PDA

View Full Version : Working License/Tail Light

mcguire1511
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I saw this Mod on another thread, and decided to do one too, it's easy, Got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail. I have pics of the set up. I had to cut out the bottom of the new lens to insert the clear lens for the license plate light to shine thru. I used the clear lens from to old relector housing and cut it to size, make sure you over lap so you can super glue the pieces together. I used the existing wires from the license plate light. Had to drill four small holes for the new lens bracket. Everthing went together pretty fast and easy, works great. I used some clear silicon around the edges to keep water out (just added safety)

mcguire1511
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Here are some more pic's of My license plate/working tail light. Also some added pic's of the Spyder. The spyders you see are refective also, they are Balck during the day and when light shine on them the reflect.

ataDude
07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I saw this Mod on another threat, and decided to do one too, it's easy, Got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail. I have pics of the set up. I had to cut out the bottom of the new lens to insert the clear lens for the license plate light to shine thru. I used the clear lens from to old relector housing and cut it to size, make sure you over lap so you can super glue the pieces together. I used the existing wires from the license plate light. Had to drill four small holes for the new lens bracket. Everthing went together pretty fast and easy, works great. I used some clear silicon around the edges to keep water out (just added safety)

Looks good! :clap:

MRFIRE
07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
cool... where did you get your :spyder2: decals.

Capt John
07-26-2009, 09:56 PM
:thumbup: looking good :thumbup:

BumbleBee
07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
pretty cool!!!!

mcguire1511
07-26-2009, 10:53 PM
cool... where did you get your :spyder2: decals.
Hello, I got the refective Spider decals at:www.reflectivedecals.com, and the other decals work was gone at a local sign shop here in town.

mcguire1511
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
That was the first thing I changed when I got my Spyder, it's a tail/brake/license plate. Light is clear cover with red led's and white for plate, also added two more rear led lights.
If you have some pic's, would like to see them

bjt
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Nice job on the rear light. :thumbup:

BumbleBee
07-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Great job!! Looks nice!! :2thumbs:

BRPjunkie
07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Not a fan of Walmart, but they are the only store with the light. It fits perfectly. I did not have to drill any mounting holes in the fender since I drilled two in the mounting plate of the light and used the same holes that mounted the original. I also used a spare piece of clear plastic for the bottom of the lens for the plate illumination so my original light assembly is still intact. It looks like original equipment and adds a nice visual light pattern from the back. This is clearly not a NMN set up, but it does add a little extra light to the rear, which BRP should have done in place of the silly reflector. There is not as much light on the plate with the 5 watt filament hooked up as the stock 10 watt light, but I doubt any police officer would notice. I tried to use the high filament wire, but at 21 watts, it looked too bright next to the 5 watt tailights.

burg650
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Here is my new plate light, it's a running/brake/plate light set-up. It is all led's as you can see it is a clear lens with red led's and there are white one at the bottom for the plate, this photo does not do it justice it is very bright and shows up great.

boatcruzin
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I thought the back of my spyder did not have enough lights in the back so I saw some LED lights on a 15'' strip so I got them and put them on the spyder and here is some pics .It helps to give light on the sides too !

mcguire1511
07-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Looks good, where did you hooked them up too?? Where did you get them from??
I thought the back of my spyder did not have enough lights in the back so I saw some LED lights on a 15'' strip so I got them and put them on the spyder and here is some pics .It helps to give light on the sides too !

mcguire1511
07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Just wandering if you can tell me more about those back side lights, they look good, where did you find them?, and what did you hook them up too??..............Thanks
Here is my new plate light, it's a running/brake/plate light set-up. It is all led's as you can see it is a clear lens with red led's and there are white one at the bottom for the plate, this photo does not do it justice it is very bright and shows up great.

boatcruzin
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I got the lights from WALMART and hooked them to my tail lights . They cost $14.98 EA. Sorry It took me so long to get back but my step son was found in his bed 0n the 20th dead and it's not been good around here , He was only 28 !

bjt
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers sent out to you and your family for comfort and strength in coping with this.

mcguire1511
07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Hello,just wanted to say thanks for the info, and also sorry for your loss.
I got the lights from WALMART and hooked them to my tail lights . They cost $14.98 EA. Sorry It took me so long to get back but my step son was found in his bed 0n the 20th dead and it's not been good around here , He was only 28 !

MarkLawson
07-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers sent out to you and your family for comfort and strength in coping with this.

Us too...

krb1945
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Check this thread... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7746&highlight=rear+reflector

Check page two on this link.

Also I make the brackets for free, if you reimburse me for the LED for the License Plate, I'll include it, and postage I'll send you the LED and bracket. The LED is a 29 milliamp 3 rated at 400 milliwatt and is just right for the license plate. Estimated life span is 50000 hours according to the distributor. And you can get the dual circuit pucks from magic man. He has the Genesis pucks and they are the best I have seen to date and I've been researching the LEDs for GWs and Spyders for a couple years now.

Oh almost forgot the LED cost me 2.99 and I would imagine the postage would be about a dollar. You would have to contact magic man for the price on his LED pucks. If you don't want the LED just cover the postage for mailing the bracket. If you're a disabled VET like me tell me and I'll send you one for nothing if you wish. :thumbup:

BRPjunkie
08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Not a fan of Walmart, but they are the only store with the light. It fits perfectly. I did not have to drill any mounting holes in the fender since I drilled two in the mounting plate of the light and used the same holes that mounted the original. I also used a spare piece of clear plastic for the bottom of the lens for the plate illumination so my original light assembly is still intact. It looks like original equipment and adds a nice visual light pattern from the back. This is clearly not a NMN set up, but it does add a little extra light to the rear, which BRP should have done in place of the silly reflector. There is not as much light on the plate with the 5 watt filament hooked up as the stock 10 watt light, but I doubt any police officer would notice. I tried to use the high filament wire, but at 21 watts, it looked too bright next to the 5 watt tailights.

Went back to the tail light mod and decided to test the theory that nanny doesn't monitor added loads on brake light. Ran a wire from the white brake light wire down to the dual filament tail/brake light and connected it to the 21 watt lead on the bulb. The 5 watt lead was already connected to the license plate wire. The result, a working 5 watt tail/ 21 watt brake light. These are identical to the stock tail/brake watts so it looks good from the back as all are the same intensity. Tested on 10 mile ride with over 50 brake applications to see if nanny would act up. Not a conclusive test ride, but seems to confirm that adding load (at least 21 watts) to the brake light system doesn't upset nanny. Upside might be that with three lights on that circuit, even if two burn out which would normally trigger nanny, the remaining load should fool it until I can get some place safe to change out bulbs. Since the tail/brake/license circuit is a 10 amp fuse, the 16 watts of load should not overload the circuit (original license bulb was 10 watts, so 5/21 dual nets to 16). Clearly this is not Magic Man LEDs with their visibility, quality and durability, but it does add some needed light to the rear for $5.95 and a couple hours labor.

BRPjunkie
09-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Went back to the tail light mod and decided to test the theory that nanny doesn't monitor added loads on brake light. Ran a wire from the white brake light wire down to the dual filament tail/brake light and connected it to the 21 watt lead on the bulb. The 5 watt lead was already connected to the license plate wire. The result, a working 5 watt tail/ 21 watt brake light. These are identical to the stock tail/brake watts so it looks good from the back as all are the same intensity. Tested on 10 mile ride with over 50 brake applications to see if nanny would act up. Not a conclusive test ride, but seems to confirm that adding load (at least 21 watts) to the brake light system doesn't upset nanny. Upside might be that with three lights on that circuit, even if two burn out which would normally trigger nanny, the remaining load should fool it until I can get some place safe to change out bulbs. Since the tail/brake/license circuit is a 10 amp fuse, the 16 watts of load should not overload the circuit (original license bulb was 10 watts, so 5/21 dual nets to 16). Clearly this is not Magic Man LEDs with their visibility, quality and durability, but it does add some needed light to the rear for $5.95 and a couple hours labor.

Found the card with the tail light mod photos, so I figure I'll post them. 1st shot is with 5 watt running lights and 2nd is with 21 watt brake lights. Cheap way to add some rear visibility and it looks clean.
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o440/mjshore/brakelite001.jpg?t=1253322339
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o440/mjshore/brakelite002.jpg?t=1253322429

Don Stombaugh
03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I saw this Mod on another thread, and decided to do one too, it's easy, Got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail. I have pics of the set up. I had to cut out the bottom of the new lens to insert the clear lens for the license plate light to shine thru. I used the clear lens from to old relector housing and cut it to size, make sure you over lap so you can super glue the pieces together. I used the existing wires from the license plate light. Had to drill four small holes for the new lens bracket. Everthing went together pretty fast and easy, works great. I used some clear silicon around the edges to keep water out (just added safety)

I did this MOD over the week end and it's easy. I too got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail and it looks just like your pictures.

Thank you for sharing, I love having three lights in the back of the :spyder2:.

Don

Don Stombaugh
06-13-2010, 10:59 PM
I did this MOD over the week end and it's easy. I too got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail and it looks just like your pictures.

Thank you for sharing, I love having three lights in the back of the :spyder2:.

Don

Has anyone else tried this mod? I love having three lights in the back.

Don

Campverdefela
06-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Has anyone else tried this mod? I love having three lights in the back.
Don
I did this mod right away when this was first posted and I believe many of us have done this or a similar mod. Its an easy and cheap one to do.

Sarge707
06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I did this mod right away when this was first posted and I believe many of us have done this or a similar mod. Its an easy and cheap one to do.
This is a great mod for the many newcomers, I did the Walmart light and attached the Spyder power wire to the brake light wire so I have a 21 watt light over the license at all times. The 2 Brake lights and the ESI center light above equal out the bottom.:D

Questions
11-13-2010, 06:17 AM
...and you have used the deadly Australian Redback Spider!! Nice one. those little buggers are everywhere here!!
:spyder2:

thecoast
03-06-2014, 01:50 AM
You put this up a long time ago, but thanks. I think this will work. Is it OK if I contact you for help, given that I'm just slightly more manually agile than a slug? Wait. They have no hands. Wait. That was the point. :D Anyway, thanks.

zhugzug
05-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Check this thread... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7746&highlight=rear+reflector

Check page two on this link.

Also I make the brackets for free, if you reimburse me for the LED for the License Plate, I'll include it, and postage I'll send you the LED and bracket. The LED is a 29 milliamp 3 rated at 400 milliwatt and is just right for the license plate. Estimated life span is 50000 hours according to the distributor. And you can get the dual circuit pucks from magic man. He has the Genesis pucks and they are the best I have seen to date and I've been researching the LEDs for GWs and Spyders for a couple years now.

Oh almost forgot the LED cost me 2.99 and I would imagine the postage would be about a dollar. You would have to contact magic man for the price on his LED pucks. If you don't want the LED just cover the postage for mailing the bracket. If you're a disabled VET like me tell me and I'll send you one for nothing if you wish. :thumbup:

So I lost the 2nd factory cover for my SE 5 2011 RS. Frustrating, they look cheaply made. I wanna replace it but I'm worried about messing with wiring. Any advice? I am a Vet! But not disabled =P