PDA

View Full Version : About Harley Dealers...

Bersquack
07-24-2009, 08:16 PM
OK, I won't lie. After putting almost 5K miles on my spyder in 4 months, I kinda figured out that I really like riding and started thinking about adding a two-wheeler in my garage.

So, I always wanted a Harley and living in Milwaukee really puts it in your face. I've been to a couple Harley dealerships and it almost sounds like you cannot get a deal at all. I have not tried to bargain a lot, but I really feel like they think: "Here's the price if you don't like it go buy a Honda".

Any of you been able to get good deals from a Harley dealer? Or is it just the way it is?

Thanks.

Jeaux
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not into Harleys, so I don't keep up with 'em...........

.........but have you been down to Uke's in Kenosha ???? They also sell Spyders, and they seem like pretty nice folks...............

zzneonzz
07-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Interesting. I have never owned a Harley but there are a 3-4 Harley dealers here most owned by the same person. They seem to deal quite often on them from what I hear from friends who own them. They will get discounts plus free accessories in some cases.

Bersquack
07-25-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm not into Harleys, so I don't keep up with 'em...........

.........but have you been down to Uke's in Kenosha ???? They also sell Spyders, and they seem like pretty nice folks...............

I have been at Uke's quite a few as this is where I got my spyder.

2spyders
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
We've paid less than retail for all of our Harley's over the years, but it does take some work. Or we buy the leftover from the previous year after the new ones come out.

Magic Man
07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
First I own currently 5 HDs so this is not being said as just another metric rider bashing HD dealerships. HD business makes up 80% or our sales so we all too well are vary used to hearing other people say just what you have said.

In traveling to all the different rallies we see many dealerships, and hear stories from many different customers regarding their buying of their bikes. Most times we set up at the HD dealership like Black Hills HD fr the up-coming Sturgis rally so most of the people are HD customers.

Some dealers like our local one gives discounts as the market demands (like now with the slower sales), no different than any other dealer would regardless of brand. However, some still will not, or even worse continue to try charge above MSRP!

Then there are some that sell at MSRP, but load the bike up with add ons that they won't remove, so the ad-ons and labor really jump up the price too.

It really seems to have no set "who, where or why" from what we have seen. Although, almost all the dealerships during the rally weeks get top dollar for sure.

Also, many dealers have really high posted prices on the new units so they can allow the "too high price" most HD owners want for their trade in as well.

That way with the starting price of the new bike higher it allows them to "show" what seems like more money for the trade in. This false extra allowance makes the guy feel better abiout his trade even though in the end it all works out the same.

MM

Bersquack
07-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Thaks for the input guys.

You have to wonder why they dont' change the way they do business in this economy. This is exactly why I may not get a Harley.

I have to go down there today. I'll try to talk to their sales guy.

Jeff in Dallas
07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I did not pay MSRP for either Harley (and both were new model years, one an Anniversary edition). Just takes either the right dealer or a little patience.

I loved both of the Harleys I owned and the dealerships were excellent. Wish I could say the same for the Spyder shop... :dontknow:

Lucky
07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Since you are in Milwaukee, you may want to visit, or at least call, Capital City HD in Madison. Ask for Kerry. They move a lot of bikes and do deal. They had a promo recently where they would sell used for whatever they had in it. I have bought 2 Ultras there and the last one (2008), they gave me a pretty nice deal on the new price and my old trade. Figure on most HDs, dealer cost is about 80% of MSRP and take it from there. Capital doesn't load on much if anything on floor models and will order what ever you want. I have 2 other dealers closer to me but continue to go to Capital. And no, I have no vested interest. They always have 20% off accessories also.