PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Bushtec trailer to a Spyder RT???

scwingman
02-27-2020, 04:37 PM
Anybody have a Bushtec trailer and have it wired into your Spyder please help.

Spyder have 4 wire plug and Bushtec uses a 6 wire. Spyder has turn singles and brake lights in same wire and Bushtec has them separate.

Is there a plug and play for this set up. Haven't been able to fine any.

Thanks for any suggestion

SCWingman

Ex-Rocket
02-27-2020, 05:23 PM
I'm not familiar with Bushtec trailers but I had a Aluma trailer that had 6 wires also. What you need to do is find the convertor somewhere in the tongue area or somewhere on the trailer. All the convertor does is change a 4 wire trailer to a six wire. Remove the convertor and then you have to buy a 4 wire plug to match your Spyder and then solder the wires to the 4 wire plug. But you have to know which wires are what and I think a call to Bushtec is required or maybe their wiring is online. Good luck.

Cruising RT
02-27-2020, 06:52 PM
I have a 14 RTL & a bushtec trailer. I had a wiring harness made by one of Spyderlovers Sponsors, Electrical Connection listed on the home page. I'm not sure which Bushtec you have but mine is a Roadstar and the brake lights & turn signals are separate. According to Lewis at Electrical Connection, there is NO adapter to convert the six wire on the trailer to the 4 wire on the Spyder or vise versa. Unless things have changed in the last couple years, Lewis is the mastermind that builds & designs the wiring for the bushtecs. I recently bought a F3 and wanted to keep my trailer so I contacted Lewis about a adapter or wiring harness & never could get him to commit to assisting with wiring, so......I have recently put my RTL & Bushtec trailer up for sale and will but another trailer to pull with my F3

Revalden
02-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Find the wiring diagram of the trailer and the Spyder, pics of the trailer(inside, outside and underneath) and send it to me and I'll figure it out. You might have to rewire the whole trailer and install different lights.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-27-2020, 07:56 PM
Anybody have a Bushtec trailer and have it wired into your Spyder please help.

Spyder have 4 wire plug and Bushtec uses a 6 wire. Spyder has turn singles and brake lights in same wire and Bushtec has them separate.

Is there a plug and play for this set up. Haven't been able to fine any.
If you're handy and comfortable doing electrical work maybe what I did a few years ago will help. I made my own harness to go from the Spyder harness to a trailer 5 wire harness. I suspect the 6th wire you have is either for backup lights or for a cargo light. Either way you can live without it. On my setup I ran a 6th wire for battery power to my trailer. The wiring info you see in this thread includes extra harness to add a high mount light with flashing option. If you have any questions about what I did ask away.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64757-How-I-wired-up-a-5-wire-trailer-harness-plus-other-lights-Part-1

fjray
02-27-2020, 07:58 PM
When I wired my 15 RTL to my bushtec turbo 2 I bought a premade isolator from ebay. big bike parts I think and it was plug and play on the RT end and I wired it to the bushtec 6pin with no issues. One of the 6 wires on the trailer is the interior light and is ganged with the running lights. I believe it's the blue one. from there it's just a matter of finding each circuit with a test light and the white is ground. shouldn't be rocket science if I can do it. was basicly the same when I went back to the wing.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-27-2020, 08:04 PM
I should have mentioned that the wiring on the Spyder is actually a 5 wire system. When BRP changed their trailer wiring scheme, i.e., went from separate turn/stop lights to common ones, they made a harness with an isolator/converter that takes the 5 wire on-bike wiring and converts it to the 4 wire pigtail for the trailer.

scwingman
02-28-2020, 09:54 AM
I found Big Bike Parts has a wiring harness for the Can Am Spyder RT for a 5 wire hook up and it is plug and play. I have in on order and will see how that works.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

SCWingman

NorthAlabamaSpyder
02-28-2020, 10:39 AM
Bushtec wires are, if this helps:

* Green - Taillights
* Blue - Brake
* Yellow - Right Turn
* Brown - Left Turn
* White - Ground
* Black - Interior Light

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-28-2020, 06:15 PM
I found Big Bike Parts has a wiring harness for the Can Am Spyder RT for a 5 wire hook up and it is plug and play. I have in on order and will see how that works.

The main difference between the BRP Y harness and the BBP harness is the BRP plugs into the harness under the seat and makes use of the power lead built into the harness. The BBP harness has you connect the power and ground wires to the battery.

wrb3004
03-01-2020, 06:51 PM

SCWingman

I put this one on my RT. It is plug and play at the tail lights but you have to run power for the module directly to the battery.