PDA

View Full Version : 1330cc Am I getting the Right Infor from Dealer 2015 Spyder F3 SE6

jimgremjr
02-03-2020, 12:50 AM
My check Transmission light came on LED. Took to Dealer 3 months ago, when I got there it was not shifting out of REVERSE. So they new that and Transmission LED read out.

1) Called mre said I had a RATS nest but no sign of chewed damage, So they told me it was my TCM. $400 labor. DID NOT fix problem. THEN they said it was my HCM, so another $700 in labor and that would fix everything. Total at $1,200. Now after all that they call back after replacing TCM & HCM, and they still can't get it out of reverse, so NOW it must be a Mechanical Problem in the Cluth or Gear. They want another $600 just to start removing the Transmission.

AM I GETTING HOSED BY THIS DEALER

Bfromla
02-03-2020, 02:18 AM
Ouch sure sounds like hosing, suggest getting BRP cares involved, at least ask your other dealers close by. Also pleas provide us with some helpful details model, mileage, services all up to date:thumbup:

jimgremjr
02-03-2020, 08:27 AM
2015 Can Am Spyder F3-S SE6 I purchased used in 2017 only 5,000 miles, had 7,000 last Sep 2019 when the check transmission LED came on.

jimgremjr
02-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Also, CAN AM as been great during this Ordeal, they actually gave the dealer the TCM part & the HCM part to me for FREE. Howver, why did it take the service team to diagnose those problems and not even think mechanical in the first place. now I need a new Transmission or Clutch or Gearbox.

How could stuck in REVERSE have been ALL 3 problems

PMK
02-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Since you should be able to manual shift the gearbox by hand without the Spyder even running. Granted I am not working on this machine, but the first thing I would have checked was that by shifting through all the gears with engine off, that would validate the gearbox mechanically should be ok before any other work was done.

In my opinion though, my second item to check, and again I am not there working on it, would to remove and inspect, the gearbox position indicator switch. Those are known trouble items, and if not working correctly, confuses the computers.

As for money spent, I would insist that all original parts are returned to you.

BTW, the gearbox in these machines is very tough and durable. About the only issue posted about has been the shift drum cam followup detent roller failing. It might be possible some debris has jammed the shift drum from rotating, but, that would have been discovered in my first suggestion to manually check the shifting with the engine shut down.

Rattlebars
02-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Since you should be able to manual shift the gearbox by hand without the Spyder even running. Granted I am not working on this machine, but the first thing I would have checked was that by shifting through all the gears with engine off, that would validate the gearbox mechanically should be ok before any other work was done.

In my opinion though, my second item to check, and again I am not there working on it, would to remove and inspect, the gearbox position indicator switch. Those are known trouble items, and if not working correctly, confuses the computers.

As for money spent, I would insist that all original parts are returned to you.

BTW, the gearbox in these machines is very tough and durable. About the only issue posted about has been the shift drum cam followup detent roller failing. It might be possible some debris has jammed the shift drum from rotating, but, that would have been discovered in my first suggestion to manually check the shifting with the engine shut down.

2015 Spyder F3 SE6

RICZ
02-03-2020, 02:25 PM
One of my greatest dislikes are techs who go on a fishing expedition, tossing parts at a problem and hoping that will be the cure. And when it isn't the cure, they throw more parts in without replacing the previous ones with the originals, which were OK so they can charge the customer for all the parts that didn't solve the problem.

JKMSPYDER
02-03-2020, 07:52 PM
It could be as simple as a failed reverse lockout switch. I have had mine replaced twice after it wouldn’t shift out of reverse.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2020, 08:31 PM
my check transmission light came on led. Took to dealer 3 months ago, when i got there it was not shifting out of reverse. So they new that and transmission led read out.

1) called mre said i had a rats nest but no sign of chewed damage, so they told me it was my tcm. $400 labor. Did not fix problem. Then they said it was my hcm, so another $700 in labor and that would fix everything. Total at $1,200. Now after all that they call back after replacing tcm & hcm, and they still can't get it out of reverse, so now it must be a mechanical problem in the cluth or gear. They want another $600 just to start removing the transmission.

Am i getting hosed by this dealer

" yes "

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2020, 08:35 PM
Also, CAN AM as been great during this Ordeal, they actually gave the dealer the TCM part & the HCM part to me for FREE. Howver, why did it take the service team to diagnose those problems and not even think mechanical in the first place. now I need a new Transmission or Clutch or Gearbox.

How could stuck in REVERSE have been ALL 3 problems

BRP doesn't operate this way ….. I would demand my money back, they are guessing - not producing … and go to another dealer ….. good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

cueman
02-03-2020, 11:48 PM
:agree: IMO, if this is how things went down. For some reason I’m not shocked :yikes: cueman

blacklightning
02-04-2020, 09:28 AM
I had an issue with my 2012 RSS transmission. After doing a fluid change, they diagnosed what they thought the issue was. Before doing the work, I told them that it their changes did not fix the issue, they were not getting paid for it. I was only paying for results, not them to experiment on my bike. Fortunately for both of us, they were able to fix the bike and we both were happy. I refuse to pay for their tech's incompetence.

PMK
02-04-2020, 10:02 PM
2015 Spyder F3 SE6

If you knew much about an SE6 gearbox, or had ever worked on a Spyder, or even had gotten down to a point where you can see the Spyders underside, it is obvious the gearbox shift shaft protrudes from the cases. Even the SE6 shift shaft protrudes, but has no shift lever on the splines.

I took a photo of our SE6 for you.

Rattlebars
02-05-2020, 08:03 PM
If you knew much about an SE6 gearbox, or had ever worked on a Spyder, or even had gotten down to a point where you can see the Spyders underside, it is obvious the gearbox shift shaft protrudes from the cases. Even the SE6 shift shaft protrudes, but has no shift lever on the splines.

I took a photo of our SE6 for you.

So can you shift it without it running and no clutch? In all my years with a bikes (60), shifting without moving and especially without running is difficult if not impossible. However, I will qualify that with the fact that the Spyder is, in many peoples definition, not a bike. Has it no dogs? Is it linear? Educate me. Apparently I am uninformed.

PMK
02-05-2020, 08:41 PM
So can you shift it without it running and no clutch? In all my years with a bikes (60), shifting without moving and especially without running is difficult if not impossible. However, I will qualify that with the fact that the Spyder is, in many peoples definition, not a bike. Has it no dogs? Is it linear? Educate me. Apparently I am uninformed.

Jack rear wheel, spin wheel by hand and shift gears. Engine not running and no clutch needed, you can find the gears by rocking the rear wheel. The gearbox in a Spyder is very typical of most motorcycles. I suggest you take a look at the available parts catalogs and you can decide for yourself if the Spyders gearbox mimics what you know. To me, the Spyder gearbox is typical of most Japanese machines, and many European machines excluding shift plate bikes like a CZ or Maico.

Rattlebars
02-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Jack rear wheel, spin wheel by hand and shift gears. Engine not running and no clutch needed, you can find the gears by rocking the rear wheel. The gearbox in a Spyder is very typical of most motorcycles. I suggest you take a look at the available parts catalogs and you can decide for yourself if the Spyders gearbox mimics what you know. To me, the Spyder gearbox is typical of most Japanese machines, and many European machines excluding shift plate bikes like a CZ or Maico.

Like pulling teeth... figuratively and oddly transmission related. I'm reminded of a fellow who installed a Pingle shifter on his GL1800 and proceeded to destroy his transmission by testing it with the bike "off" and running it through the gears with no motion, which is what your post seemed to have suggested. Full information in a post would be advised to prevent folks from bending their shift forks. I have said enough. PMK has been added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CybLSrN5Q