PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Lamonster
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Been doing a little research on the rear wheel bearings on our Spyder. The BRP bearing crosses over to a NSK 6205
I've found these anywhere from $20.00
http://www.replacementbearings.com/index.php?MenuLevel1=Item&SalesList=REPLACBEAR&ReturnLevel1=Items&ReturnLevel2=NSK&ItemDisplay=N6205VV&OEMFlag=0
to $3.24 for the same bearing.

Here's a link to the cheaper ones.
Amazon.com: Bearing, 25mm I.D. x 52mm O.D. x 15mm Wide Precision Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing  Two Seals: Industrial & Scientific

It might be good to keep a couple of these as spares if you're on the road and need to replace them.

ataDude
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Good job, young man. Let us know if they actually work. :thumbup:

gazey
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks Lamont, are they sealed (2RS rubber) or shielded (ZZ metal)
These are 6000 series bearings and are made by lots of top brand manufacturers like SKF, NSK, etc and should be available from any good bearing shop.
Are all three the same bearing.

Longlegs
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Be wary of counterfeit stuff online. Something like a bearing I would want to know it is not some cheap chinese one.

Lamonster
07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks Lamont, are they sealed (2RS rubber) or shielded (ZZ metal)
These are 6000 series bearings and are made by lots of top brand manufacturers like SKF, NSK, etc and should be available from any good bearing shop.
Are all three the same bearing.
Bearing, 25mm I.D. x 52mm O.D. x 15mm Wide Precision Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing Two Seals

Lamonster
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Be wary of counterfeit stuff online. Something like a bearing I would want to know it is not some cheap chinese one.
We have China tires on the Spyder now so I'm not sure we don't have China bearings too. I have stock and these coming so I'll let you know.

WaltH
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
How about the double-wide bearing in the sprocket? The 2009 wheel bearings have a different BRP part number. Do you have a cross-reference number for these, or are they not physically different?

I sent an email to Carlo with similar questions - will post the reply when I get one.

WaltH
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
We have China tires on the Spyder now so I'm not sure we don't have China bearings too. I have stock and these coming so I'll let you know.
The 2008 stock bearings were made in China.

Lamonster
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
How about the double-wide bearing in the sprocket? The 2009 wheel bearings have a different BRP part number. Do you have a cross-reference number for these, or are they not physically different?

I sent an email to Carlo with similar questions - will post the reply when I get one.

I have one of those coming too and when I get it in hand I'll see what the match is.

dabreitbach
07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
WOW. If memory serves me right those are the same bearings they use in the bogey wheels one their skidoo snowmobiles. I will have to go out im my sled parts box & check. Small world isn't it? :popcorn:

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
WOW. If memory serves me right those are the same bearings they use in the bogey wheels one their skidoo snowmobiles. I will have to go out im my sled parts box & check. Small world isn't it? :popcorn:
Makes sense...why re-invent the wheel? (no pun intended)

Wheelz
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Here's another if you want a better quality ceramic bearing..

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=7585&n=SMR6205C-2YS/TH9/C4_#3_NB2

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 10:31 PM

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=7585&n=SMR6205C-2YS/TH9/C4_#3_NB2

Wow! Really! Ceramic bearings... Sounds great but I'd think they would not handle shock loads well. It says for off road use though.

Interesting!

Lamonster
07-29-2009, 07:37 AM

$90.00 :shocked: I guess it would be worth it if they never failed.

Just Doo Me
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Royal Distributing in Canada sells this size ,it is the same as the Ski-Doo idler wheel bearing as well as a few other uses. pg 185-186 http://www.royaldistributing.com/ShoppingCart/MiddleRedirect.aspx?page=Snow2009/185.html

Lamonster
07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Royal Distributing in Canada sells this size ,it is the same as the Ski-Doo idler wheel bearing as well as a few other uses. pg 185-186 http://www.royaldistributing.com/ShoppingCart/MiddleRedirect.aspx?page=Snow2009/185.html

10 pack for $34 bucks :thumbup:

Extracool
07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
BRP had problems with the ceramic bearings in the superchargers on the jet ski's and supercharged jet boats and replaced them,with stainless steel, I think, but I know they had problems with the ceramic.:spyder:

Lamonster
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Here's the stock BRP bearing.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=4771

Longlegs
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I wasn't trying to say all China stuff is bad, but when I have gone to the bearing store they always ask if I want a china bearing or a good bearing. This started me thinking; if the bearing says china, is there one big factory that makes all of the "china bearings" or is there a chance that some come fom better quality sources? Maybe a high school factory versus kindergarten factory

Roadkill
07-29-2009, 09:46 PM
+To get your China bearing simply means you face east as you pay...

(What?)

Ride on.
Roadkill

Longlegs
07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
+To get your China bearing simply means you face east as you pay...

(What?)

Ride on.
Roadkill

Well I'm in Illinois so it's closer for me to face west.

BajaRon
07-31-2009, 06:05 AM
I wasn't trying to say all China stuff is bad, but when I have gone to the bearing store they always ask if I want a china bearing or a good bearing. This started me thinking; if the bearing says china, is there one big factory that makes all of the "china bearings" or is there a chance that some come fom better quality sources? Maybe a high school factory versus kindergarten factory

I think this is due to initial offerings from China that were absoulte junk. Just like when Japan started making things their stuff was junk.

China has been working on their quality control issues. They still put out a lot of junk and I'm not saying their bearings are as good as those made in the US.

On the other hand, some China bearings may be as good. They are certainly much better than they were. But they did earn a reputation and it will take quite some time to live that down.

Plus, there is a growing animosity towards products made outside the US (since almost nothing is made here anymore). Another reason you may be getting this statement for your parts guy.

Trouble is, even many good old US made bearing name brands are now being produced in China or elsewhere.

Putt-Putt
07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Well I hope I don't need to replace these bearings, But if I do how hard are they to replace?

Lamonster
07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Well I hope I don't need to replace these bearings, But if I do how hard are they to replace?
It's not bad but I would have your dealer do it if you've never done it before.
The nice thing is you can take the hub apart so you can knock the bearing out from the back side without a special tool.

Lamonster
08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Got my bearings and they look pretty good. :doorag:

They are made in China.
The inner race seems to be a little thicker than stock.
They turn smoother than the stock bearing I have in hand now.
The two black bearings are the new ones and the red bearing is the stock one.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=5372

jedd
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Lamont have you replaced yours yet? Mine feel fine at 10500 miles when will this be an issue in your opinion?
:popcorn:

Lamonster
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Lamont have you replaced yours yet? Mine feel fine at 10500 miles when will this be an issue in your opinion?
:popcorn:
I had one spin in the hub at 36,000 miles. The others seem to be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGSCDrIn8Y

jedd
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Cool thanks I'll just keep an eye on em'
Thanks, Jim

SpyderGirl
08-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Just got a call from the dealer telling me that they have the "outer" bearing, but not the other two and that they are backordered until the 26th. He said that the bearings look good and we gave him the okay to replace the "outer" bearing. He tells me it's $22 for this part that they do have.

Do you think I'm running a risk of bearing failure if I let the other other two go until after my 6000 mile trip? I have 15K miles now.

Any information would be helpful.

capt.jim
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
The hub bearing is larger and wider, cost me $72, made by National, part #5106-wcc, looked on the back of the box, "made in China", even the bearing salesman was surprised, haven't installed it yet, hope it's a good one. The dealers should stock at least one of every wear and tear item, brake pads, belt, bearings and seals, exhaust seals, it's not like their going to sit on the shelf forever, I'm lucky if they have oil filters in stock.

Firefly
04-08-2010, 06:12 PM
The hub bearing is larger and wider, cost me $72, made by National, part #5106-wcc, looked on the back of the box, "made in China", even the bearing salesman was surprised, haven't installed it yet, hope it's a good one. The dealers should stock at least one of every wear and tear item, brake pads, belt, bearings and seals, exhaust seals, it's not like their going to sit on the shelf forever, I'm lucky if they have oil filters in stock.

That's way too much for that bearing--- if we're talking about the same one -- here are the OEM bearings and prices:

The Wheel:

Product Number: 293350055
Description: BALL BEARING for 2008 Can-Am Spyder GS 990 5-Speed Order

Unit Price: $7.49

The Hub:

Product Number: 293350065
Description: *BEARING for 2008 Can-Am Spyder GS 990 5-Speed

Unit Price: $18.49

gazey
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Has anyone got the dimensions for the larger pulley bearing.
I am fitting a new rear tyre next week and I will change the bearings at the same time. Is the bearing number 5106 :dontknow:

j45p3r
04-09-2010, 08:49 AM
All I'll say is that I know someone who replaced the front wheel bearing on his GMC pickup 3 times in 6 months, they were all made by National (made in China). I realize it's apples to oranges, but just sayin'.

capt.jim
04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
3 times in 6 months?, he had another problem or was overtightening them or something, no bearing should go bad that quickly. I would have switched brands after the first time, certainly after the second!

boborgera
04-09-2010, 09:20 PM
3 times in 6 months?, he had another problem or was overtightening them or something, no bearing should go bad that quickly. I would have switched brands after the first time, certainly after the second!

Yep over tightening. Been there once. live and learn. :(

j45p3r
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
These were sealed hub units that can't be over tightened. He used the same brand because the parts store was replacing them under warranty. He eventually switched to a Timkin unit that hasn't been a problem.

krb1945
04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
GL1500 rear wheel bearing set handy. They might be the same... don't have any on the bench or cabinet but if memory is working today... it seems one of the rears was a wide big bearing and the other was a smaller one. I just dumped my junk bucket and the old ones went to scrap metal. Boy I wish I had measured it. The last time I bought one of them it was about 50 bucks and they were good quality Japanese bearings... made in Japan. /Ken

Freddy
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Does anybody know if non-genuine seals are available or have the dimensions of them or p/n? Thanks.

GaryTheBadger
07-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Has it been determined if aftermarket rear wheel bearings are better than OEM? If so, is there a current list of the recommended aftermarket replacement parts for a complete rear wheel bearing R&R?

Should all the seals and o-rings be replaced at the same time as well? Any special tools required for bearing or seal pulling (as the service manual states)?

Anything else we need to know?

Time estimate start-to-finish for someone mechanically saavy?

This is all for a 2008 GS.

Freddy
07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Driven pulley takes a 30BD40DF2 (double row) Also Known As: 30BG05S5G2DS or 5006-2RS 30x55x23mm.

Wheel takes 2 of 6205 2RS bearings. Seals are 37x55mm two needed but will need OEM as they're an odd size

Three O-rings 15IDx3mm needed and one 60IDx3mm

The O rings and seals are cheap so replace all. Allow a couple of hours, no need to rush. Circlip pliers needed and usual hand tools. The OEM pulley bearing doesn't seem to last terribly long - usually the first of the 3 to go and indicated by belt track moving and/or click/rattle (but this can be caused by other things too.)

Edit: and you'll need a tool of some specific sort to remove one axle bearing.

GaryTheBadger
07-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Freddy...that's exactly what I was looking for! :)

GaryTheBadger
07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Follow-up question: Where you call for three O-rings 15IDx3mm, I can only find two of them in the BRP on-line parts catalog (two of that type, one of the other type, three total O-rings) What am I missing?

Freddy
07-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Follow-up question: Where you call for three O-rings 15IDx3mm, I can only find two of them in the BRP on-line parts catalog (two of that type, one of the other type, three total O-rings) What am I missing?

Sorry, I don't recall - maybe it's just 2 and I mistakenly typed 3 - you'll see when you dismantle. By the way, I used Loctite 680 and primer when installing the large pulley bearing as there is about 0.5mm movement against the circlip. I'm pretty sure that the clicking noise I heard was the bearing moving within that space as it's a slip fit in the pulley. Others have described the noise elsewhere here.

Spyder Monkey
08-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Resurrecting an old thread...
Spyder needs a new rear tire and it has 23K miles. I also need an oil change and I was going to order the filter, crush washer, and whatever bearings I need from our new sponsor, Honda East Toledo.

Should I go ahead and do the wheel bearings at 24K? How much money roughly for the part(s)? What parts would I need to order?

Thanks in advance,
David

Crisis
08-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Sure would be nice to have some step by step pics or video on how to do this.
Thanks

ulflyer
08-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I should have read the manual and had mine done at time the rear tire was installed but didn't, so my question is; does these bearings give some "warning" noise, or other indication, before they fail entirely? Its not something I could do and its gonna be a long time before another rear tire is needed. I have nearly 17K on the RT, and 6K on the tire.

johnwinslow
08-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Resurrecting an old thread...
Spyder needs a new rear tire and it has 23K miles. I also need an oil change and I was going to order the filter, crush washer, and whatever bearings I need from our new sponsor, Honda East Toledo.

Should I go ahead and do the wheel bearings at 24K? How much money roughly for the part(s)? What parts would I need to order?

Thanks in advance,
David

i just bought them for a 2011 rt-s rear wheel bearings, seals and oring. for $69.00. when i took the rear wheel off icould spin the sproket bearing, but could not spin the wheel bearings so i took it to the dealer and he replaced them under warrentee. 11,500 miles

ulflyer
08-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I've read this whole thread which started way back, but didn't see any ref to U.S. made bearings. Has anyone come up with anything they can share? I'd like to get a full set, with seals, for sprocket and wheel and have them on hand.

bill pitman
08-05-2012, 07:42 AM
I've read this whole thread which started way back, but didn't see any ref to U.S. made bearings. Has anyone come up with anything they can share? I'd like to get a full set, with seals, for sprocket and wheel and have them on hand.

Sprocket bearing(1,wide)- KYK 5006-2RS, made in Japan
Hub bearings(2)- SKF Explorer-6205-2RSH/C3, made in USA
Joint Torique- O-ring(large), BRP #293300124, made in China
Joint Torique- O-ring(small), BRP #293300131, made in China
Seals(2)- BRP #293200094, made in Taiwan

bill pitman

Firefly
08-05-2012, 08:00 AM
I should have read the manual and had mine done at time the rear tire was installed but didn't, so my question is; does these bearings give some "warning" noise, or other indication, before they fail entirely? Its not something I could do and its gonna be a long time before another rear tire is needed. I have nearly 17K on the RT, and 6K on the tire.

Hopefully since your Spyder should be running the lower belt tension , you won't have any troubles. Many times you can hear bearing noise when they go bad. I could hear mine go bad once and things just didn't 'feel' right. The other time I had the sprocket bearing spinning -- which you could hear. Was a bit hard to hear over my exhaust, but one of my HD buddies noticed the noise from behind. Pulling in clutch, killing the engine and coasting I could hear it too. Had to peen things up to get a new bearing to seat well again.

Your dealer dropped the ball by not replacing them at 17,000 miles.

Firefly
08-05-2012, 08:06 AM

I looked extensively for other bearings and didn't come up with much.. and what I did find was WAY more expensive... and still made in China for the most part.

With the new lower belt tensions, I wouldn't be as concerned... but I change my bearings every OTHER rear tire change... so around every 16,000 miles.

ulflyer
08-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks Bill for the part nrs; will see if I can locate them locally as theres shops around that specialize in bearings. I want to get a set and have them on hand, just in case.
It will give me something to do, and if I can't find them I'll go online.

And Firefly...thanks for info and advice. If I'd paid more attention to my manual I'd have known it called for replacements and could have had it done with tire change.

WaltH
08-07-2012, 02:41 PM

The BRP bearings are made in the USA. BRP switched over in 2009. All models use the same part numbers.

ulflyer
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks Walt, thats good to know. Saves me trucking around to find them. Any idea what US company makes them? Just curious.

Firefly
08-07-2012, 06:37 PM
The BRP bearings are made in the USA. BRP switched over in 2009. All models use the same part numbers.

I've gotten them recently and some where USA.. some where China....... it's hit or miss.

cyclelover63
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I just had a stock rear tire and all rear wheel bearings replaced at the dealer and it cost me $402.00...Since I didn't want to tackle this myself,due to health reasons,I didn't think this was too bad..Anyone else have a price of their dealer doing the same to compare?? :dontknow:
This also included $26.00 to adjust parking brake,so tire and bearing job was app $375.00....parts,tax and labor...Think thats pretty good and also great service from Holzauer Motor sports in Nashville,Illinois...And ,no,i do not work there!!!

Freddy
09-25-2012, 06:30 AM
This tool fits the rear wheel right side bearing retainer nut. I have one for my Kawasaki so I know - just used it on Spyder - perfect.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWINGARM-PIVOT-CASTLE-LOCK-NUT-TOOL-fits-KAWASAKI-ZG1400-CONCOURS-ZX1400-ZX-14-/200658150133?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2eb82862f5

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWINGARM-PIVOT-CASTLE-LOCK-NUT-TOOL-fits-KAWASAKI-ZG1400-CONCOURS-ZX1400-ZX-14-/200658150133?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2eb82862f5

stovebolt_six
09-28-2018, 06:54 PM
Are the wheel bearings the same on the RT and the F3?

johnwinslow
09-30-2018, 07:28 PM
i just bought them for a 2011 rt-s rear wheel bearings, seals and oring. for $69.00. when i took the rear wheel off icould spin the sproket bearing, but could not spin the wheel bearings so i took it to the dealer and he replaced them under warrentee. 11,500 miles
I now have 48000 miles and they are fine ,they were stock BRP