PDA

View Full Version : Hydroplaning

WaltH
07-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I had my first experience with hydroplaning on the Spyder, yesterday, while returning from a 15 day road trip. There was a 5 mile stretch of severe rain which did not drain from the road surface in the normal way. I was traveling at about 45 to 50 mph at the time. Suddenly, I was going forward and sideways at the same time. I closed the throttle and the problem corrected. Perhaps, it was just that the condition of the road changed. It was a little frightening since I was headed for the adjacent lane. It would have been a lot more frightening if it had lasted longer. Thankfully, it was brief. I am still running the stock tires on all wheels (13,000 miles).

Roaddog2
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Had a little of this happen on rte 202 New Milford CT last year off throttle corrected fast lucky a few more hundred yards cars were on guardrails and everything .HDX and Smylinacha were also on this outing but this was like a Tornadic event and a couple inches in less than a hour.

Smylinacha
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that - I wasn't riding that day though - I lucked out and was on the back with HDX. And Steve couldn't see that day - his glasses kept fogging up.

bjt
07-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Thankfully, I haven't had my Spyder hydroplane on me yet and I have ridden in some fairly heavy rains. I think that everyone riding a Spyder in the rain should be aware that this can happen. Different tread designs can make hydroplaning more or less likely to occur but the fact that we are on a relatively lightweight vehicle with a large contact patch (three car tires to the road surface) can make Spyders more susceptible to hydroplaning than we might think, VSS or not.

wolfshead1
07-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Spyders ride in the middle of the lane,it is the greasiest part of the road,maybe you struck oil?

mc2276
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I have hydroplaned once and also went sideways while going forward. I was going about 55mph on the interstate. It was raining and there was water running across the street (all four lanes!). I just let off the throttle and it corrected after I got out of the water. Not sure what was scarier, the hydroplaning or realizing that the 18 wheeler behind me was getting way to close way to fast and there was nothing I could do. But that truck driver was great. I slowed down to about 40 and he stayed behind me the whole way and blocked traffic.

effgjamis
07-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Spyders ride in the middle of the lane,it is the greasiest part of the road,maybe you struck oil?

Black Ice can get anyone one in trouble if going to fast or cornering.. Got me a couple of times here in Fl.

Firefly
07-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Just remember - if you were on 2 wheels you would have put her down.:thumbup:

j45p3r
07-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Black Ice can get anyone one in trouble if going to fast or cornering.. Got me a couple of times here in Fl.

Guess there is a different definition of black ice in FL ;)

Spyder007
07-26-2009, 04:27 PM
In Oregon we have ruts due to people using studded snow tires. They wear the road terribly and when it rains even a little water collects in those ruts. Found that the spyder does not like that and my back end tried to pass my front end. Had to slow way down:yikes:

jwhatman
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
yeah, it's called sand. My road is being ripped up so now we only have sand to drive on. Taking the bikes out is a challenge. Hubby does a great job on his bikes with no problems. A little slipping and sliding, but not too bad. The spyder's nanny complains, but oh well.
Joyce

Some Guy
07-26-2009, 10:10 PM
my back end tried to pass my front end. :yikes:

WOW! That's how my mouth gets my a$$ in trouble!!! :roflblack:

Firefly
07-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Just before my Spyder needs a good cleaning I like to go find some dirt roads and do some fishtales---- feather the clutch and you can really get the Spyder to swerve!

bone crusher
07-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Just before my Spyder needs a good cleaning I like to go find some dirt roads and do some fishtales---- feather the clutch and you can really get the Spyder to swerve!

Interesting point....when I bought my Spyder, the dealership made me ride it on a gravel lot...this helped me not only get the feel of the bike but also the feel of the bike losing some of its control...it was a neat experience...

BajaRon
07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I have hydroplaned all 3 wheels 1 time. It was raining pretty hard in a curve and I was behind Lamont.

I think the extra tongue weight of his trailer plus he weighs a bit more than I do made the difference because he had no problem at the same speed.

I let off on the throttle and got traction after drifting some. It was not all that scary as everything stayed pretty copasetic. But I did drift into the oncoming lane. No traffic so that was not a problem. If there had been traffic I would have entered the curve slower.

On the freeway I have "Checked" my traction by rolling on the throttle. If the rear does not break loose I know I'm ok. If it does break lose I know I'm near the edge of my traction limits.

As mentioned above, big footprint, light weight makes for a hydroplane tendency. Running the rear tire in the oil slick center of the lane is not a plus either.

I'm hoping the new Toyo tire I got helps me a bit in this area.

b2k
07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm hoping the new Toyo tire I got helps me a bit in this area.

by the way how is lamont liking your new toyo tire:ohyea::roflblack:

BajaRon
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
by the way how is lamont liking your new toyo tire:ohyea::roflblack:

Ah! Now! Don't get me started! I was having a good day too!

I think he has my tire mounted but he can't ride it yet....Bearing/hub issue keeping him grounded.

Hmmm, I better go check my parts bike and see if I'm missing a hub!

Gotta go now!

ARtraveler
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Both spouse and I as well as some other Spyder Ryders have experienced hydroplaning in Alaska. Alaska allows motorists to drive with studded snow tires between September and May of each year. As a result, most of the roads have tire channels on them. When it rains, they fill with water. Most Spyder ryders try to avoid riding the channels by putting one wheel either to the right or left of the channel. The opposite tire and the rear tire then miss the channels all together. We call it riding the hump. The other problem you may encounter is areas where there are frost heaves--these leave nice puddles of water that usually cant be avoided. This is where we have run into hydroplaning problems. The first time this happened, the Spyder started to skid across the road, I backed off the throttle and the vehicle stability system kicked in as well. Needless to say, it got our attention real quick. We are not speed demons--usually drive posted speeds or less. The rubber was good on both bikes. We now drive very aware that hydroplaning can be a real issue. We slow down to 50 or less when we encounter these types of areas. Happy to say that we have not needed the VSS since that first time. I wrote BRP but they just sent me a general answer back. I suggested a different tread on the tires.

bone crusher
02-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Both spouse and I as well as some other Spyder Ryders have experienced hydroplaning in Alaska. Alaska allows motorists to drive with studded snow tires between September and May of each year. As a result, most of the roads have tire channels on them. When it rains, they fill with water. Most Spyder ryders try to avoid riding the channels by putting one wheel either to the right or left of the channel. The opposite tire and the rear tire then miss the channels all together. We call it riding the hump. The other problem you may encounter is areas where there are frost heaves--these leave nice puddles of water that usually cant be avoided. This is where we have run into hydroplaning problems. The first time this happened, the Spyder started to skid across the road, I backed off the throttle and the vehicle stability system kicked in as well. Needless to say, it got our attention real quick. We are not speed demons--usually drive posted speeds or less. The rubber was good on both bikes. We now drive very aware that hydroplaning can be a real issue. We slow down to 50 or less when we encounter these types of areas. Happy to say that we have not needed the VSS since that first time. I wrote BRP but they just sent me a general answer back. I suggested a different tread on the tires.

The tread cuts water nicely...however, you'd need sticky rubber (like blizzaks) more than a specific tread pattern, for ice traction...and even then, it may not matter. It's not worth it for BRP to offer an option as most miles on a Spyder will be done on dry or maybe wet pavement...icy conditions are not too common nor recommended for a Spyder. However, if you can find blizzaks that fit your Spyder, this would be the best way to go!

altonk
02-26-2010, 10:59 PM
With the 225/55 r 15s on the front of my spder now i'm having to be on my best behavior in the wet. I had a few hydroplanes but the spyder is pretty predictable. it helps to get familiar with the limits so a hydro plane doesn't sneak up on you

Firefly
02-27-2010, 12:35 AM
The tread cuts water nicely...however, you'd need sticky rubber (like blizzaks) more than a specific tread pattern, for ice traction...and even then, it may not matter. It's not worth it for BRP to offer an option as most miles on a Spyder will be done on dry or maybe wet pavement...icy conditions are not too common nor recommended for a Spyder. However, if you can find blizzaks that fit your Spyder, this would be the best way to go!

Blizzaks on a Spyder..... now that would be interesting!;)

altonk
02-27-2010, 12:43 AM
My experience on the snow Nanny lights up and says sorry dude you are on your own :ohyea:

bone crusher
02-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Blizzaks on a Spyder..... now that would be interesting!;)

That would be the best way to get good snowy/icy weather traction...

As far as tire width goes, the narrower, the better, for harsh weather conditions...

Motza
02-27-2010, 05:46 PM
TRY THE SEADOO:roflblack:

I used to go by the name of WATER SPYDER