PDA

View Full Version : Help Installing New Motobatt Battery

FalconAF
02-01-2020, 11:51 AM
In my 2018 RTL

The OEM battery has an indented lip on the top of it and the top battery holddown plate has two downward pointed lips that hang down into. The lips fit fine into the indented OEM battery. The Motobatt is level all the way across the top of the battery with no place for these "lips" to hang down into. So the holddown won't go "flush horizontal" on the top of the new motobatt.

What to do?

Thanks for any insight.

Rick

FalconAF
02-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Hey, never mind. We just put the overhead holddown in a vise and bent the 2 "lip" tabs so they were horizontal. The holddown then went flush with the battery top and everything clamped down fine.

Revalden
02-01-2020, 11:05 PM
There are two slots in the frame above and to the rear of the battery compartment that those lips slip into. You may have had the clamp upside

FalconAF
02-01-2020, 11:58 PM
I'm not that ignorant. Neither is my niece's husband who helped me put it in. The lips you are talking about are on BACK of the clamp. The difference is in the two batteries top construction. The overhead clamp that came with the OEM battery was designed to fit the OEM battery with it's top indented geometry. The Motobatt battery sold as "for all RT models" isn't the same geometry on the top of it. If you buy the Motobatt, you're gonna HAVE to bend the 2 tabs I'm talking about. I can post pictures if you want to see them.

Revalden
02-02-2020, 12:33 AM
I'm not that ignorant. Neither is my niece's husband who helped me put it in. The lips you are talking about are on BACK of the clamp. The difference is in the two batteries top construction. The overhead clamp that came with the OEM battery was designed to fit the OEM battery with it's top indented geometry. The Motobatt battery sold as "for all RT models" isn't the same geometry on the top of it. If you buy the Motobatt, you're gonna HAVE to bend the 2 tabs I'm talking about. I can post pictures if you want to see them.

Ok, my bad. Some peeps here aren't always as mechanically inclined as others. I wouldn't mind seeing the battery you put in for my future reference.

JayBros
02-02-2020, 08:03 AM
It will be interesting to learn how the Motobatt performs via-a-vis a Yuasa. The battery holder is an inexpensive part, $12.50 from CCP, if one had to replace it.

cptjam
02-02-2020, 08:52 AM
Exactly how I have done it, many times. Good job, Rick! Joe

duke50
02-02-2020, 09:05 AM
I would put my money on Yuasa, the best motorcycle battery on the market, IMO. Mines still running strong 6 yrs now, 2014 RT. I'm sure its getting close to its life span though.

STELLING MAN
02-02-2020, 03:31 PM
Battery

STELLING MAN
02-02-2020, 03:35 PM
BATTERY, I'm not putting any Chinese made battery In my RT-S as long as Yusa's are being made..