PDA

View Full Version : Spyder & Accessory Evaluation on 5,000 Mile Trip

SpyderRyder810
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
RLS and I just returned from our month long motorcycle trip out west(aprox. 5,000 miles). So I'd like comment on the following: Spyder components (temperature gauge, evaporator cannister vent line, fuel line quick disconnect); Evo III Slide Windshield; Motorcycle Cruise Control (Australia); Kewlmetal handlebars; Corbin saddlebags & trunkbox; Triple Play lights & gas mileage. Temperature gauge: After reading the posts regarding Spyder fires and engine heat, we removed the 2 splash panels when my gauge got to 5 bars. The only noticable difference was a reduction of heat on my left leg. Evaporator Cannister Vent Line: As was posted previously, the evaporator cannister vent line comes off the top at 180 degrees and vents in the vacinity of the exhaust pipe. During very hot days, I too smelled gasoline. RLS plans to re-route it towards the front of the cannister as well as lengthen it. Fuel Line Quick Disconnect: After reading of additional Spyder fires, we called our service manager. He checked his BRP website, but no information had come across. He then suggested we check the fuel line quick disconnect to see if it was fully reconnected. It was. He said that during the valve check its important for this quick disconnect to be reinstalled fully. Evo III Slide Windshield: Overall this windshield is great. Motorcycle Cruise Control: While this unit from Australia is expensive, I couldn't have made this month long trip without it. I had no problem maintaining speed whether on the interstate or on secondary roads. This unit is fantastic!:2thumbs: Kewlmetal handlebars: Many of you already know that I'm a small person and that the original handlebars didn't give me enough rise & set back. The Kewlmetal 9" rise handlebars worked great. The ony adjustment we made to them was to decrease the width tip to tip. Originally they were 31" and we re-bent them decreasing it to 27.5" tip to tip. For all the women out there...you can indeed modify the bike to fit your needs. Corbin Saddlebags & Trunkbox: When I learned that the turn signal lights had to be moved no matter what saddlebag unit I installed, I chose Corbin for their looks. One positive I noticed immediately is that the added weight lowered the bike's center of gravity. Backpacking "compression bags" which held all my gear fit nicely into the saddlebags and was easily removed when stopping for the night. One negative I noticed is that the saddlebags create a bigger "sail" in the wind...but I got used to it quickly. The trunkbox can hold one 3/4 helmet or two helf helmets. Triple Play Lights: Even though (according to MSF) only 3% of motorcycle accidents occur from the rear, I sure feel safer knowing that I'm more visable from behind. The jury's still out yet on whether or not the blinking mode is better. The good news is that I get to choose which mode to set. Gas Mileage: Fully loaded...and believe me the bike was fully loaded...the Spyder averaged between 35-39 mpg. Whether riding 75 mph on the highway or 25 mph doing switchbacks in the mountains the bike performed well. Overall, I'm one happy SpyderRyder...Joan http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Some Guy
07-28-2009, 10:53 AM
NICE! :thumbup:

Bersquack
07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice review!

Lamonster
07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
:thumbup:

fastfraser
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
:thumbup: Great review. Some day we will do a month long trip on the :spyder2:

DannyS
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback.:clap::2thumbs:

FANG
07-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Great review thanks for the great info :thumbup:

Capt John
07-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Wow! 35-39 MPG and fully loaded. The most I've ever gotten is 34 and I drove it very conservatively. Great review.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Zerocool
07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
I've found I get better gas mileage running 2-up... by better I mean 35 mpg vs 30 mpg.

Wonder if the added weight is the reason :dontknow:

ataDude
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I've found I get better gas mileage running 2-up... by better I mean 35 mpg vs 30 mpg.

Wonder if the added weight is the reason :dontknow:

I'll bet it's those kidney punches you get when you go fast.

dltang
07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Great review and write up Joan. I would love to have the cruise control. My Throttlemeister is a great help but for the long haul, a true cruise control would have been great. I am glad you guys had such a good time. Looks like we will see you in the morning, even if it is ever so brief.

SpyderRyder810
07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Ooops, I forgot to mention that in 5,000 miles the Spyder's oil consumption was only 1/2 quart. That's pretty darn good if you ask me. Also, we used the Scala Rider MultiSet 02 bike to bike communication system. What a GREAT communication device! :yes: It had great clarity, was user friiendly, and the battery charge lasted all day so we only needed to recharge at night.