PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Spyder RT - Acoustic panel

INfox
12-28-2019, 02:51 PM
I did my first panel removal this week and noticed I don't have the Acoustic panels I've seen on every video so far.
Shouldn't these be on the 2017 RT LTD? Or just certain models and/or years have them?

trikermutha
12-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Which ones are you referring too?

INfox
12-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Which ones are you referring too?

This if from 2014 RT LTD YouTube vid, please see the arrow:

PMK
12-28-2019, 04:20 PM
It would be good to see a photo of your Spyder to verify if it has braces vs acoustic panels.

The acoustic panel serves as a support on the left and right sides, for the upper console. When Can Am released the air scoops for the 2013 models, the acoustic panels were removed and new braces were installed.

I am uncertain, but possibly this is a design change for later years?

INfox
12-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Here is the pic from the left side The Glovebox and Switch panel are removed. 177889.

safecracker
12-28-2019, 04:37 PM
it looks like it has the braces instead of the panels. Bruce

trikermutha
12-28-2019, 04:39 PM
It sure does you are missing the left side black plastic acoustic panel.

Dont recall foam on those panel. Maybe some changes since the earlier models?

Do you have one on the right side?

Found them

LH Acoustic Shell Foam
$25.99 USD
Available

RH Acoustic Shell Foam
$14.99 USD
Avai

RH Acoustic Shell Foam
$25.99 USD
Available

LH Acoustic Shell Foam
$15.49 USD

INfox
12-28-2019, 04:53 PM
Thank you, here is the right side:177890

trikermutha
12-28-2019, 05:01 PM
I know mine has black plastic panel in those spots that are screwed in. But I have a 14 RT.

Just rechecked the parts list and it does show the missing panels that you are referring too. Part number posted #7

INfox
12-28-2019, 05:16 PM
177891 (https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/57d2c00c87a8660e6845ba36/air-intake-all-models)

trikermutha
12-28-2019, 05:18 PM
177891 (https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/57d2c00c87a8660e6845ba36/air-intake-all-models)

Yep you got it! :thumbup:

trikermutha
12-28-2019, 05:19 PM
So now the thousand dollar question. What happened to yours?

PMK
12-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Acoustic panels do have self adhesive white poly foam adhered to the inside surfaces.

I believe the non acoustic panel braces are in those photos. About 1 1/2” wide and positioned vertically. Our 14 RTS has acoustic panels, but no braces. They are part of the panel.

This was a concern as people wanted the scoops installed. Correctly done, the acoustic panels were removed. Seems many people ordered and got scoops, but not the complete service bulletin kit. Retaining the acoustic panels with the scoops does add airflow, but not as BRP intended. Omitting the acoustic panels and not installing the braces, lets the upper console remain without support bracing.

INfox
12-28-2019, 05:29 PM
I would like to know that too.

Would this Acoustic panel deaden the transmission noise if it would be there? I have tinnitus in the right ear and if I don't have helmet with music on, I hear a winy/squeaky noise coming from the right side somewhere where the transmission is.

PMK
12-28-2019, 05:37 PM
I would like to know that too.

Would this Acoustic panel deaden the transmission noise if it would be there? I have tinnitus in the right ear and if I don't have helmet with music on, I hear a winy/squeaky noise coming from the right side somewhere where the transmission is.

Not sure. I replaced the failed foam on ours. It turned to a gooey mess. Relined the acoustic panels with aircraft soundproofing. No photos on this IPad, but may have posted them here while back.

Revalden
12-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Does your Spyder have the Air Scoops installed? I put them on my 2015 RT-S, used the metal braces and left the acoustic panels off. It runs cool and can keep chocolate candy bars in the glove box now and don't feel heat on the sides by where knees touch. I'm very hard of hearing and with helmet on can't hear engine anyway. Management has authorized RLS Cat-Delete muffler so that I'll hopefully be able to hear the engine sufficiently to tell what freekin gear it's in.

INfox
12-28-2019, 07:57 PM
No I don’t Revalden, this is the first time I hear about them. I checked the web, but can’t find which year RT are they for. I would love to have colder Glovebox and no hot center where my knees touch. Thank you, it is definitely on my list now.
Was it easy to install? I read on Amazon, that no instructions came with.

Peter Aawen
12-28-2019, 08:21 PM
INfox, the Air Scoops were part of the Heat Recall issued for 2013 RT Spyders; removing & replacing the acoustic panels with those stays shown in your pic were another part. :thumbup:

The 2013 RT's were originally designed to be fitted with the new 'shorter but wider' 1330 Ace motor, but delays in motor delivery meant that the 2013 RT's ended up hitting the streets with the existing longer but narrower 998 V-Twin motor jammed into the hole that had been redesigned for a completely different motor/trans assy, creating air flow issues under the tupperware that don't really occur to anywhere near the same extent in later models.... :shocked:

INfox
12-28-2019, 09:28 PM
Thank you so much Peter. I was going to get them, but checking this forum further I found out, I would have to cut into the tupperware, and I do not want to do that. I would still like to get the aluminum insulations as the center gets pretty warm within 15-20 minutes after start my rides in the hot summer. I also don't like the Glovebox being so hot and the idea of getting the Air Scoops looked so good.

Revalden
12-29-2019, 12:30 AM
No I don’t Revalden, this is the first time I hear about them. I checked the web, but can’t find which year RT are they for. I would love to have colder Glovebox and no hot center where my knees touch. Thank you, it is definitely on my list now.
Was it easy to install? I read on Amazon, that no instructions came with.
You can order from Amazon, and you can ask your Spyder dealer for the instructions. Assemble the parts to get a feel for how they'll fit on Spyder. Remove the panel that it installs on and see how you'll need to fit the assembly. You'll have to drill screw holes but you don't need to cut the big hole, just remove the original plastic screen. That's what I did and it works fine. I ride in shorts in the high heat of Oklahoma summers and don't feel the heat of engine on my knees, just when a side has been on the sunny side when parked and it goes away fast once you start riding. I do get sunburn on my knees/legs though.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-29-2019, 01:05 AM
I seem to recall this question was discussed quite awhile back ….. the outcome was the newer RT's didn't have them …. you could check CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.com, they have a feature - when looking for specific parts, they will tell you every Spyder that has that part ….. good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

INfox
12-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Mike, I already verified (post #10), it looks like they should be on my bike.

PMK
12-29-2019, 10:44 AM
double posted

PMK
12-29-2019, 10:54 AM
You present an interesting situation. Since you are merely doing parts research, using the BRP online parts catalog seems superior in quality to view.

As you noted, the 2017 does indicate foam. Not exactly certain I noticed what I would deem the large plastic acoustic panel. I did take look at the 2018 parts catalog. In that the foam is omitted, they still show what looks like an acoustic panel, but call it something else.

If you take a look at the 2019 it clearly shows the support.

As a hunch, after seeing your Spyder having the support braces, and no panels, I suspect, the parts book may be in error. Unless you believe at some point someone removed the acoustic panels and replaced them with braces.

Regardless, I hope you sort it out and post back your results.

INfox
12-29-2019, 11:31 AM
PMK, You have a good point.

I originally hoped, someone with 2017 RT LTD will know if they have the Acoustic panel or not. My main reason was the whining/hissing noise I keep hearing if not wearing a helmet with music on. I am sensitive to high pitch noises due to the tinnitus though. Some people report hearing this noise too, so I am just wondering.

This is my first time I took off the Tupperware, therefore I have no clue if it was there or if it should be there when I bought my bike. I tried to contact BRP, but their web has error.
I’ll call them in January, I won’t be hopefully too long on a hold.

trikermutha
12-29-2019, 12:34 PM
https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/customer-service.html

INfox
01-05-2020, 11:57 AM
No solid info from BRP yet, just posting what happened. The original BRP contact that resulted in an error did go through and I received a repply:
“Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP with your inquiry regarding 2017 Can Am Spyder.
In response to your request, if your unit has a Acoustic Panel, we would need your VIN number to look into this matter further.
Also, As you may know, our dealers are more than just sales people; they're the best positioned people to help you with most of your requests, as they are not only technically knowledgeable, but have a lot of information on hand at the dealership. I would recommend that you to get to know them better so they can help make your riding experiences unforgettable.
Based on the zip code provided, here are your 3 nearest authorized dealers...”

I replied back with the VIN number and this is their response:
“Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP with your inquiry regarding Can Am Spyder.
In response to your request, please find attached the spec sheet for your unit.
We also noticed that the ownership on your vehicle would need to be put in your name. We do require the following.
- Your complete mailing address and phone number
- The serial number of the vehicle (VIN)
- Proof of purchase or of ownership (bill of sale*, title or registration)
Note: the bill of sale doesn't have to be a formal document. You and the seller can draw one up on a piece of paper, but it must include both the seller's and buyer's names and signatures, as well as the unit's serial number. “

I replied back asking again for the Acoustic panel information (while the Spec sheet is an advertisement pamphlet). I did not submit any of my info as I am already a registered owner since the day one (and I stated that). I didn’t hear back since December 30, 2019. I am not sure at this point if I will receive any information from the BRP identifying if the panel should be included or not.

I did my own research on the BRP’s site https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/for-sale/parts-iframe.html ;
02- Air Intake - All Models sheet and this sheet shows the ‘450 707800697 RH Acoustic Shell Foam’ present, please see the screenshot.

trikermutha
01-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Think they are just trying to make sure you own the vehicle. As they do not know if it was stolen etc. Give them the info they need and you may get a response. If not take it to the dealer ..

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-05-2020, 07:40 PM
No solid info from BRP yet, just posting what happened.

I replied back with the VIN number and this is their response:
“Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP with your inquiry regarding Can Am Spyder.
It's possible no human has actually read your email, except maybe just enough to select "Response 34z" and hit send. You may be exchanging emails with a computer which is why you don't get a human like answer that addresses your questions directly.

jcthorne
01-06-2020, 02:06 PM
2017 to 2019 RT do not have acoustic panels. They get the metal struts that originally came out in the 2013 heat recall kit.