PDA

View Full Version : July Marcels Lowers Exhaust Problems

BigBob
07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I bought Marcels new 31" Stingray windshield and love it. He sent me a set of lowers that hug the tank line and attach to the bottom of the windshield. The problem is a loss of airflow through the vents at the bottom of the "tank". So I get an overwhelming smell of exhaust. I'm talking "headache" here. So I took them off. Up here in Wisconsin help with keeping warm is at a premium. What should I do? Drill holes? Cut pieces out? Anyone else have this problem? Bob.

Firefly
07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
I would buy a CHAD instead.:D

Putt-Putt
07-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Wellcome BigBob. Chad:agree:

effgjamis
07-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I bought Marcels new 31" Stingray windshield and love it. He sent me a set of lowers that hug the tank line and attach to the bottom of the windshield. The problem is a loss of airflow through the vents at the bottom of the "tank". So I get an overwhelming smell of exhaust. I'm talking "headache" here. So I took them off. Up here in Wisconsin help with keeping warm is at a premium. What should I do? Drill holes? Cut pieces out? Anyone else have this problem? Bob.

Maybe an exhaust pipe wrap would help, however, I don't see why you are getting an exhaust smell.. Are you sure all gaskets are intact??
this would be a great question for Scotty...

Bersquack
07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Get a refund and get a different shield. This is obviously not working out for you.

I'm in SE WI, PM me if you want to go for a ride.

welcome

dltang
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Bob, if you found a windshield you love that is a big step. So many people go through a boat load of shields before they find one that works. I understand wanting to keep warm as I am in Michigan and ride year round. The fact is, this is a motorcycle type vehicle and not a car. You are going to get some wind and some cold air. If the shields and shutters are working so well that you are getting exhaust headaches, I would say yes, either remove them or start with some drilling for venting and see if it helps. Also, if you have had good customer service with Marcel, (many have and many have not, hence some of the remarks you are getting) try calling him and see if he can work with you. Just my .02. I know windshields are expensive and the answer to just buy another one, is not always what you need or want to hear.

Almost forgot, welcome

tatt2r
07-23-2009, 10:39 PM
31" windshield :gaah:a little bigger and you have a roof

jeuchler
07-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Bob, if you found a windshield you love that is a big step. So many people go through a boat load of shields before they find one that works. I understand wanting to keep warm as I am in Michigan and ride year round. The fact is, this is a motorcycle type vehicle and not a car. You are going to get some wind and some cold air. If the shields and shutters are working so well that you are getting exhaust headaches, I would say yes, either remove them or start with some drilling for venting and see if it helps. Also, if you have had good customer service with Marcel, (many have and many have not, hence some of the remarks you are getting) try calling him and see if he can work with you. Just my .02. I know windshields are expensive and the answer to just buy another one, is not always what you need or want to hear.

Almost forgot, welcome

I agree with Deb.

(OK, just this once.)

I remember when I had my fist CJ5 jeep and drove it with hatch open. Couldn't believe how the aerodynamics sucked the exhaust back at me.

Maybe just return the lowers rather than "modifying" them, get some $ back, and put it toward cold weather gear.

Magic Man
07-24-2009, 07:24 AM

:agree::agree::agree:

MM

BumbleBee
07-24-2009, 07:53 AM
welcome:congrats: Enjoy your ride. I would go with a Chad!!!!

sixpack
07-24-2009, 08:56 AM
welcome:congrats:

SpyderGirl
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
welcome

Don't buy another windshield, just take the lower part off if that's what seems to be causing the problem. Then maybe by some heated pant liners to keep your legs warm.

BajaRon
07-24-2009, 10:12 AM
31"???

That's not a windshield, that's a canopy! :joke:

Just kidding. I like some wind but not everyone does.

bone crusher
07-24-2009, 11:20 AM
31"???

That's not a windshield, that's a canopy! :joke:

Just kidding. I like some wind but not everyone does.

hah...basically a convertible without doors...I always thought the objective of having a bike was to get all the air you could...provided it didn't take you off your bike or take your head off!

Smylinacha
07-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Yepwelcome

Tripod
07-24-2009, 01:32 PM
BigBob,

Welcome, and I'm glad that you've recieved a few helpful suggestions about your windshield and fumes issue. I'm not going to question your choice of windshield, it's heighth, etc., because I don't know your personal situation. I do know that I had an issue when I recieved my F1 windshield from Marcel, made the issue known, and it was resolved immediately completely to my satisfaction.

Again, welcome

Tripod :joke:

HD2CANAM
07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
:agree::agree:

Longlegs
07-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I was looking at the BRP windshield and it has the deflectors too. Has any body installed them and had the exhaust problem? Dealer told me the deflectors were supposed to reduce the back pressure, which seems like it would help prevent the exhaust fumes not make it worse. How much different are Marcels deflectors from the BRP ones?

VIspyderman
07-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I have the 25" and the deflecters. What a difference. My wife, who rydes with me a lot, noticed less buffetting right away. In the rain, less wetness on my legs, blows the air out and around from my body.

dragonheart
07-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Almost forgot, welcome

I also agree with Deb. I am also very interested in the shutters - curious as to how much difference they really make. I have Marcel's slider and don't know if the shutters are compatible. I also have a heated seat and Gerbing heated liner and gloves. Makes winter riding MUCH more enjoyable. But again, am curious about the shutters.

BigBob
07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I was looking at the BRP windshield and it has the deflectors too. Has any body installed them and had the exhaust problem? Dealer told me the deflectors were supposed to reduce the back pressure, which seems like it would help prevent the exhaust fumes not make it worse. How much different are Marcels deflectors from the BRP ones?Marcels are much larger. Bob

BLACK WIDOW
07-25-2009, 04:23 PM
hah...basically a convertible without doors...I always thought the objective of having a bike was to get all the air you could...provided it didn't take you off your bike or take your head off!

IT'S A MOTORCYCLE, EXPECT WIND!! right:doorag:

Longlegs
07-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I just love how everyone chimes in to buy something else after the fact, oh well, I like my F3. Anyway back to the shutters, I looked at his website and saw pics of the shutters. I see they are very different than BRP's. Much more coverage; all the way to the windshield seems to be a good idea for the cold blockage. I really dont think drilling holes in them will help much. I think vents like he sells for the windshield might help but I don't like the looks of them. I wonder if you could open up the half circle hole in the middle of the windshield?

Putt-Putt
07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
What they need is to be mounted on a pivot to swing in or out. Cool air when hot warm air when cold. Seen some like that on a Goldwing.

smokster
07-25-2009, 06:24 PM
31" windshield, that must look like a big toenail riding down the street.
Why not enjoy the ride with some nice wind in your face, isn't that the freedom we long to enjoy:spyder:

Putt-Putt
07-25-2009, 07:54 PM
31" windshield, that must look like a big toenail riding down the street.
Why not enjoy the ride with some nice wind in your face, isn't that the freedom we long to enjoy:spyder:

Not when it's raining; snowing;hail; or cold as h-ll.

bjt
07-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Not when it's raining; snowing;hail; or cold as h-ll.

Them southern Californian ryders just don't understand what us northern midwest ryders have to go through to enjoy our Spyder. :D

widowmaker2011
07-26-2009, 07:16 AM
We have the new BRP screen and deflectors on Carol's and yes at certain speeds the aerodynamics cause the wind to swirl (ie: goes up and over the top and loops down and back underneath you). This would effectively grab some exhaust odor and bring it back up in front of you and its been noticed also. I have no idea if the amount is similar.
As for the "its a motorcycle its supposed to have wind", I'd perhaps change that statement to "some" motorcyclists like wind. The tens of thousands of Goldwings and full dress Harley Ultra's attest to the fact that not all motorcyclists like wind. :ohyea:
Theres hundreds of reasons to like the open road experience of the spyder and motorcycles , wind is just one of the options you get! :thumbup:

ElkSpyder
07-26-2009, 08:51 AM
welcome
Glad to see one more Wisconsin rider.

Firefly
07-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I guess I just don't get the need for these shutters. Many complain about their legs getting too hot as it is.

Bersquack
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM
welcome
Glad to see one more Wisconsin rider.

:agree: welcome

Putt-Putt
07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
We have the new BRP screen and deflectors on Carol's and yes at certain speeds the aerodynamics cause the wind to swirl (ie: goes up and over the top and loops down and back underneath you). This would effectively grab some exhaust odor and bring it back up in front of you and its been noticed also. I have no idea if the amount is similar.
As for the "its a motorcycle its supposed to have wind", I'd perhaps change that statement to "some" motorcyclists like wind. The tens of thousands of Goldwings and full dress Harley Ultra's attest to the fact that not all motorcyclists like wind. :ohyea:
Theres hundreds of reasons to like the open road experience of the spyder and motorcycles , wind is just one of the options you get! :thumbup:

Hey you forgot us BMW riders. But we do have the POWER up & down windshield. :ohyea:

draboo
07-26-2009, 10:46 AM
WOW!:yikes: A sudden surge of Cheeseheads! My Spyder came from Cheesehead country, Antigo,WI.

I m still a Yooper at heart, I guess.

Hope you get your problem solved. I agree with widowmaker. Different strokes,etc..

Putt-Putt
07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey we'er spreding the cheese man.:ohyea: :roflblack:

widowmaker2011
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey you forgot us BMW riders. But we do have the POWER up & down windshield. :ohyea:

I didn't forget you , I just still don't know where to categorize you..... :roflblack: