PDA

View Full Version : What wire do I cut.

gazey
07-29-2009, 07:06 AM
:helpsmilie: I am planing to install my alarm system this weekend. I think I have most of the wiring figured out. The only one I'm not sure about is the immobilizer. I was going to maybe cut into the kill switch wire :dontknow:
Has anyone got any suggestions.

aka1004
07-29-2009, 10:51 AM
starter relay is located about 12" front of the battery.
if you pop the seat up you can see it thru the hole on plastic toward rear on left side. if i remember correctly, you tap in to positive side. my spyder is in the shop AGAIN so if you have not figured out till i get it back i will post pic.

moroccomole2004
10-25-2009, 05:46 AM
I too have just installed a Scorpio i800 and am loving it! The install was easy, but now I want to add the RID-5 ignition disable option which requires me to cut one of the following wires and put the ignition kill between the cut wire:

1. Positive lead wire on fuel pump.
2. Positive lead wire on fuel injection system.
3. Positive wire that goes to the ignition fuse in fuse box.
4. Ground wire from ignition module.
5. Positive wire from ignition module to ignition coil.

From what I have read above, if I trace the positive lead from the battery I will find the ignition/starter module near the alternate terminal and can then tap into that. Question I have is should I cut/tap the positive or negative wire there?

Also does anyone have pics of the ignition disable option as installed on their spyder?

Thanks!

Mole :spyder2:

krb1945
10-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Keep in mind with power to the coil(s) it can be push started. If I were installing this I would consider the power to the coil(s) first then if it would work I would also secure the starter relay. That way it could not be started until the entire system is traced out. /Ken

dabreitbach
10-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Remember the bike has the des security system built in. With out the key the bike will not start, period. This is the same system they have on their snowmobiles. Believe me, the only way they are going to steal this bike is if they haul it away. The des is in the computer. No way to bypass it.:D

ataDude
10-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I always install by slicing into the fuel pump positive lead.

I too have just installed a Scorpio i800 and am loving it! The install was easy, but now I want to add the RID-5 ignition disable option which requires me to cut one of the following wires and put the ignition kill between the cut wire:

1. Positive lead wire on fuel pump.
2. Positive lead wire on fuel injection system.
3. Positive wire that goes to the ignition fuse in fuse box.
4. Ground wire from ignition module.
5. Positive wire from ignition module to ignition coil.

From what I have read above, if I trace the positive lead from the battery I will find the ignition/starter module near the alternate terminal and can then tap into that. Question I have is should I cut/tap the positive or negative wire there?

Also does anyone have pics of the ignition disable option as installed on their spyder?

Thanks!

Mole :spyder2:

moroccomole2004
10-25-2009, 01:40 PM
AtaDude,

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I read your recommendation in another thread. Question for you, where do I find the positive wire to the fuel pump? Do you have a pic of where it is and what you did. I thought I also read your recommendation of putting in a bypass if the alarm failed or had issues. How do I go about that when installing the RID-5?

Thanks so much!!

Mole

ataDude
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't have a pic... sorry. But... there are only two wires running to the pump from the top of the fuel tank. Use a volt meter to determine which is positive... generally, it will be the colored one. The black will be the ground... but check it anyway. There are some miscues on the wiring at least on some of the turn signals.

For a bypass, I just made a short plug-in wire (using crimped male/female connectors) so that if the alarm goes bad, it can be quickly disconnected and the original wires plugged back into each other.

I've never had an alarm go bad... but better safe than sorry.

AtaDude,

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I read your recommendation in another thread. Question for you, where do I find the positive wire to the fuel pump? Do you have a pic of where it is and what you did. I thought I also read your recommendation of putting in a bypass if the alarm failed or had issues. How do I go about that when installing the RID-5?

Thanks so much!!

Mole