PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan relay failure

barb36jack31
07-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Was riding Spyder home the other day it started to run on one culinder.(My assessment). It had a low oil light and a high temp light. I limped to a place where I could inspect the proble. Oill evel was a bit low but still well up on the stick. I let it sit for about 45 min. and added a bit more oil. Fired right up and ran perfectly as long as I was moving smartly along. If I had to wait at a traffic light, the temp would rise to the 6/7 bar position and the engine would revert to limp mode. Rode it to my dealer in a series of starts and stops. (5 miles). I was not two sentences into the explanation of the problem when they announced that the fan relay had failed. They said it was a 5 min. fix. Actually it was only 4 minutes. They plugged in a new fan relay and the whole problem went away. I plan to have the mech show me how to replace the relay. Then I will purchase a spare and carry it on the Spyder with me.

I am developing a certain feeling of mistrust about my bike. What if I had bee 200 miles from home when this all happened? I guess I am used to bikes that run and run with little or no problems. This one seems to be fairly fragile. I wonder what next is on the horizon.

Don in E Texas
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Relay just plugs in.... no big deal. I picked one up at my local auto parts house.

Most riders do carry a spare relay and a few fuses to boot.

don

Lamonster
07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6755

bjt
07-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Those relays are easier to replace than the fuses that are in there with them. Being some folks have had problems with the relays working loose, I wonder if yours was actually bad? Just re-seating it may have taken care of the problem. :dontknow: At over 21,000 miles in all temps and weather conditions, I would not consider my Spyder fragile.