PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trunk Release!

vendit
07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I installed an electric trunk release on my 2008 Spyder. I bought a kit from "EFUNCTIONAL.COM" It is called a Crimestopper Power Trunk Release Kit, item # CS-611. I think the kit was about $16.00 + shipping. It included a solenoid w/ cable, wiring, mounting hardware, switch and inline fuse. I installed it on the drivers side by the fuse box, and attached the cable to the same side of the latch as the factory cable. I hooked the power up to the front trunk 12volt outlet, which is switched to the ignition key, but remains powered up for about 30 seconds after you turn the key off. So far, it works great!

I had to cut some of the black plastic piece that you remove to get to the fuse box, so that it would slide around the solenoid once installed.:ohyea:

bjt
07-23-2009, 06:36 PM
:2thumbs:

fastfraser
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
:thumbup:Nice mod. Got any pics?

BumbleBee
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
[quote=vendit;123230]I installed an electric trunk release on my 2008 Spyder. I bought a kit from "EFUNCTIONAL.COM" It is called a Crimestopper Power Trunk Release Kit, item # CS-611. I think the kit was about $16.00 + shipping. It included a solenoid w/ cable, wiring, mounting hardware, switch and inline fuse. I installed it on the drivers side by the fuse box, and attached the cable to the same side of the latch as the factory cable. I hooked the power up to the front trunk 12volt outlet, which is switched to the ignition key, but remains powered up for about 30 seconds after you turn the key off. So far, it works great!

I had to cut some of the black plastic piece that you remove to get to the fuse box, so that it would slide around the solenoid once installed.:ohyea:

welcome:congrats::2thumbs:

vendit
07-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Here is a pict of the solenoid I installed for the trunk release. Works Great!
Drilled a hole on dash to mount switch. I also did the garage door opener mod that someone else posted. That works great too! I velcroed the garage door opener transmitter on the opposite side of the trunk release solenoid, and put a different color switch on the dash for that. Got the switches at Radio Shack for around $2.49 each. One black, one red.:spyder2:

SpyderGirl
07-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Very cool! :2thumbs:

JOESPY
07-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I like it.:congrats:

Twodog185
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Is the soleniod strong enough to open the seat latch?

davepick
07-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info I was wondering where I could get all this stuff. I went on to efunctional.com to order it but the shipping was $12 so I searched on Power Trunk-Release Kit and found the same kit at Sears on line with more reasonable shipping.

vendit
07-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Is the soleniod strong enough to open the seat latch?

I'm not sure, but I think it would operate the seat latch. It's the same identical latch mechanism as the trunk....but I don't know if there would be enough room to mount the solenoid.:dontknow:

vendit
07-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info I was wondering where I could get all this stuff. I went on to efunctional.com to order it but the shipping was $12 so I searched on Power Trunk-Release Kitand found the same kit at Sears on line with more reasonable shipping.

The one listed on Sears online is a lot different than the one at efunctional.com. The Sears one is $37.00 vs. $16.00 + $12.00 shipping and the Sears one doesn't look like it has the cable, or any mounting hardware, brackets, etc.:spyder:

Capt John
07-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Cool Mod! Great job!:thumbup:

vendit
07-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Cool Mod! Great job!:thumbup:

Hey Thanks! Appreciate it!:yes:

Spyder#353
08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Here is a pict of the solenoid I installed for the trunk release. Works Great!
Drilled a hole on dash to mount switch. I also did the garage door opener mod that someone else posted. That works great too! I velcroed the garage door opener transmitter on the opposite side of the trunk release solenoid, and put a different color switch on the dash for that. Got the switches at Radio Shack for around $2.49 each. One black, one red.:spyder2:
I used that same solenoid for a electric seat release. Connected to a hot wire through the fuse block. The button is connected through the ground wire. No need to turn the key gas up, release the passenger back rest. I'm really lazy.:roflblack:

vendit
08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Great idea! Congratulations! Where did you mount the solenoid? Do you happen to have any picts? I may do the same thing.

P.S. I had to go with a 10amp fuse on mine for the trunk. Anything smaller would blow. In fact I rode yesterday and stopped at a store. I had trouble getting my helmet and jacket to fit into the trunk, and consequently had to hit the buton a few times to get it open, due to overloading my trunk. It blew the 10amp fuse for some reason. Just wanted to let you know you may want to use a 10-15 amp fuse on your seat solenoid.

NancysToy
08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Great idea! Congratulations! Where did you mount the solenoid? Do you happen to have any picts? I may do the same thing.

P.S. I had to go with a 10amp fuse on mine for the trunk. Anything smaller would blow. In fact I rode yesterday and stopped at a store. I had trouble getting my helmet and jacket to fit into the trunk, and consequently had to hit the buton a few times to get it open, due to overloading my trunk. It blew the 10amp fuse for some reason. Just wanted to let you know you may want to use a 10-15 amp fuse on your seat solenoid.
Lubricate the latch mechanism and the knob on the latch post slightly. I used silicon grease to keep from getting things icky. The lube really helps a lot when things are pressing against the lid.

bjt
08-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Because of the way a solenoid works, if it hangs up and can't travel full stroke, it will draw more current than it normally needs to operate. If it's designed for a 10 amp fuse, don't fuse it at 15 amps or you'll risk damaging the solenoid. Find out what the solenoid you are using is supposed to be fused at, fuse it at that level and if it continually blows the fuses, find out why and fix that problem.