PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for Spyder

bmccaffrey
01-13-2020, 07:58 PM
Ok people. Have a little issue.
Me and my wife would like to take the spyder with us on some trips. Problem being when we bought the Jeep last year i should have gotten the tow package which is not on add on. The Jeep can only do 2000lbs. Would like to go enclosed but probably would have to go to clam shell. Little tires make me nervous with hear issues.
Any suggestions. Know i can go utility but not much protection for front of spyder.

TIA

RICZ
01-13-2020, 08:07 PM
Check out this company's trailers...........
http://ironhorsetrailers.com/

MNF3
01-13-2020, 09:06 PM
Aluma mc210. Not enclosed, but good rock guard and big tires! Tows like a dream behind the Ridgeline.

Boilermaker
01-13-2020, 09:24 PM
I have an Aluma UT-10 for sale. Has rock guard in front and tool box too. 15" tires (brand new) and Spyder Clamps already installed. Perfect setup for any Spyder. Trailer only weighs 700 lbs. Check additional specs on the Aluma website. Asking $2500.

Revalden
01-14-2020, 03:25 AM
I have an Aluma UT-10 for sale. Has rock guard in front and tool box too. 15" tires (brand new) and Spyder Clamps already installed. Perfect setup for any Spyder. Trailer only weighs 700 lbs. Check additional specs on the Aluma website. Asking $2500.

If I didn't already have an enclosed trailer for my Spyder I'd be all over your trailer at that price. :banghead:

Wahrsuul
01-14-2020, 06:55 AM
If it wasn't so far away, I would too.

Got to watch the tow ratings - you won't like towing at max capacity. You don't say what model Spyder you have, but most of them are fairly heavy, and when adding 700 lbs+ of trailer you're looking at pushing the limits of your vehicle. That doesn't include anything else you'll put on the trailer for convenience, and you need to watch the tongue weight as that'll add on to the cargo limits of the Jeep.

Utility trailers tend to be cheaper and if you get a small one they can be lighter. If you're concerned about protection, maybe a towing cover?

Jdr00ejr
01-14-2020, 11:31 AM
What Jeep do you have? Is the reduced tow limit because it doesn't have the factory tow package? You can usually determine what the extras were and add them if you are so inclined.

ChapMikeM25
01-14-2020, 12:27 PM
Ok people. Have a little issue.
Me and my wife would like to take the spyder with us on some trips. Problem being when we bought the Jeep last year i should have gotten the tow package which is not on add on. The Jeep can only do 2000lbs. Would like to go enclosed but probably would have to go to clam shell. Little tires make me nervous with hear issues.
Any suggestions. Know i can go utility but not much protection for front of spyder.

TIA

Not sure (since you didn't say) which Jeep you have to get the 2000 lb max tow. https://www.towratings.net/make/jeep

The basic 2 door Wrangler is unchanged and yes remains at that limit, sort of. There are some things you can do to help that number, D or E load tires, Air Bags, and other options like a weight distribution hitch can increase the load safely. Just remember you also have to STOP it, insure the trailer has brakes and you should have no issues. There are loads of lightweight 6x10 enclosed trailers available or ones like Boilermaker or RICZ referred to.

Best wishes and praying all your rides are safe.

Cruzr Joe
01-14-2020, 12:52 PM
The heavier Spyders weight slightly over 1,000 lbs.

Cruzr joe

Big F
01-15-2020, 12:09 PM
to keep the weight limit issue down yu probably will have to go with an open utility trailer.. I have trailered my Spyder many thousands of miles all over the greater Midwest in an open aluminum trailer from Tractor Supply and nary a problem. they sell them new for less than $2,000.. good luck..
BIG F

Revalden
01-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Not sure (since you didn't say) which Jeep you have to get the 2000 lb max tow. https://www.towratings.net/make/jeep

The basic 2 door Wrangler is unchanged and yes remains at that limit, sort of. There are some things you can do to help that number, D or E load tires, Air Bags, and other options like a weight distribution hitch can increase the load safely. Just remember you also have to STOP it, insure the trailer has brakes and you should have no issues. There are loads of lightweight 6x10 enclosed trailers available or ones like Boilermaker or RICZ referred to.

Best wishes and praying all your rides are safe.

My enclosed trailer is 7' x 10' and Spydie barely fits in there.