PDA

View Full Version : My new love

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-19-2020, 07:34 PM
:clap: …. I'll ( hopefully ) hit 73 next month and have decided to get a 2020 Vette. … never owned one ( I've been a Ford guy most of my life ) … so I figure it's time ….. the whole mid-engine thing gives me Goose bumps …. I wanted a Ford GT 40, but I'm not rich ….. I'm planning to sell most of my Toys and could possibly clear $ 55,000 …. I think the Basic package could keep me happy for the rest of my driving career ….. wish me luck :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...………. Mike :ohyea:

UtahPete
02-19-2020, 07:36 PM
:clap: …. I'll ( hopefully ) hit 73 next month and have decided to get a 2020 Vette. … never owned one ( I've been a Ford guy most of my life ) … so I figure it's time ….. the whole mid-engine thing gives me Goose bumps …. I wanted a Ford GT 40, but I'm not rich ….. I'm planning to sell most of my Toys and could possibly clear $ 55,000 …. I think the Basic package could keep me happy for the rest of my driving career ….. wish me luck :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...………. Mike :ohyea:

No more Spyder? What toys? I like the way you think!

ARtraveler
02-19-2020, 07:41 PM
I'm thinking your going to like the Vette. :bowdown: At this time in our lives, a long way to go, and a short time to get there. Enjoy it to the fullest measure.

Peter Aawen
02-19-2020, 07:43 PM
:agree: And the Best of Luck to you! :2thumbs:

Just don't be a stranger here! ;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-19-2020, 08:05 PM
No more Spyder? What toys? I like the way you think!
Sell the Spyder ….. NEVER ….. however my Cobra Daytona, the Cobra 427 roadster, and the Mercedes Benz 500 K can go on the block ….. even the Porsche 917 isn't safe :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ….. :2excited: ……….. Mike :ohyea:

jiffy
02-19-2020, 08:20 PM
That sounds like an excellent idea. Best of Luck with your new toy.

larryd
02-19-2020, 08:43 PM
I too have always been a Ford guy and I still dream of a GT 40...I could almost see myself in the 2020 Vette...I think GM took a short cut by not offering AWD with that kind of performance...larryd

RICZ
02-19-2020, 10:15 PM
Hey Mike, I'm jealous! I think the Vette is a better way to go than the GT40 because the Vette is MUCH easier to get in and out of. That's an important factor for us mature people. I too drool over the GT40, but the Vette is really more practical as well as being a helluva lot cheaper.
I'm 83 and drive a Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi cus we need a sedan and there is only room in our garage for two vehicles. So no additional wheel toys allowed. I have had this car on the track (a road race course) and will again this summer. If you have a course near you and they do the SCCA Track Nights, take your Vette there - it's a hoot!

canamjhb
02-19-2020, 10:30 PM
The 917!!!!!? That has been a couple year project that you acquired from Arizona. You just can't put that on the block. But a 2020 Vette..... Sweet..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Hey Mike, I'm jealous! I think the Vette is a better way to go than the GT40 because the Vette is MUCH easier to get in and out of. That's an important factor for us mature people. I too drool over the GT40, but the Vette is really more practical as well as being a helluva lot cheaper.
I'm 83 and drive a Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi cus we need a sedan and there is only room in our garage for two vehicles. So no additional wheel toys allowed. I have had this car on the track (a road race course) and will again this summer. If you have a course near you and they do the SCCA Track Nights, take your Vette there - it's a hoot!

" 300 C " …. When I was a teenager :clap: one of my friends sold His split window Vette for a 300 C because He wanted a convertible and it had the Hemi ….. I thought that was a mis-take ….. Mike :ohyea:

RICZ
02-19-2020, 11:01 PM
Like this?

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 12:43 AM
Like this?

Yep, but His was light metallic blue and No roof :roflblack: …. considering how heavy it was the Hemi could get it moving at a very fast clip ….. Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 12:46 AM
:agree: And the Best of Luck to you! :2thumbs:

Just don't be a stranger here! ;)

As stated above, not selling the Spyder :thumbup:...……...Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 01:00 AM
The 917!!!!!? That has been a couple year project that you acquired from Arizona. You just can't put that on the block. But a 2020 Vette..... Sweet..... Jim

" the 917 " …. a word to the wise - be very very careful of what and how people describe their car. …. I bought the 917 on E-bay …(for cheap ) lots of pics, but they turned out to be deceptive …. I could have gotten it on the road in about 3-4 weeks, but only a Dwarf could have been comfortable in it …. and the bare engine was actually between the seats so it couldn't be registered in Vermont …. none of the pics showed this …. also there was no access to the engine , unless the entire body was removed from the frame …. So far I have solved most of the major issues, now a person up 6'4" & 200 lbs could drive it. The rear half opens via electric struts, I figured out what & where to get an entire new front suspension ( ala Mustang II ) …. and how to build a new front frame & how to attach it to the rear half … I bought this car Before I decided to re-enter the downhill ski sport …. last year I skied 66 days …. this year 44 so far …. the project is moving along but at a slower pace than I would like …. but that's how life is sometimes. I just take it one day at a time … and try to maximize my Happy time. …… Thanks …. Mike :ohyea:…. Before I sell the Cobra Roadster, I plan to take it over and see Bob ( Denman ) and His wife ( Cathy ? ) , Bob once told me She loved Cobra's, so if She can we'll take it for a spin - and go as fast as She wants …..:thumbup:

Joel The Biker
02-20-2020, 01:03 AM
I just bought a fun toy for my 50th birthday. I considered a vette also, but decided to get something more practical for my needs. I bought a 400hp 2020 Ford Explorer ST. This thing is a blast to drive! And with a programmer and exhaust, you can get the hp up around 550! Congrats on your future vette, but I like your kit cars much better because they are more unique. 178913

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 01:07 AM
I just bought a fun toy for my 50th birthday. I considered a vette also, but decided to get something more practical for my needs. I bought a 400hp 2020 Ford Explorer ST. This thing is a blast to drive! And with a programmer and exhaust, you can get the hp up around 550! 178913

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET , Those things are very deceptive, reminds me of the Chevy 409 a real Sleeper in it's day ….. enjoy ….. Mike :ohyea:

troop
02-20-2020, 06:42 AM
Very cool, but have you found one available ? Thought I heard that the basic packages were very limited/sold out ?

Saluda
02-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Wish you luck.

PMK
02-20-2020, 07:32 AM
Corvette sounds nice. Regarding GT40, a while back I met Scott C. He was the importer of Tornado Sports Cars here in the US. Tornado offered a pretty nice GT40. Not sure if Scott C is still involved with importing the cars. He was in your area, maybe southern New England.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Corvette sounds nice. Regarding GT40, a while back I met Scott C. He was the importer of Tornado Sports Cars here in the US. Tornado offered a pretty nice GT40. Not sure if Scott C is still involved with importing the cars. He was in your area, maybe southern New England.

" GT 40 ", a company - Superformance was having a replica made for them in So. Africa, it was in the $100,000 range. it closely replicated the original. …. My two Cobra's are both Replica's, as is the Mercedes. Tornado may also be sourcing their's from So. Africa ….Thanks , Mike :ohyea:

krakum1967
02-20-2020, 10:01 AM
We did no go with a Full Corvette, but we did own an older LS1 Camaro for years. I loved that car. We still keep a fast car around as well. Its not a super sport or a Vette, but we do own the Dodge Dart ST (with the twin turbo 1.4L, they call it MultiAir), its rated at 300 HP in a compact car, and I had to tune that a little too don't you know. Just yesterday I whooped up on some idiot in an older BMW 5 series whose owner thought his grandpa sedan was fast. My youngest boy owns it for now, and he wants to trade it to me for my RAM1500 with some cash when he gets older.

Than my RAM1500, now that is a whole other beast, Hemi 5.7 with the newer multispeed tranny (8 or 9 speed, I always forget how many it has). That is one hella fast pickup, and I have no issues reminding people all the time that "Yes, it has a Hemi". I put on a Magna Flow Dual Exhaust (I had the old Canadian Single Pipe set up), cold air intake and the performance chip...Yea, my truck has a Hemi, and I wont own anything less than that from now on. SO I do not blame you for getting the Vette. You have earned it.

I want the new Polaris or Can Am Performance Side by Side. I keep taking the RAM down these abandoned mining trails, and I am gonna get stuck out there one of these days if I keep ****ing around, and we do not have cell service here, so the side by side is something we can more safely explore the area in.

PMK
02-20-2020, 10:16 AM
" GT 40 ", a company - Superformance was having a replica made for them in So. Africa, it was in the $100,000 range. it closely replicated the original. …. My two Cobra's are both Replica's, as is the Mercedes. Tornado may also be sourcing their's from So. Africa ….Thanks , Mike :ohyea:

Tornado is a UK company building the chassis there in the UK.
Years ago, while training Scott C in advanced composite repair, we discussed these cars he was i porting. Granted this is not vs a new 20 Corvette, but it seems Scotts GT40 Tornado had shamed his bosses Corvette. So apparently these Tornado cars are pretty light, fast and well handling.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Tornado is a UK company building the chassis there in the UK.
Years ago, while training Scott C in advanced composite repair, we discussed these cars he was i porting. Granted this is not vs a new 20 Corvette, but it seems Scotts GT40 Tornado had shamed his bosses Corvette. So apparently these Tornado cars are pretty light, fast and well handling.

Thanks - I have loved the GT 40 since it whooped Ferrari back in the ( but that was After Shelby's Cobra Daytona had already done it - only 6 were ever made ) ….. But even the street model was a squeeze to operate and really bad visibility.... and it was suspended for track duty ….. I'm old and want something a bit more comfortable for long distance touring ….. Mike :ohyea:

ARtraveler
02-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Great thread. :2thumbs: :bowdown: :firstplace:

TicketBait
02-20-2020, 12:26 PM

Wish you luck, they are in high demand, my brother would get one but none available around him, he is in Texas :( I too love this monster just need a bigger garage. I have owned 3 previous vets each a different generation, this by far is the one!

such a gorgeous car! great choice

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/IMG_1065.jpeg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/IMG_1066.jpeg

What color you considering?

Raprider
02-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Looking forward to pics, Mike!!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 12:46 PM
Wish you luck, they are in high demand, my brother would get one but none available around him, he is in Texas :( I too love this monster just need a bigger garage. I have owned 3 previous vets each a different generation, this by far is the one!

such a gorgeous car! great choice

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/IMG_1065.jpeg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/IMG_1066.jpeg

What color you considering?

:agree: … I'm hoping I live long enough to get one ….. I've been friends with the local Chevy dealer for over 40 years, did Him some favors. So maybe it will be worth something. …… Thanks …. Mike :ohyea:...I'm leaning towards the Orange one

JoshHefnerX
02-20-2020, 02:41 PM
I too have always been a Ford guy and I still dream of a GT 40...I could almost see myself in the 2020 Vette...I think GM took a short cut by not offering AWD with that kind of performance...larryd

I thought the zr1 version was getting AWD.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2020, 03:34 PM
I thought the zr1 version was getting AWD.

It was contemplated by Chevy, however it would added quite a bit of weight without a large amount of improvement in it's handling …. annnnnnd it would have added $10,000 to $15,000 in cost. IMHO I'm very glad they didn't …… Mike :ohyea:

johnsimion
02-20-2020, 07:45 PM
I think you've got a great idea but I also think you're going to need a great deal more than $55K to buy one. Everything I've read says the 2020s are going to go higher yet and I suspect the dealers are going to be eager to make a killing on them until the supply catches up to demand. I remember shopping for a then-new 2014 Corvette and the dealers wanted $10K over the sticker and wouldn't even let me take a test-drive. In 2019, they were eager to sell me a car but I suspect they're going to treat the 2020s like they did the 2014s. I bought a torch red 2019 (2LT, Z51) but even with a great discount it was way over $55K. Nevertheless it is a fantastic car and Chevy also subsidized my tuition to the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School, which was two of the most fun days I have ever spent in a car ... driving 120 on the straights and seeing how fast I can make the turns on a racetrack ... with professional guidance. If you get your 2020, save a little extra to come out to Vegas to do the Ron Fellows course, you won't regret it.

safecracker
02-20-2020, 07:57 PM
Mike, go for it. Bruce

d.o.spyder-rts
02-21-2020, 12:22 AM
Add my name to the go for it list and good luck. Dale

bscrive
02-21-2020, 01:31 PM
The new vettes are pretty hard to come by. Pretty much only the high end ones are available. Have fun in your search.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-21-2020, 03:02 PM
The new vettes are pretty hard to come by. Pretty much only the high end ones are available. Have fun in your search.

If I have to wait a year or so …. then I'll wait …. thanks ….. Mike :ohyea: