PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap

chascarpenter1
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
How long should the wrap on the exhaust pipes smoke for?

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
How long should the wrap on the exhaust pipes smoke for?

It is best to break the wrap in slowly. It will smoke less and last longer.

In other words, start up the bike and let it idle until you start to smell it. Then shut down and let it cool some.

Do this 2 or 3 times before you ride it. That helps the wrap cure before you really bake it with full heat.

It will smell for a little while but after a ride or 2 it will go away.

burg650
07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I only did the left side so far and it took about 100 miles before I can say the smoking was all gone. I did start and run it a few time when it was first done and the first time it smoked like hell I even got the hose ready just in case. I was told that I should have pre-soaked it first and or after I wrapped it should have sprayed water on before I start it, not sure if this was right or not but it will go away the hard part was while waiting for it to stop smoking a few time while at a stop light some people would look at the bike and me and there face told me they were thinking dude do you not see your bike is on fire kind of freak them out I believe.

SpyderGirl
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I am considering this.... I assume it's wrapped around the exhaust pipe itself all the way up the manifold? Where do you get it at and what do you use? Might be a good idea to do this before departing on my cross-country trip. Every little bit helps!!

smokster
07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
This does not sound like it is good for the bike to contain this heat.
I am not a mechanic, but this subject sounds interesting.

bone crusher
07-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Interesting point...hmmmm...this bike gets hot enough!

SpyderGirl
07-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I was reading up about them on my lunch break. Sounds like it's a great idea! I definitely will be ordering myself some.

wyliec
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
It prevents the heat from radiating, and carries it away through the exhaust system......

Maybe the exhaust temp. isn't dissipated as quickly with the pipe wrapped. Won't that cause the engine temp. to go up.

I'm speaking from an air conditioning background. As the discharge temp. of the refrigerant gas goes up it causes the compressor temp. to go up along with the oil temp. In some applications they would run a section of the cooler suction line along the discharge line. Too high a compressor temp. would result in oil breakdown. The higher discharge temp. also reduces the compressor capacity.

I'm not saying that will happen here. But, maybe it's something to think about.

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Actually, keeping the heat inside the exhaust pipe and out of the engine compartment is all good.

Hotter air travels faster effectively increasing the volocity of the exhaust gasses and increasing the efficiency of your exhaust system. Racers have known this for years. That is where this "Header Tape" got its start.

Anything that makes an engine more efficient will effectively lean out the mixture. However, fuel injected engines have some ability to compensate and add more fuel (carbs can't do this without changing out hard parts).

In this case I don't think it will give you a leaner mix. Instead, it should increase your power.

Some heat in the engine compartment is not a problem. But the Spyder is a little overboard in this regard. The airbox gets hot raising the incoming air temp. That will decrease power and increase engine temps as some cooling occurs with cooler incoming air.

It also heats up the gas tank. Hotter fuel, like hotter air, is less dense and will reduce power. Fuel is also a component of engine cooling so cooloer fuel is a good thing all around.

I'm not saying that you're going to see any huge difference in power if you wrap the exhaust. But you will see a noticeable reduction in engine compartment temps (which is the main objective here) and other side effects are all good as well.

All of your sensors, hoses, and other components will last longer and function better over time with a reduction of engine compartment heat. Your plastic pannels will also appreciate lower temps.

One more thing. You will notice that the engine is quieter when you wrap the exhaust. Again, not huge but noticable.

Just don't see how you can go wrong with this mod. I suggest the 1" wide wrap that is impregnated with graphite (Black). It comes in wider sizes which may seem like a good idea (covers more ground with less wraps). But the narrower stuff gets around bends more uniformly.

Check this out.

http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/thermotec/header_wrap.htm

smokster
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Actually, keeping the heat inside the exhaust pipe and out of the engine compartment is all good.

Hotter air travels faster effectively increasing the volocity of the exhaust gasses and increasing the efficiency of your exhaust system. Racers have known this for years. That is where this "Header Tape" got its start.

Anything that makes an engine more efficient will effectively lean out the mixture. However, fuel injected engines have some ability to compensate and add more fuel (carbs can't do this without changing out hard parts).

In this case I don't think it will give you a leaner mix. Instead, it should increase your power.

Some heat in the engine compartment is not a problem. But the Spyder is a little overboard in this regard. The airbox gets hot raising the incoming air temp. That will decrease power and increase engine temps as some cooling occurs with cooler incoming air.

It also heats up the gas tank. Hotter fuel, like hotter air, is less dense and will reduce power. Fuel is also a component of engine cooling so cooloer fuel is a good thing all around.

I'm not saying that you're going to see any huge difference in power if you wrap the exhaust. But you will see a noticeable reduction in engine compartment temps (which is the main objective here) and other side effects are all good as well.

All of your sensors, hoses, and other components will last longer and function better over time with a reduction of engine compartment heat. Your plastic pannels will also appreciate lower temps.

One more thing. You will notice that the engine is quieter when you wrap the exhaust. Again, not huge but noticable.

Just don't see how you can go wrong with this mod. I suggest the 1" wide wrap that is impregnated with graphite (Black). It comes in wider sizes which may seem like a good idea (covers more ground with less wraps). But the narrower stuff gets around bends more uniformly.

Check this out.

http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/thermotec/header_wrap.htm
Good information, thanks.
So, how many feet will we need for this cooool mod?

bone crusher
07-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Please post pics of this when you're done wrapping...I'm curious to see what it looks like...

SSG Bean
07-28-2009, 07:26 PM
I have had my exhaust wrapped for about 3k miles and have had the Leo Vince for about the same amount of time and haven't had any major issues. I have noticed some increase in deceleration backfire, but it is not major. I did notice that the "under plastic" temps seem much lower and that is worth the risk of a lean condition to me.

SSG Bean
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Please post pics of this when you're done wrapping...I'm curious to see what it looks like...

Here's the thread with my pics.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=89878#post89878

smokster
07-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Here's the thread with my pics.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=89878#post89878
Very nice.
How long did it take to do the wrap?

CheeseCake
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Did you remove the exhaust?
or wrap them on the bike?

also did you soak the wrap in water before wrapping??

thanks
CC

Webhead
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
As long as you're aware of the possible consequences of an overly lean condition, then it's all good:thumbup:

OK, I'll ask - What are the possible consequences of an overly lean condition? :dontknow::helpsmilie:

Blinc
07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I ordered my wrap from here: http://www.deicycle.com/catalog/1/motorcycle_exhaust_pipe_wrap_kits

If you leave the pipes on, it will be easier, just not as complete. I removed my pipes and did both sides. Some people seem to notice a big difference, but afer wrapping my spyder and my wifes spyder...at least on our bikes, we have not noticed it to be that significant of a difference, but then again, we live in Florida and its hot out here. One thing I did notice is my right foot gets even hotter...a lot hotter now since wrapping the right side and I'm not sure what that would be the cause of it, but I would think so since it now happens after the wrap. I did have the dealer check it for exhaust leaks and no issues there.
Today I installed a DEI insulated type of deal in the radiator area, so will see how that makes it feel on my next ride tomorrow.
If you don't remove the pipes, its a fairly easy mod, and if you get the kit, with the instructions provided, you will be fine.

NancysToy
07-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Overly lean conditions are less likely in a system that has an O2 sensor in the exhaust, which will allow the injection to compensate for the higher flow. In a race system, without sensors, it is another story altogether, and you can most certainly damage components if you do not somehow richen your mixture immediately.

aka1004
07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
i have mine wrapped end to end but with recommendation from my current dealer and ken from evoluzione.net i will be taking them off. wrap is keeping the heat in and may cause premature gasket damage and others and was design to be cooled by the air flow inside engine compartment, according to both of them.

NancysToy
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM
i have mine wrapped end to end but with recommendation from my current dealer and ken from evoluzione.net i will be taking them off. wrap is keeping the heat in and may cause premature gasket damage and others and was design to be cooled by the air flow inside engine compartment, according to both of them.
Exhaust gasket damage?

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
OK, I'll ask - What are the possible consequences of an overly lean condition? :dontknow::helpsmilie:

Depends on how overly lean you go. All EPA engines run lean these days. It is supposed to reduce emissions and I guess we will have to take their word on it. So Lean is a relative thing.

You can get away with a certain amount of lean.

A lot of lean and you'll destroy an engine in short order. Wrapping your exhauast isn't going to make any appreciable difference to your fuel mix and that's what is important here.

aka1004
07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Exhaust gasket damage?
i am guessing because wrap is retaining heat it can cause engine to run hotter and cause premature gasket failure? exhaust and or head.

i was hesitant take them off when one party recommended to take them off but when both recommend spyder is better off without the wrap, i will listen...

Some Guy
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I have the Micron exhaust and am about to install the O2 modifier. After reading this threat, I'm confused about whether or not to wrap. :helpsmilie:

:chat:

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Sorry but this really does not make much sense to me. I suppose the exhaust gaskets will take a bit more heat but they should be designed to take a lot more heat than could be safely created by this engine.

From what Lamont tells me the exhaust gaskets may be a weak link but that would not be the fault of wrapping the exhaust. He's found some much better exhaust gaskets made by Honda that should work really well.

As for cooling from air flow inside the engine compartment....there just isn't nearly enough air flow to cool those pipes. Why do you think it gets so nasty hot in there?

Personally, I would rather replace an exhaust gasket once in awhile than heat dammaged soft parts like sensors, hoses, spark plug wires, fuel lines, body pannels, etc.

I've got over 13,000 miles on my Spyder and almost all of that with wrapped exhaust. We just did 2 full days of 80mph + (over 1,100 miles in 1 day) in 104 degree heat going to California. No exhaust gasket damage on my Spyder.

Lamont has, what, 35,000 miles on his Spyder. Most of that with wrapped exhaust. He has had some exhaust gasket issues but so have a lot of bone stock Spyders. Plus, Lamont changes exhaust systems more often than I change my underware! All that off and on experimentation is harder on an exhaust gasket than a few more degrees of heat.

I like my pipes wrapped. Like everything else, some will and some won't. But from everything I've seen it's a very good way to go.

Some Guy
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Lamont changes exhaust systems more often than I change my underware!

YIKES!!! :yikes: I guess it's a good thing you didn't make it to Michigan for the reunion!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:D

aka1004
07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
i did like it when it first wrapped but it does makes sense that wrap is retaining heat and makes overall temp higher and i am assuming there is more air going thru the engine compartment than i thought there was once spyder starts moving. i will take little more heat on my legs than more heat on engine itself so wrapping will be unwrapped.:shemademe_smilie:

BajaRon
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
i am guessing because wrap is retaining heat it can cause engine to run hotter and cause premature gasket failure? exhaust and or head.

i was hesitant take them off when one party recommended to take them off but when both recommend spyder is better off without the wrap, i will listen...

I would like them to explain their reasoning a little better.

Your exhaust gasses are not hotter with the wrap. They exit the exhaust valve at the same temperature as always. Wrapping the exhaust pipe simply prevents a lot of heat from escaping into the engine compartment where it heats things up quite a bit.

Since less heat is radiated into the engine compartment, your side pannels, air box, fuel tank, and everything under the hood will be cooler. This is bad?

Many exhaust systems are double walled. Part of this is to keep the chrome from turning colors. Still, if insulating the exhaust pipe was a bad idea they would not do it. A double walled exhaust is essentially doing the same thing as wrapping. It retains exhaust gas heat inside the exhaust pipe.

Think of it this way. You have your hot water heater set at 125 degrees but your uninsulated pipes are losing heat and delivering only 110 degree water to the faucet.

If you insulate your pipes you'll get 120 degree water at the faucet. And you have not changed anything at the hot water heater. You're still generating the same 125 degree water.

You're not making the hot water heater run hotter and you're not making your engine run hotter by insulatiing the pipes. Your engine should actually run cooler, though I doubt we will see any difference.

SpyderGirl
07-29-2009, 12:25 AM
It seems to me that the benefits of wrapping your headers far outweighs the side effects.

On a side note, I noticed tonight that my exhaust is leaking.... and yes, I have a Hindle. I do not know how long it's been leaking, but it definitely is. Just one more thing for the dealer when it goes in for service.

BajaRon
07-29-2009, 05:54 AM
It seems to me that the benefits of wrapping your headers far outweighs the side effects.

On a side note, I noticed tonight that my exhaust is leaking.... and yes, I have a Hindle. I do not know how long it's been leaking, but it definitely is. Just one more thing for the dealer when it goes in for service.

Be sure the "Leak" is not designed in. Most mufflers have a weep hole designed to get rid of condensation. It will be located on the bottom at, or near, the lowest point of the muffler. You will get a small amount of exhaust through this hole.

If the leak is in the piping (which yours is not) then that is a failed gasket or lose fit (probably the gasket).

Lamont has found an exhaust gasket made by Honda that is less money and looks to be a better product than the BRP version. That is what I will use if I need to replace mine.

krb1945
07-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Lamonster which Honda p/n did you use to get the exhaust gaskets I want to go ahead and order some to have on hand?

I'm sure when the good number is posted their supply will decrease some.

Thank you, Ken

SpyderGirl
07-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Be sure the "Leak" is not designed in. Most mufflers have a weep hole designed to get rid of condensation. It will be located on the bottom at, or near, the lowest point of the muffler. You will get a small amount of exhaust through this hole.

If the leak is in the piping (which yours is not) then that is a failed gasket or lose fit (probably the gasket).

Lamont has found an exhaust gasket made by Honda that is less money and looks to be a better product than the BRP version. That is what I will use if I need to replace mine.

No, it's not the weep hole, I know all about that. It's back further, where it slips onto the header. I started the Spyder up last night and noticed it sounded like it was sputtering a bit and breathing funny. I stuck my hand underneath the exhaust pipe and could feel a considerable amount of exhaust coming out near the joint. I'm going to work on it this week and weekend and work all the kinks out.

BLACK WIDOW
07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
No, it's not the weep hole, I know all about that. It's back further, where it slips onto the header. I started the Spyder up last night and noticed it sounded like it was sputtering a bit and breathing funny. I stuck my hand underneath the exhaust pipe and could feel a considerable amount of exhaust coming out near the joint. I'm going to work on it this week and weekend and work all the kinks out.

When you get those "Kinks" worked out I'm sure a bunch of folks would like to know what they were since exhaust leaks seem to be a major issue with the Spyder.nojoke:doorag:

BajaRon
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Lamonster which Honda p/n did you use to get the exhaust gaskets I want to go ahead and order some to have on hand?

Thank you, Ken

Way better Y-pipe gasket for 1/2 the price (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12853)

SpyderGirl
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
When you get those "Kinks" worked out I'm sure a bunch of folks would like to know what they were since exhaust leaks seem to be a major issue with the Spyder.nojoke:doorag:

I will let you know if I have any luck. I just noticed the leak last night after about 10K miles of having the Hindle installed.

ataDude
07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I will let you know if I have any luck. I just noticed the leak last night after about 10K miles of having the Hindle installed.

One easy way to tell whether or not you have an upper or lower gasket leak is to take a shop towel (or two) and momentarily block the muffler exit. If you have a leak upstream, you'll hear it.

Just Doo Me
07-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Does anyone for see a problem with the wrap holding condensation and causing the pipe to prematurely rust out?:dontknow: More so in the cooler damper climates,when the temps. fluctuate greatly overnight.

Lamonster
07-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Thank you, Ken
Same one you found
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12853
as ataDude pointed out. :thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124797&postcount=7

It's a much better gasket than stock.:doorag:

bone crusher
07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Same one you found
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12853
as ataDude pointed out. :thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124797&postcount=7

It's a much better gasket than stock.:doorag:

Is this thing needed with the hindle? Anything higher up?

ataDude
07-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Does anyone for see a problem with the wrap holding condensation and causing the pipe to prematurely rust out?:dontknow: More so in the cooler damper climates,when the temps. fluctuate greatly overnight.

The stock pipes are stainless steel.

BajaRon
07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The stock pipes are stainless steel.

You beat me to it...

They are talking about Ceramic coating on the general board. That is the best way to go for sure. Much more expensive but does an even better job of holding the heat in than this wrap does.

Looks great too but that's not really an issue with the Spyder. I hope someone goes that route and lets us know.

Spanky
07-30-2009, 10:49 AM
You beat me to it...

They are talking about Ceramic coating on the general board. That is the best way to go for sure. Much more expensive but does an even better job of holding the heat in than this wrap does.

Looks great too but that's not really an issue with the Spyder. I hope someone goes that route and lets us know.

I know someone already did go to ceramic but I am not sure if it was on this board or not. It was about a year ago.

I did not hear any results.

BajaRon
07-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I know someone already did go to ceramic but I am not sure if it was on this board or not. It was about a year ago.

I did not hear any results.

I knew that Ceramic vs Tape thread wouldn't last on the general board. Surprised Lamont let it go this long.

There was a member that posted he did his Honda Valkyrie in Ceramic and liked the results. That had to be more for asthetics than for any real need. I had a Valkyrie and I didn't see any need for ceramics.

On another note, I worked for a Chief in San Diego who went by the nickname of Spanky. I hear he still rides and will be at Sturgis.

Maybe Spanky's are all riders!

krb1945
07-31-2009, 04:25 AM
You hit it out of the park with your writeup.

One way you can tell if you have too rich a mixture with the stock system is to watch your oil. If your oil gets a dark or dirty looking appearance in just a few hundred miles... more than likely you have a rich fuel mixture or a restricted air cleaner filter.

A lean a mixture and your exhaust pipe will overtemp and turn color, if chrome it will usually turn a shade of blue. Also if you lean out too much the machine will nose over when accelerating hard or if you demand power. Sometimes if it is too lean it will have a tendency to backfire when decelerating.

I just ordered my 50 foot roll of white insulation this evening. I've got two to wrap. JC Whitney has what I believe is a decent price on it. That assumption is based on what the price is here where I live.

The best way to treat these pipes is to use the ceramic coating inside and out. But it is expensive and the unit is down for awhile unless you just happen to have a complete set of replacement pipes.

I used Lamonsters idea of removing the two splash guards underneath the engine compartment. Under the same basic conditions, 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, the temp gauge now runs 2 bars lower on both the SE5 and SM5.

BajaRon
07-31-2009, 05:42 AM
You hit it out of the park with your writeup.

One way you can tell if you have too rich a mixture with the stock system is to watch your oil. If your oil gets a dark or dirty looking appearance in just a few hundred miles... more than likely you have a rich fuel mixture or a restricted air cleaner filter.

A lean a mixture and your exhaust pipe will overtemp and turn color, if chrome it will usually turn a shade of blue. Also if you lean out too much the machine will nose over when accelerating hard or if you demand power. Sometimes if it is too lean it will have a tendency to backfire when decelerating.

I just ordered my 50 foot roll of white insulation this evening. I've got two to wrap. JC Whitney has what I believe is a decent price on it. That assumption is based on what the price is here where I live.

The best way to treat these pipes is to use the ceramic coating inside and out. But it is expensive and the unit is down for awhile unless you just happen to have a complete set of replacement pipes.

I used Lamonsters idea of removing the two splash guards underneath the engine compartment. Under the same basic conditions, 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, the temp gauge now runs 2 bars lower on both the SE5 and SM5.

Removing the splash panels does help, especially when you're moving. Not so much in stop and go or sitting still.

The tape is a poor man's fix but it is a good alternative and not a Micky Mouse approach.

It takes awhile to do with the pipes on but with a little patience it comes out pretty good. I did both mine and Lamont's and we are both happy with the results.

SpyderGirl
08-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I just got done wrapping my pipes up and have already started it up once and now I am letting it cool before I start her up again. It took me about an hour to do this and I used 30' at 2" width. I didn't take the pipes off to do it.

BajaRon
08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I just got done wrapping my pipes up and have already started it up once and now I am letting it cool before I start her up again. It took me about an hour to do this and I used 30' at 2" width. I didn't take the pipes off to do it.

Let us know what you think overall as far as reduction in heat that you might notice.

SpyderGirl
08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Well after the ride today they have stopped smoking, which is good. I also had did a radiator flush and refill with Engine Ice as well as changing the spark plugs out to iridium plugs. I was hoping that all of that, along with the fact that I just changed the oil would let it run a little cooler. I think it might be, but it's difficult to tell. I was running between 3 and 5 bars during the ride, it stayed mostly at 4... it's too early to tell though, I'll keep you all updated.

BajaRon
08-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Well after the ride today they have stopped smoking, which is good. I also had did a radiator flush and refill with Engine Ice as well as changing the spark plugs out to iridium plugs. I was hoping that all of that, along with the fact that I just changed the oil would let it run a little cooler. I think it might be, but it's difficult to tell. I was running between 3 and 5 bars during the ride, it stayed mostly at 4... it's too early to tell though, I'll keep you all updated.

The exhaust wraps main function is to reduce temperatures in the engine compartment by keeping the heat inside the exhaust pipe and not allowing so much of it to radiate out. Though this should reduce engine temp some, it probably is not going to be a noticable amount.

If the Engine Ice reduces coolant temps that will decrease exhaust gas temps and that will (along with the wrap) reduce engine compartment temps even more.

If you used the standard 50/50 coolant/water solution the Engine Ice will probably not drop your temps very much. Usually about 5~8 degrees at 200 degrees.

If you go to a 30/70 coolant/water solution the effect is usually 15~20 degree reducion at 200 degrees. Anti-Freeze is not a very good conductor of heat and actually traps heat in the coolant. Water is a better conductor of heat and helps additives like Engine Ice to be more effictive.

Though some need a 50/50 mix it is overkill for most areas. A 30/70 mix will give you freeze protection down to Zero degrees. Most people don't need the -34 degree protection provided by a 50/50 mix.

Seems like our Spyders are much more likely to get too hot than to get too cold.

aka1004
08-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Today was the full day of ryde after the exhaust pipes were unwrapped ( had wrapped end to end) and ryde were between 70-114 degrees(from los Angeles to corona to San Diego to palm springs.

I did get little more heat on my legs and plastics did get noticeably hotter BUT coolant temp was lower by... I would like to call it half a bar:D

it went up 6 bar only one time all day (it's been creeping up to 6 bars costantly in hotter weather) and cycle between 4 and 5 bar were quicker meaning once it went up to 5 bars it was brought down to 4 a bit quicker. It did not make enough difference to bring it down to 4 bars in 114 degree weather thou.

When I get home splash guards are comming off.
The guy who is selling his spyder had his off and claims a 2 bar diffence and I am looking forward to that.:pray:

SPYDERPOPS
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Ron,
I agree with you 100% about wraping the exhaust! The word I was waiting to see was Scavage. As I understand the principle when you wrap your headers it makes the hot gases scavage out much quicker and actually pulls heat away from the engine quicker. This is supposed to help keep the heads cooler and engine temps lower. That's the added performance process.

I would suggest that everyone take the pipes off so that they can be wrapped as close as possible to the heads in order to get the process started sooner. Yes, if you leave too much bare pipe at the heads it could cause overheating in the flange area and could cause gasket problems there. Short cuts shouldn't be taken in this process, get the insulation as close to the flanges as possible and the only way to do this is by removing the headers.

The best way to secure the wrap is to use stainless steel safety wire and safety wire plyers. I have used this method on ATV's for years and not once has any wrap come loose due to vibration or water contact.
HC

SpyderGirl
08-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I was able to start the wrap right at where the exhaust manifold meets the head. I did almost a complete wrap of all of the pipes down to the joint where the muffler slips on. I did notice a significant drop in the heat that was radiating out the right side, so I would have to say what I did was very effective.

As for the coolant, I just put in straight Engine Ice which is a 50/50 mixture. I had considered the 70/30 mixture as I had learned about in school, but opted for the pre-mixed solution.

I am very happy with the changes I have made and am looking forward to further riding to see how well it does over time. Our trip in September will be the ultimate test.

BajaRon
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Today was the full day of ryde after the exhaust pipes were unwrapped ( had wrapped end to end) and ryde were between 70-114 degrees(from los Angeles to corona to San Diego to palm springs.

I did get little more heat on my legs and plastics did get noticeably hotter BUT coolant temp was lower by... I would like to call it half a bar:D

it went up 6 bar only one time all day (it's been creeping up to 6 bars costantly in hotter weather) and cycle between 4 and 5 bar were quicker meaning once it went up to 5 bars it was brought down to 4 a bit quicker. It did not make enough difference to bring it down to 4 bars in 114 degree weather thou.

When I get home splash guards are comming off.
The guy who is selling his spyder and had his off claims a 2 bar diffence and I am looking forward to that.:pray:

I am glad your coolant temp went down but having your exhaust pipe wrapped or not isn't going to make much difference either way on your coolant temperature. The exhaust wrap has virtually nothing to do with engine coolant temps one way or the other.

Theoretically, because of better scavenging of the exhaust, engine temps should go down with the exhaust wrapped. But it is going to be so small a reduction in engine temp that I don't think we will see it on our bar graph temp gauge. I only say this because there is no way wrapping the exhaust is going to make your engine run hotter. It is just physically impossible.

Hot gasses travel faster than cooler ones (just a law of physics) so your exhaust exits more quickly when it is hot than when it is cold.

The hotter engine compartment and plastic covers is the only difference you will experience from removing the exhaust wrap because that's the only noticeable improvement you'll get from the wrap to start with.

SpyderGirl
08-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I was curious as to if wrapping the exhaust pipes will decrease the fuel economy? I think I am getting worse gas mileage now, it's hard to tell but we ran out of gas on the way to work yesterday. I basically got 60 miles out of 2.5 gallons of gas... I was getting more than that before... about 32 - 35 MPG.

Also, I had planned to install the O2 modifier and was wondering if this was going to just make things even worse??

Thanks.

chascarpenter1
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I haven't noticed any reduction in mileage. But do put on the O2 modifier if you are using an after market exhaust. If not then really it not necessary.

Firefly
08-08-2009, 05:08 PM

If the leak is at the joint - like many of us have noticed - Lamont has a thread out here about how to notch the pipes to get them to seal properly. I have not done it yet--- but am planning on it.

The Honda gaskets are for further up on the pipes.

BajaRon
08-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I was curious as to if wrapping the exhaust pipes will decrease the fuel economy? I think I am getting worse gas mileage now, it's hard to tell but we ran out of gas on the way to work yesterday. I basically got 60 miles out of 2.5 gallons of gas... I was getting more than that before... about 32 - 35 MPG.

Also, I had planned to install the O2 modifier and was wondering if this was going to just make things even worse??

Thanks.

Wrapping the exhaust cannot reduce fuel mileage. It should, theoretically, increase fuel mileage as it allows the exhaust system to opperate more efficently. I think this effect will be slight on the Spyder and I don't expect anyone will get any appreciable fuel mileage increas.

But you certainly will not get a decrease in mileage from just wrapping the pipe.

As for the O2 sensor replacement, I'm not convinced this is a great idea. But many like it so that is a choice each will have to make.

SpyderGirl
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Wrapping the exhaust cannot reduce fuel mileage. It should, theoretically, increase fuel mileage as it allows the exhaust system to opperate more efficently. I think this effect will be slight on the Spyder and I don't expect anyone will get any appreciable fuel mileage increas.

But you certainly will not get a decrease in mileage from just wrapping the pipe.

As for the O2 sensor replacement, I'm not convinced this is a great idea. But many like it so that is a choice each will have to make.

Thanks. I did a little more riding and testing over the weekend and the fuel economy did not go down, if anything it may have improved slightly. I am going to give the 02 modifier a shot, it's not costing me anything to see if I like it. I do worry that my NOx emissions will go up by running so lean that when and if they start smogging bikes here I might be in trouble.

SpyderGirl
08-10-2009, 11:16 AM
If the leak is at the joint - like many of us have noticed - Lamont has a thread out here about how to notch the pipes to get them to seal properly. I have not done it yet--- but am planning on it.

The Honda gaskets are for further up on the pipes.

I just dropped it off for service over the weekend and told them about the exhaust leak. Let's hope they fix it.

Questions
09-20-2009, 09:59 PM

the bike will actualy make more power by containing the heat in the headers

Campverdefela
09-24-2009, 09:21 AM
I just installed the Hindle exhaust and no wrap, have noticed how much cooler the muffler and pipe are running than the stock setup....just a thought.