PDA

View Full Version : Future Spyder Purchase - Due Diligence Search of Alternatives

AVBIZ
01-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Anybody ever ride one of these?

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

https://youtu.be/XWyCH7DjQzU

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-03-2020, 11:26 PM
Anybody ever ride one of these?

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

https://youtu.be/XWyCH7DjQzU

No, but Bob Mighell, who owns TMW, rode an F6B conversion from Seattle area to Billings, MT for Wing Ding 2015. He also had a Goldwing conversion on the show floor. The owner of Motor Trike gave a seminar where he talked about how the reverse trike is better than conventional trike.

In comparing a Spyder to a conventional trike, if you can settle for a used one you can get onto a Spyder for maybe $10k less than the RT conversion. I had a 2005 Goldwing and when I compared the cost of triking it, added to the value of the GW, I bought a barely used 2013 RT for about $10k less money. The TMW conversion is in the same cost range as a conventional trike conversion. Keep in mind the Spyder was designed and built from ground up to be three wheels. Not so the conversions.

I seriously considered the TMW conversion but Mighell didn't have the conversion ready for market for a Goldwing. That was in 2013.

AVBIZ
01-04-2020, 05:26 AM
Thanks IMS- great info. A rear trike is out for me; just don’t care for them. A TMW Goldwing though is intriguing- ride like a traditional bike, Honda build quality with reverse, arguably a 200k+ engine. The TiltLock TMW option is the capability that makes this something to consider.

Downside- I can get into any used Can-am option for $10k less

Wahrsuul
01-04-2020, 08:14 AM
My issue was that I don't have a 'Wing to begin with so I'd have to factor that cost in as well.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-04-2020, 09:11 AM
My issue was that I don't have a 'Wing to begin with so I'd have to factor that cost in as well.
It's a cost whether you own one or not. If you own one you need to include the sale value of it as part of the total cost of converion. That's because if you sold it the $$ will offset part of the cost of buying a replacement, be it a Spyder or something other trike. There's no real difference between the sale value of one you own and money in the bank!

Navydad
01-04-2020, 10:10 AM
I like anything mechanical and would love to take one of these machines for a ride. I am curious about how a machine designed as a motorcycle and having this kit added compares to the Spyder which was designed and built as a three wheeled machine from the start.

carbonation
01-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Honey, I blew up the MP3 today...

https://youtu.be/XWenCaf3tjI

2dogs
01-04-2020, 03:20 PM
I came with inches of taking my Harley to Washington and having the conversion done. The single reason I went with the spyder, after researching SL's site, was that I had a dealership with in 30 miles who employed a BRP spyder tech with an impeccable reputation. Since late 2014 that dealership has had nearly a 100% employee turnover with only the spyder tech and a couple of other employees still in continuous employment. So, so many sad posts here about having to traveling long distances to find a dealership, and then having to work through insurmountable issues with unskilled mechanics and uncaring and unknowledgeable management.

AVBIZ
01-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Maybe I just buy a F3s and wait for one from Honda to come to market. Looks like they received patent approval last spring....things might get interesting in the trike world over the next few years

PMK
01-05-2020, 09:02 AM
Maybe I just buy a F3s and wait for one from Honda to come to market. Looks like they received patent approval last spring....things might get interesting in the trike world over the next few years

Honda has been get patents in regards to the Neo Wing for about 4 years now. Each year we hear the industry writers say it will be this year, but is still merely a prototype.

Been watching the Honda all along, hope some day they do release it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-05-2020, 09:07 AM

When I looked a few weeks ago I found nothing about the Neowing from Honda for the past two or three years. It's either being kept tightly under wraps or has faded away. I think it was 2015 when the concept Neowing was shown at the Tokyo show. I don't think Honda has ever shown it anywhere else since.

troop
01-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Yup .. That Honda concept piqued my interest a couple years ago. That machine would be kick azz !! That's the best motor in in the m/c world (my opinion of course :) )

AVBIZ
01-05-2020, 10:06 AM
Yup .. That Honda concept piqued my interest a couple years ago. That machine would be kick azz !! That's the best motor in in the m/c world (my opinion of course :) )

Agreed. The miles Wing operators are getting from that engine are phenomenal. I’m hoping to hear great things from the early 2020 RT adopters on this forum and will purchase new at the end of 2020 OR make the safe used F3s or F3t purchase and wait for something better that might come from anyone down the road. A tilt option would seem to be more exciting, less fatiguing. I’m going to rent an F3 for a motorcycle trip in April and will definitely shape my tilt/no tilt purchase.

Anybody know the percentage of Can-Am owners who have motorcycle experience vs. no two wheel back ground?

carbonation
01-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Anything is possible with time and money.
There have been Cummins diesels put in Fords.
Mopar Hellephant motors in Chevy pickups.
Big block Chevy in Ford Mustangs... you get the idea.
With the concept of "the impossible just takes a little longer", eventually, someone will put a wing motor in a CanAm frame.

h0gr1der
01-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Anything is possible with time and money.
There have been Cummins diesels put in Fords.
Mopar Hellephant motors in Chevy pickups.
Big block Chevy in Ford Mustangs... you get the idea.
With the concept of "the impossible just takes a little longer", eventually, someone will put a wing motor in a CanAm frame.

In my opinion it's not the Rotax 1330 ACE that's the problem, those seem fairly reliable. It's all the poorly implemented and overly complicated subsystems that BRP has added to the bike which plagues the owners. That coupled with the fairly poor dealer experience makes the Spyder seem less attractive overall. If Honda ever makes a reverse trike that will stand on its own (non-leaning) for the crowd that can't support a bike anymore, I believe the Spyder will suffer major sales losses.

2dogs
01-05-2020, 02:21 PM
In my opinion it's not the Rotax 1330 ACE that's the problem, those seem fairly reliable. It's all the poorly implemented and overly complicated subsystems that BRP has added to the bike which plagues the owners. That coupled with the fairly poor dealer experience makes the Spyder seem less attractive overall. If Honda ever makes a reverse trike that will stand on its own (non-leaning) for the crowd that can't support a bike anymore, I believe the Spyder will suffer major sales losses.

You and I must have the same crystal ball. I agree 100%.

jcthorne
01-06-2020, 02:47 PM
I'll go a bit further. I think Harley should just buy CanAm on road division outright and save both companies.

pegasus1300
01-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Last thing I want is to be under the Harley umbrella.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-06-2020, 06:58 PM

:agree: and have maintained this position for the past 8 years …… Mike:ohyea:

PMK
01-07-2020, 06:12 AM
I'll go a bit further. I think Harley should just buy CanAm on road division outright and save both companies.

Not sure if that would save or kill both.

If there was a company that could scoop up BRP. It would be KTM. KTM has been acquiring other brands for the past few years. A KTM acquisition, could elevate them to being a very serious full line contender, with the exception of a wide variety of two wheel street models. They do currently have adventure bikes, sport bikes and off road. Adding a cruiser and touring bike, while difficult to compete with the Japanese, they could pull it off.

Purchasing BRP would get them watercraft, side by sides, Spyders, outboards, snowmobiles, Rotax engines and more.

Add to this, an already established USA dealer network for their existing brands. Factor in even the smallest amount of brand loyalty towards KTM and they would be a huge player in the powersports industry.