PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Steering System Recall-HAVE IT DONE!

zeebill
07-29-2009, 06:59 AM
I went to the dealer yesterday and it took about 15 or 20 minutes to do and cost me nothing. He was doing it to all the new spyders he has when I left regardless of whether they say it should need it or not. Even the new Phamtom model was getting the laptop hooked up to it when I left. Results like night and day!!!!!! I am not kidding or exagerating the least little bit. Steering effort about 1/2 what it was, goes through corners like it is stuck to the road with glue, the understeer is greatly reduced, stable as a rock at 70 MPH on the highway, and just generally 100% better on the road than it was. I just can not believe the difference! I went through 4,700 miles of really wondering if I made a big mistake and in 20 minutes they fixed the major problem with just a software change? Nothing else? I am happy about getting it done but kind of dissapointed that it took a NHSTA recall to get them to do this. I surely hope they didn't kill or maim too many people before they made a move. Regardless of that run to your dealer and get this done as the difference in my Spyder was unbelievable! Bill :thumbup:

BumbleBee
07-29-2009, 07:05 AM
welcome:congrats: You came to the right site!!!! Service is coming up soon for me, and they are going to do the software update on mine also. Enjoy your new ride!!!

Biker
07-29-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm really impressed with your reaction to this fix ZeeBill. I'm hoping mine is the same way. I have noticed that I had to really fight my bars going into a turn. I just thought it was the "Nature of the Beast":spyder: I've got mine scheduled very soon. Glad you told everyone about how great it worked. Happy motoring. Thanks!

BLACK WIDOW
07-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I went to the dealer yesterday and it took about 15 or 20 minutes to do and cost me nothing. He was doing it to all the new spyders he has when I left regardless of whether they say it should need it or not. Even the new Phamtom model was getting the laptop hooked up to it when I left. Results like night and day!!!!!! I am not kidding or exagerating the least little bit. Steering effort about 1/2 what it was, goes through corners like it is stuck to the road with glue, the understeer is greatly reduced, stable as a rock at 70 MPH on the highway, and just generally 100% better on the road than it was. I just can not believe the difference! I went through 4,700 miles of really wondering if I made a big mistake and in 20 minutes they fixed the major problem with just a software change? Nothing else? I am happy about getting it done but kind of dissapointed that it took a NHSTA recall to get them to do this. I surely hope they didn't kill or maim too many people before they made a move. Regardless of that run to your dealer and get this done as the difference in my Spyder was unbelievable! Bill :thumbup:

Got mine done yesterday, also took about 20 min. Unlike your experience, I cannot honestly tell much difference. I have not ridden much since the re-program (less than 50 miles) because it has been raining here in Oklahoma, but plan to test it on my favorite curvy road soon. Hope my results are as favorable as yours:thumbup:

Spyderjuice
07-29-2009, 08:19 AM
As I have reported in another thread, my spyder is considerably better in the handling, and the service tec said it was also upgrading the transmission and the instrument cluster. However, he couldn't tell me what the upgrade was. Anybody else heard this or know what was changed?

It does handle better and seems to be running better. I'm a happy camper.

Stan

zeebill
07-29-2009, 08:42 AM
As I have reported in another thread, my spyder is considerably better in the handling, and the service tec said it was also upgrading the transmission and the instrument cluster. However, he couldn't tell me what the upgrade was. Anybody else heard this or know what was changed?

It does handle better and seems to be running better. I'm a happy camper.

Stan

I was told they were also putting another ground wire in place for something. Never heard anything about the transmission and instrument cluster. What ever it was it was quick and free and the bike works so much better. Now to head for the shop and put my saddle bags on! Bill

bjt
07-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I believe that those who notice a huge difference after the steering software upgrade were (possibly unknowingly) having the problems that the upgrade was designed to fix. Those who don't notice any difference probably were not having those problems. If you wonder how someone could not tell they were having a steering problem, ask Magic Man or Bajaron, both of whom had no steering assist from day one but didn't realize it until it was later pointed out that the condition existed and they verified it. When my steering assist went out, I initially felt a huge difference in handling and steering effort. After a few days of riding without it, I got used to the feeling and it wasn't that bad.

jodeg1945
07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm taking my Spyder in on Friday (8/31) to have this done. I don't think I'm having the steering problem, because I'm definitely strength challenged and would surely notice if it was hard to steer. Will post if I feel a difference.

BLACK WIDOW
07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I believe that those who notice a huge difference after the steering software upgrade were (possibly unknowingly) having the problems that the upgrade was designed to fix. Those who don't notice any difference probably were not having those problems. If you wonder how someone could not tell they were having a steering problem, ask Magic Man or Bajaron, both of whom had no steering assist from day one but didn't realize it until it was later pointed out that the condition existed and they verified it. When my steering assist went out, I initially felt a huge difference in handling and steering effort. After a few days of riding without it, I got used to the feeling and it wasn't that bad.

:agree:Makes sense to me:doorag:

jnt
07-29-2009, 10:01 AM
welcome Ours is going in tomorrow (Thursday). Currently, our Spyder handles quite nice (tho my LT is easier :ohyea:). So Friday is should be sorta between a Gold Wing and a Caddy? :D

ataDude
07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
my spyder just started having steering problems yesterday. i got on the road, and at low speed (0-35mph) the steering was jerking to the left, and i had to keep it straight. when i reached speed of 45mph and up, it was straight again. my tire pressure was fine. do you guys know if is it the dps?

That sounds more like the Gear Position Sensor interference. See:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831

welcome by the way!

Spyderjuice
07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I was told they were also putting another ground wire in place for something.
ZEEBILL

In addition to the coil being grounded, I have head that a recommendation to gound the oil pumnp may be forthcoming. Anybody else heard that?

Stan

Donk45
07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I'll be picking mine up in a few hours....will let you guys know if I notice a difference.

krb1945
07-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I recently read the tranny upgrade was a better spring and it was only for the units that were clunking in first and second gear. I can't personally validate this but the poster said they had just completed the update on theirs and it shifted much better.

Donk45
07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Got my spyder back and honestly cant really tell a difference. It may have been a little easier while in turns, but I could have just been thinking that because I know work was done.

About 2 weeks ago, my steering did kind of lock on me while I was in a garage in AC. I was having a B!tch of a time trying to park...hopefully that never happens again.

redspyderlady
07-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Had mine done last Thursday and on the ride home was much better. It's been raining a lot this week and haven't been able to try it again but so far it seems like a good fix.

zeebill
07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I did notice the downshifts were a bit smoother too. I see Lamont has added some info to what I got and I will welcome a better MPG figure for sure. I also just heat wrapped the exhaust pipe where it has been baking my leg on long trips. That could help MPG a bit but time and tanks will tell I guess. Bill :D