2020, 09:58 AM
My understanding is the brake pedal is movable via the same method as the F3, using different length connector arms underneath the bike.

AdmiralS
03-05-2020, 10:40 AM
Would you be able to post a few pictures of the short reach bars on your 2020 RT?

Here are some photos I took right after the install.

CentralCoastCA
03-05-2020, 01:35 PM
My other half is 5'2 and she can barely reach so will be interesting to see what others do. I am 5'7" and installed the Short reach handlebars (Position A) today. Amazing what a difference it makes. So much more comfortable position to ride in now. Had to play with the wire harnesses a bit as it didn't want to reach from the OEM but had enough slack to make it all work.

I have the short bars on order. Confirming you had enough wiring that you didn’t have to cut any other zip ties to get more slack for installation?

Michaelscs
03-05-2020, 01:44 PM
My understanding is the brake pedal is movable via the same method as the F3, using different length connector arms underneath the bike.

Not an option on the RT. The floor board doesn't move, so the brake pedal can't be moved. I see a big opportunity for the after market!

AdmiralS
03-05-2020, 02:23 PM
I have the short bars on order. Confirming you had enough wiring that you didn’t have to cut any other zip ties to get more slack for installation?

You do have to cut zip ties to give yourself enough slack. It is not fun to access....

h0gr1der
03-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Here are some photos I took right after the install.

That's impressive. Significant reach improvement for us shorter stature guys. Also answers the question about if a normal motorcycle handlebar will fit. Apparently not without heavy customization.

KX5062
03-08-2020, 09:58 AM
You do have to cut zip ties to give yourself enough slack. It is not fun to access....

Not to derail the thread, but.... Can you elaborate a little? I'm going to tackle this job shortly. (My short reach bars are on order.)

Tango
03-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Admiral can you give us some more info? How did you access where you need to go? Pics? Thanks. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

MRH
03-08-2020, 09:33 PM
I asked about the brake pedal when I did a test ride, and it seems that the pedal is simply bolted on. The guy from Can-Am seemed to think that it would be possible to simply add a piece between the pedal and the brake.

This isn't my area of expertise, but it feels like a mod that will be jumped on - hopefully something is already on the market that can work and just needs to be identified and marketed.

RICZ
03-09-2020, 01:08 AM
I asked about the brake pedal when I did a test ride, and it seems that the pedal is simply bolted on. The guy from Can-Am seemed to think that it would be possible to simply add a piece between the pedal and the brake.
The fix is too simple. Remove the two nuts securing the brake pedal and lift it off. Place the pedal back on the lever putting the left stud in the right hole and tighten. Viola! You now have a wider pedal. You're welcome. If the empty hole bothers you, fill it with a bolt and paint it black.

MRH
03-09-2020, 01:15 AM
The fix is too simple. Remove the two nuts securing the brake pedal and lift it off. Place the pedal back on the lever putting the left stud in the right hole and tighten. Viola! You now have a wider pedal. You're welcome. If the empty hole bothers you, fill it with a bolt and paint it black.

Thank you, but It’s not wider that I need, but a few inches back to account for being short.

RICZ
03-09-2020, 12:14 PM
I misunderstood your problem. I think the cure would be a longer brake rod. I made my own adjustable one for that same reason.

stebrock
03-09-2020, 08:14 PM

I'm about to make the same change. Did you remove any panels to try to free up the harness?
Thanks, Rick

stebrock
03-09-2020, 08:20 PM

I'm about to make the same change. Did you remove any panels to try to free up the harness?
Thanks, Rick

RICZ
03-09-2020, 08:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the brake control arrangement on the RT, you'll have to get that from RT owners who have dealt with this.
All this makes me so glad I was steered away from buying an RT and got an F3L. :)

AdmiralS
03-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Rick

I did not remove any panels. There was a small retaining clip that was holding the harness. Once that was removed I had the slack needed.

Charlottes Web
03-10-2020, 07:39 PM
I couldn’t reach the brake so a got a new 2019 RTL. Better deal on the 2019 and in a few years they well have the problem fix on the 2020 brake.

MikeT
03-11-2020, 07:45 PM
I noticed in your photos that it looks like you have the comfort seat option. What made you choose that option, instead of an aftermarket seat??? If it's heated, it cost about $1,000.00.
Mike

AdmiralS
03-11-2020, 08:55 PM
I noticed in your photos that it looks like you have the comfort seat option. What made you choose that option, instead of an aftermarket seat??? If it's heated, it cost about $1,000.00.
Mike

We did get the heated comfort seats. We find them to be very comfortable. The stock seat was also comfortable for the 40 miles I rode on it. Didn't see any need to go aftermarket when BRP had a factory seat available.

Charlottes Web
03-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Mike

I got the comfort seat from Imotorsport for $600 and free shipping. It’s a good seat