PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee motorcycle license

BoilerAnimal
01-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Can anyone give any insight on Tennessee motorcycle license requirements? The way I read it, you get one class of license for a bike over 150cc's, regardless of two or three wheels. Is that correct? My Illinois class D-M license allows me to drive a car as well as ANY motorcycle, two or three wheels. I think a class L let's you ride a three wheeler only in Illinois. Is there a separate class in Tennessee for two wheels verses three wheels only? Any info will be appreciated!

JayBros
01-28-2020, 07:09 AM
https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/classm.html

Gwolf
01-28-2020, 07:52 AM
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-licenses/

ARtraveler
01-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Laws will vary from state to state. Best to talk with the actual DMV of the state you are going with.

EG: When we lived in AK, they issue a MC endorsement based on what you tested on. I came to AK from WI. Had a MC endorsement for all two wheelers, regardless of CC. AK accepted that and I was good to go. Linda, who had a regular AK driver license had to do a written test for MC. She road tested on the Spyder and got a three wheel endorsement.

When we moved to AR last summer, they accepted our AK licenses without any further testing. They do not have three wheel endorsements here, so we both have MC endorsements for anything motorcycle.

BoilerAnimal
01-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Basically, what I want to know is if I take a test on my Spyder, will I get an endorsement for three wheelers only, or is it for all motorcycles. I guess it doesn't really matter, as I don't have anything other than our Spyder. Thanks for the replies.

JayBros
01-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Look at the New Residents section in the link I posted and give them a call to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

YPILOT
01-28-2020, 11:29 PM
Can anyone give any insight on Tennessee motorcycle license requirements? The way I read it, you get one class of license for a bike over 150cc's, regardless of two or three wheels. Is that correct? My Illinois class D-M license allows me to drive a car as well as ANY motorcycle, two or three wheels. I think a class L let's you ride a three wheeler only in Illinois. Is there a separate class in Tennessee for two wheels verses three wheels only? Any info will be appreciated!

Hey, I have class DM which allows me to drive cars, trucks, motorcycles and tricycles as my dear late mother used to call my Spyder.
So I think your good to go. Dennis