PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom Rider 550

Snakeyes
12-22-2019, 12:09 PM
I have always had tom toms for my car and now see that the Tom Tom Rider 550 is on sale for $239 - originally $399. Anyone using this unit?

Bob L
12-22-2019, 12:36 PM
Where did you see it on sale? I was going to buy one in the new year. Thanks.

starrider60
12-22-2019, 12:43 PM
I'll be sticking with my Garmin 50LM for a good while. Paid for and simple ;)

Snakeyes
12-22-2019, 12:49 PM
I'm on their email distribution list. Check their web site.

T.P.
12-22-2019, 01:59 PM
I had a rider 400 that stopped working because of internal moisture. Got a new 550 for $244 mid October. I was able to download all of my places and routes from my MYDRIVE, I still download map updates through my computer and not the new units WIFI.

T.P.

Bike-O-Din
12-22-2019, 04:56 PM
I had a Rider 400 for a few years for my other bike. It was a good GPS with lots of features. Sold the bike and the TomTom. Several months ago I decided to get rid of the Garmin 660 and upgrade to the TomTom Rider 550! WOW what an improvement. It is a great GPS device and is really fast. It has lots of features that I will never use like the phone connections/texting/hands free calling, etc. but it is a wonderful addition to my RT. I placed it on the top of the dash, so I can see it better than the old 660. The ability to update through WiFi without hooking to the computer is a big plus for me. Connecting to the phone/WiFi tether makes getting traffic and road conditions on most of the places I ryde easy to obtain.

I use Tyre on the PC to create routes (ITN not GPX). I just copy them to a flash drive and plug the drive into the slot on the Rider 550 and upload them. I also used Tyre to make a POI file of "places to go for RTE" and load them using the MyDrive app. Simple and easy to update. I would never go back to the garmin. The only thing that the 660 had that is missing from the 550 is the altimeter and compass. I can live without them.

pegasus1300
12-22-2019, 05:07 PM
I had a Rider 400 for a few years for my other bike. It was a good GPS with lots of features. Sold the bike and the TomTom. Several months ago I decided to get rid of the Garmin 660 and upgrade to the TomTom Rider 550! WOW what an improvement. It is a great GPS device and is really fast. It has lots of features that I will never use like the phone connections/texting/hands free calling, etc. but it is a wonderful addition to my RT. I placed it on the top of the dash, so I can see it better than the old 660. The ability to update through WiFi without hooking to the computer is a big plus for me. Connecting to the phone/WiFi tether makes getting traffic and road conditions on most of the places I ryde easy to obtain.

I use Tyre on the PC to create routes (ITN not GPX). I just copy them to a flash drive and plug the drive into the slot on the Rider 550 and upload them. I also used Tyre to make a POI file of "places to go for RTE" and load them using the MyDrive app. Simple and easy to update. I would never go back to the garmin. The only thing that the 660 had that is missing from the 550 is the altimeter and compass. I can live without them.
Are you still using Tyre? I thought they had been superseded by the new system and wasn't active any more.

Bike-O-Din
12-22-2019, 05:32 PM
Yep, still using Tyre. There is a new "app" called MyRoute that is completely cloud based. It is OK, the I like the old Tyre better - maybe cause I am familiar with it. It is no longer a subscription based application. You can download the final version and use it free!! http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

Bike-O-Din
12-22-2019, 05:38 PM
OOPS, I almost forgot one of the best features of the Rider 550. It can plan routes that they call thrill rides that chooses twisty roads and avoids interstates. You simply pick a destination and let it "Plan A Thrill." It works pretty well, and makes for some adventures that I would not have picked myself. You can do this to a specific place, or just a round trip from your current starting location. All of this is done on the device and can be done pretty much on-the-fly. No need to connect to the phone or pc to make this work. I often drive to a place of interest (probably a ride-to-eat location), and then let the Rider figure out a "thrill ride" back home.

Enjoy,

MrBill

bobfeeney
12-27-2019, 07:38 PM
I've been watching for a sale on the Tom Tom 550 myself and haven't seen a sale price yet. Who is offering it?

troop
12-28-2019, 09:38 AM
https://www.amazon.com/TomTom-1GF0-047-00-Motorcycle-Navigation-Lifetime/dp/B07D47QP28/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2CZ5SEMW6EBBC&keywords=tomtom+550+rider+navigation+gps&qid=1577543888&sprefix=tom+tom+550%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzM0lHR1BHSTlZVk5GJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDA3NDMzMkdYV05KR0JFQzMzQiZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTc0ODk1MVQwMTMwWjZQMVNPViZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Bob L
12-28-2019, 02:39 PM
https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/promo/xmas2019/?utm_source=oneoff&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=co_dr_gift_season_201912

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-28-2019, 07:00 PM
I've no idea how the phone app compares to a dedicated Tom Tom GPS, but the Sygic phone app uses Tom Tom maps. If you prefer TT maps over the ones Garmin uses then consider the Sygic smartphone app. I've been using it for several years, mostly on a tablet, and have been quite satisfied with it.

Dodgedad
02-25-2020, 10:36 AM
I would also like to know if there are mounting plates available to mount tomtom 550 on the new 2020 spyder rt:helpsmilie:

Peter Aawen
02-25-2020, 10:57 AM
I would also like to know if there are mounting plates available to mount tomtom 550 on the new 2020 spyder rt:helpsmilie:

Certainly not anything available as Original Equipment from BRP! :shocked: But I reckon Lamonster Garage probably has something aftermarket that'll work! :thumbup:

There's a link labelled 'Spyder Store' first in the list up the top of the main Index page - lotsa goodies in there! ;)

T.P.
02-25-2020, 12:11 PM

There is mounting hardware included in the box, Will mount to your handle bars

T.P.

jredman
02-25-2020, 12:14 PM
I have always had tom toms for my car and now see that the Tom Tom Rider 550 is on sale for $239 - originally $399. Anyone using this unit?

I have one, but I am sure I paid more than that.

Copperman
02-25-2020, 02:43 PM

Any mounting plate for the F3 (UFit system) will fit on the 2020 RT.

bcer960
02-25-2020, 07:52 PM
still using the 400, works great

Flamewinger
02-25-2020, 11:27 PM
TomTom Go on any smartphone is $40. Still supported compared to Garmin which is no longer available for smart devices.

Dodgedad
02-26-2020, 10:40 PM
I would really like to add the tom tom 550 in the center spot on handle bars,so will need a mount for it

troop
02-27-2020, 06:46 AM
If the 2020 RT h-bars are the same as the F3, this should work. I have one on my F3-S and really like it..
https://spyderextras.com/shop/details/6/CAN-AM-SPYDER-12-VOLT-DOCKING-STATION-SF3-1U12-1-USB-1-12-Volt

McClendons
02-27-2020, 07:57 AM
Its hard to tell, but the bar center mount looks the same as the earlier RTs and the F3. If so, the mount at the link below is nicely made and should fit any standard GPS bracket. I have on mine and like it.
http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-am-spyder-f3-rt-gps-swivel-motorcycle-lamonster/

bigbadbrucie
03-06-2020, 09:57 AM
I’ve been seriously looking at the Rider 550, but not sure how to mount it on my 2014 RT. I’ve contacted RAM and they tell me that they do NOT have a cradle for the 550. Not sure if I would trust an “X” grip. Suggestions?

Brentc
03-06-2020, 12:07 PM
I’ve been seriously looking at the Rider 550, but not sure how to mount it on my 2014 RT. I’ve contacted RAM and they tell me that they do NOT have a cradle for the 550. Not sure if I would trust an “X” grip. Suggestions?
Rider 550 comes with ram ball clamp. All you need is a standard ram ball. I’ve got one on my 2014 rts, very happy with it.

troop
03-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Does the supplied USB/mini USB cable work to power the GPS on the bike, or is it a data only cable? PIA with a couple of my Garmins..

bigbadbrucie
03-06-2020, 06:59 PM
I've been reading the reviews on the 550, and there seem to be quite a few negative. Have you had any problems yourself with the unit?

Brentc
03-06-2020, 08:04 PM
no issues for me, I’m happy with it. I bounce between the 550 and my Tom Tom iOS app. Depending on weather and length of trip.

Eviltwin
03-07-2020, 11:08 AM
I am looking at one of these but have a few questions that maybe somebody here can shed some light on.

How well does this unit integrate the phone with the Sena headset? Can you use it to listen to music on the phone as well as routing from the GPS? Can it pass voice communications to the phone via google assistant or something like that?

It uses an app on the phone from what I understand. Is the app buggy? Hog memory or burn up the battery time? How stable is the bluetooth connection, I've seen user reviews that say it tended to drop connection, but that was 2-3 years ago and hopefully they have fixed those issues.

Is the US warranty 2 years? Hard to glean from TomToms website.

How does it compare to the garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S. Amazon has that for about 60 bucks more. I'm familiar with Garmins, current gps is one of the older garmin nuvi units which doesnt have any phone integration or bluetooth.

Thanks.

bigbadbrucie
03-08-2020, 08:00 PM
no issues for me, I’m happy with it. I bounce between the 550 and my Tom Tom iOS app. Depending on weather and length of trip.
I took your word for it, and just got a new one today.....the documentation that came with it sucked, but so far, after searching, I’ve been able to figure out what seems to be everything I need to know. Not too sure where I’m going to grab power from on my ‘14 RTS, but I’m sure that I’ll figure that out too. I was hoping to be able to grab power from my added USB plug but from what I read, they don’t recommend it (not enough go juice). Otherwise, it seems to be just fine. I’ve got a RAM mount on my dash, so I’ll just mount to that. It will be hanging just over the speedo.

Brentc
03-09-2020, 03:05 PM
I ran the supplied power connector right to battery. Was a little pain, but ultimately worth the effort.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Not too sure where I’m going to grab power from on my ‘14 RTS, but I’m sure that I’ll figure that out too.
Under the tupperware at the back right corner of the gas tank there are two GPS connections. One is 12 volt power coming from the radio and the other is an audio input to send GPS audio into the radio. You can connect any GPS to the audio and if your GPS uses 12 v power you can use it also. Easier than going down to the battery.

Be careful about using the 12 v connector to power a USB adapter. Some USB adapters generate a lot of RF noise and that will feed directly into the radio. Ask me how I know!

bigbadbrucie
03-10-2020, 08:08 AM
Many thanks for the info IMS...very much appreciated. That’s what I like about this site, Spyder Riders helping Spyder Riders. Knowledge is a wonderful thing and is wasted if not shared!

troop
04-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Hey 550 owners, I'm reposting my question from post #12:
1.) Does the supplied USB/mini USB cable work to power up or charge the GPS on the bike, or is it a data only cable? I likely wouldn't be hard wiring up the GPS.
Also, is the USB input on the bottom side of the GPS ? This would be accessible while mounted.

TomTom's version of a 12v plug is a USB/mini USB cable and a 12v USB adapter. I have a couple of those, along with Garmin 12v mini USB car chargers.
https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/accessories/chargers-cables/compact-car-charger/

I'd plug into my attached power port..

bigbadbrucie
04-29-2020, 11:35 AM
I plug mine into my USB adaptor...5 volt 2.1 amp and seems to work fine.

troop
04-29-2020, 11:58 AM
I plug mine into my USB adaptor...5 volt 2.1 amp and seems to work fine.

Cool. Thanks. Is the mini usb plug in directly on the bottom of the gps?

bigbadbrucie
04-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Cool. Thanks. Is the mini usb plug in directly on the bottom of the gps?

I have a 2014 RTS so there is no USB connection. I had my dealer install one in my glovebox. Charging unit only. The Mini USB is on the backside of the unit, on the bottom.