PDA

View Full Version : Marketing failure

Jetfixer
12-20-2019, 07:53 AM
I've been following the advance marketing info/hype over the 2020 RT models and feel that BRP has made an epic marketing failure. They've been riding and demonstrating the 4 prototype RT's all over the country showing them to dealers unannounced. But why wouldn't they let the dealers know in advance when they would be there so the dealers could also let interested buyers be there. BRP is dangling incentives like an extra years' warranty, etc. for pre-orders. I and I'm sure others, might have put deposits down if there had been a chance to see the machine in person to evaluate the changes and the colors.

We decided to visit our local dealer yesterday to see if there were any holiday deals on riding gear. In talking to the salesman, he said the the #2 prototype (the blue one) showed up at their door a week and a half ago, 30 minutes before they opened. The BRP rep demonstrated the bike, let them ride it, and left after about an hour. We discussed the marketing failure aspect of their visit. Not only did customers not get to see it and potentially put down a deposit, but the dealer missed an opportunity to sell leftover 2019 stock if those potential customers did not like the new model.

At last years Maggie Valley rally, the sponsoring dealer had the first Ryker before they were available for sale. There was so much interest in it, that they had to hold a lottery to be able to ride it, and even then, it was only around the fairgrounds, not on the road. That dealer has since closed, (family decision), but at their going out of business sale, they told us that having that Ryker in advance brought in many orders.

blacklightning
12-20-2019, 09:58 AM
I agree with everything that you said. Whenever the yamaha truck is coming to town, it is announced at my local dealership in advance. That way potential buyers have a chance to see the actual bike, and not just read about it. They also get to talk to representatives from the manufacturer who are (or supposed to be) more knowledgeable. And yes, I was in Maggie Valley that year and the Ryker did get a lot of attention. Probably made an impression on enough people that they did go out and place orders.

WisconsinDavid
12-20-2019, 11:05 AM
I also agree that BRP is not very adept at a great deal of things. They not only don't promote their Spyder line well, they are good at establishing a real lack of trust in their dealerships. They don't run a very tight ship as to quality of support. These kind of issues leave a lot of bad tastes in mouths and harm brand loyalty (and word of mouth). The Spyder is a great product... it just needs better promo/support behind it ... or at its price-point, it will falter and fail... in my humble opinion.

ARtraveler
12-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Sometimes we all wonder about it.

I was hot to trot on the new 2020 RT in blue. Did not want to wait another couple months. Took the rebate and got a great trade-in price on a 2019 F3. And...saved about $3K in the process on the 2020.

bayoubill
12-20-2019, 11:45 AM
I also agree that BRP is not very adept at a great deal of things. They not only don't promote their Spyder line well, they are good at establishing a real lack of trust in their dealerships. They don't run a very tight ship as to quality of support. These kind of issues leave a lot of bad tastes in mouths and harm brand loyalty (and word of mouth). The Spyder is a great product... it just needs better promo/support behind it ... or at its price-point, it will falter and fail... in my humble opinion.

you could say these exact words about victory, they are gone now.

troop
12-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Gotta believe that if any of the Japanese manufactures jumped into the Spyder vehicle concept, BRP would be doing a whole lot of advertising...

RICZ
12-20-2019, 01:18 PM
All very good comments and observations. As an ex Victory owner, I can attest to Bayoubill's post. If I was in charge of marketing for a vehicle, or any product for that matter, I would look at what the top seller is doing and imitate that. Maybe BRP feels they are in a field by themselves and don't need to promote like Honda and Yamaha do. Hell, I see more on my Facebook from CSC Motorcycles than I do BRP. That's wrong.

Rob Rodriguez
12-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Maybe BRP feels they are in a field by themselves and don't need to promote like Honda and Yamaha do.

I would say that's not the case because they don't market their other product lines (sleds, watercraft, ATV's) very well either. I think they are just bad at marketing......have been for years.

BajaRon
12-20-2019, 01:31 PM
I would say that's not the case because they don't market their other product lines (sleds, watercraft, ATV's) very well either. I think they are just bad at marketing......have been for years.

I believe that BRP expects the product to market itself. And, to an extent, that can happen. But it also goes both ways. A product, left inadequately promoted and supported, can also UN-Market itself.

MRH
12-20-2019, 02:17 PM
I have to agree here. I attended the Ryker event, which for a while didn't even seem to be findable on their site or by calling BRP (I had needed to change times, and the links had all failed). They got mad if I even tried to ride it at a normal speed, so there was no way to test it out in any meaningful way, and the one dealer they had was marking it up $3K over sticker.

They had free food, and a nice display with great tech, but it didn't help me when I couldn't really test the ride out.

I'm thinking about a new RT, but I need to do a real test ride first. They have to get a new marketing department or agency, and be smarter with their marketing budget. I can't see that it would be that expensive to really stand behind their products consistently (they often do, but not always) and build the loyalty they need. Every Spyder they sell is the chance to sell two or three more over the next 15 years to that customer, plus who knows how many others on referrals.

bhern
12-20-2019, 04:20 PM
To MRH re the Ryker event -- I don't know how much the individual events depended upon the dealer hosting them, but the Ryker event at my dealer in Boerne (Coyote Powersports) was certainly sufficient for me to experience the Ryker at appropriate speeds, etc. I was actually surprised at how lengthy the test ride was and that we were able to open it up several times along the way.

Which points to my more general point about marketing in this context: I've never owned a motor vehicle dealership, but I spent a decent chunk of my professional life consulting with enterprises that relied upon dealer/VAR channels, and that channel makes or breaks the customer experience. Good channel partners can overcome a lot of corporate idiocy and product issues; bad channel partners can't figure out how to give away free steak at a carnivore convention.

Based upon the drumbeat of complaints on here about dealer issues, and not to ignore some of the perplexing corporate behavior noted earlier in this thread, I think I'd wonder about strengthening that channel over just bringing in a new creative/marketing firm.

LifeLongRider
12-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Gotta believe that if any of the Japanese manufactures jumped into the Spyder vehicle concept, BRP would be doing a whole lot of advertising...

I'd love to see Honda develop a Spyder type vehicle with a GL1800 drive train, flat 6, DCT trans and shaft drive - I'd be one of the first standing in line to buy one (but I'm afraid it just ain't gonna happen :()

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-20-2019, 11:16 PM
I'd love to see Honda develop a Spyder type vehicle with a GL1800 drive train, flat 6, DCT trans and shaft drive - I'd be one of the first standing in line to buy one (but I'm afraid it just ain't gonna happen :()

They did show a prototype of the Neowing at the Tokyo Auto Show in 2015 but there is nothing on the Honda website about it now.

UtahPete
12-21-2019, 12:28 AM
Just another BRP bash. On 'SpyderLovers.com' no less.

Go figure...

ThreeWheels
12-21-2019, 12:43 AM

From Hannigan

RICZ
12-21-2019, 12:55 AM
I like that it has a front bumper. Wishing for one on my F3L.

SilverFox1
12-21-2019, 08:25 AM
Good lord!!! There’s a lot of marketing experts on here.

Big F
12-21-2019, 08:38 AM
I agree with all of the comments about how BRP does their marketing.. I feel another major problem/issue is with their dealer network.. Until BRP gets serious about who their dealers are AND makes them toe the line on their products, etc. they will continue to flounder with the products!!! we have a local BRP dealer that has ZERO Spyder gear for sale and when I see one of his display ads it never has a Spyder in the ad. Just all of the other bike brands, side by sides, etc. that they sell. so sad..
BIG F

imfleck
12-21-2019, 09:07 AM
BRP doesn't sell millions of these machines and maybe they don't have the marketing budget to promote their product as much as everyone would like. Also, is the market for these reverse trykes really THAT big? I don't think so.

ARtraveler
12-21-2019, 10:11 AM
I don't think its a "bashing." It is a good discussion that comes up from time to time. It is interesting to note the overall feelings expressed by many.

Not excited about the marketing dept and some of the things they do. Not excited about the dealership network. However, we continue to buy the product, because there is nothing else quite like it.

I am now on number six since they came out in 2008. Had the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. Have been with the product ever since.

PS. I used to teach a marketing class in college.

UtahPete
12-21-2019, 10:13 AM

My thoughts exactly.

ARtraveler
12-21-2019, 10:20 AM

As well as accountants, lawyers, and professors oh my. :roflblack:

ARtraveler
12-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Here is an example of some good marketing--IMO. From another current thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXOV9Abicg&feature=push-sd&attr_tag=z7jYNaqYdrnBuktj%3A6

It's about the Turbo Rotax 900.

Saluda
12-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Are we really surprised ?

PW2013STL
12-21-2019, 12:24 PM
To answer the OP first post. I would agree if these were production units.
Since these are prototypes I believe BRP doesn't want any potential buyers driving them as I am sure there are issues with them that they plan to fix before release.
If this is the case than it makes sense not to inform the dealer about the arrival time so that the dealer doesn't tell their customers who will come expecting to ride it.
They did have a ride with 4 customers, but I assume they were informed about any issues and the plan to fix them.

2dogs
12-21-2019, 01:29 PM

If this were to occur, your and my spyder's resale value would drop into the four figure realm. :-(

ARtraveler
12-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Now that is a possibility that I have not considered. :bowdown:

troop
12-22-2019, 09:24 AM
I'd like one in the sport touring realm. Kawasaki with a 1400 motor (or maybe a 1000cc) or Yamaha with a FJR sourced 1300.

2dogs
12-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Now that is a possibility that I have not considered. :bowdown:

There's generally a lag time between when a new product hits the market and when demand reaches its peak. With BRP's limited dealer network they are not in a good position to compete with Honda, Yamaha or other long time brands should anyone of them hit the market with a new trike. And, you know it's going to happen. If you own one of the trouble free spyders best thing to do possibly is ride it until dies of old age, then jump on a new one of your choice. There's going to be only a very small window in time to make the change over from a BRP product to one of the more reputable brands without losing your shirt regarding the value of your spyder. Worst case is, some dealers may not even take a spyder as a trade in, period.

RICZ
12-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Unless they were termed "prototypes" I believe the 4 2020 RTs to be pre-production models. I get car and bike magazines and quite often they are doing a write-up, but not an actual test, on a pre-production version of a brand new model. That way, the mfr gets the publicity for a new model that looks exactly like what the customer will later see in the showroom.

ARtraveler
12-22-2019, 02:05 PM
When Spyders first came out (2007)...the cycle mags test drove prototypes and they got dissed pretty much for things breaking down. I bought one anyway. :yes:

2dogs
12-22-2019, 02:49 PM
When Spyders first came out (2007)...the cycle mags test drove prototypes and they got dissed pretty much for things breaking down. I bought one anyway. :yes:

I took the same chance as you over a Harley. Close friend of mine chose the Harley and his trike has been sitting in his garage for over a year while he's been going through court battling with HD attorneys over the lemon law. Recently they reached a settlement but he's still stuck with the Harley that has a continuing issue for as long as he owns it. Hopefully some aftermarket antreprenour will come along with a solution. As far as my spyder goes, it's been down a couple of times and throws me a code every now and then but it's never left me stranded, yet. I have one ongoing issue with the automatic adjusting air ride system that BRP refuses to address. Luckily I purchased an additional warrantee, the longest one I could get. Hopefully the system will go totally fubar before the warrantee is up. Other than that, I'm good.

h0gr1der
12-22-2019, 04:47 PM
BRP doesn't sell millions of these machines and maybe they don't have the marketing budget to promote their product as much as everyone would like. Also, is the market for these reverse trykes really THAT big? I don't think so.

I think the market will naturally increase with the aging of motorcycle riding people. Like me, they will eventually become unable to ride 2 wheels, then they make the choice. Quit or go 3 wheels. Not too long ago trikes were almost entirely a custom proposition. Now they are in a few of the major brands as factory options. I think the market can increase for a few more years until all the old timers wrap it up completely.

Peter Aawen
12-22-2019, 06:45 PM
I think the [trike] market will naturally increase with the aging of motorcycle riding people. ....snip..... I think the market can increase for a few more years until all the old timers wrap it up completely.

Looking at the latest trends in sales figures, it's fairly evident this 'aging of the motorcycle buying public' is actually happening - millenials just aren't buying 2 wheel motorcycles, altho the growth in & developing capabilities of eBikes might see that change.... if you want to recognise/admit that the top performing eBikes are becoming more & more 'electric motorcycles' rather than 'lightly powered bicycles'!! ;)

But still, at least in the Western World, 2 wheeled motorcycles are becoming an anochronistic remnant of the 20th century, and their sales are dying as those of us who were born in the 20th century & not too averse to that degree of risk taking are dying off..... it's just that some of us are stubborn old bar-stewards and we are gonna keep our knees in the breeze for as long as we can, probably hoping to finally fall off the perch after a fantastic day of riding..... and that's where trikes come in. :ohyea: Still, there's no denying that it's a shrinking market that's gonna shrink faster as time progresses, so unless someone comes up with a real game-changer that'll attract heaps of younger buyers in (teens or twenty somethings!) then there's probably not gonna be too many manufacturers spending the $million$ required to break into it?! I really hope I'm wrong, but.... :dontknow:

And in the meantime, I'm gonna Ride More, Worry Less! :thumbup:

2dogs
12-23-2019, 02:18 PM
My wife is a supervisor in a business where many of her subordinate coworkers are millennials. In short, they are not risk takers and prefer to sit and sip coffee while talking to their friends via texting. About half of them don't even own cars. I hope I'm wrong too, but it seems as if they've been born into a society where everything they need or want is like a low hanging apple.

RICZ
12-23-2019, 03:05 PM
My wife is a supervisor in a business where many of her subordinate coworkers are millennials. In short, they are not risk takers and prefer to sit and sip coffee while talking to their friends via texting. About half of them don't even own cars. I hope I'm wrong too, but it seems as if they've been born into a society where everything they need or want is like a low hanging apple.
For over 4 decades I called on the food service industry and those I dealt with were at the top of the pyramid, owners or managers. They all had the same complaint about the younger crowd; they want a job but don't want to work. Most of their applications were scrawled and peppered with misspellings. Few dressed appropriately for the occasion. Most asked about days off and vacation before anything else.
My take is this is the result of never being taught that there are consequences for bad acts and continually being rewarded and awarded.
P.S. I just received an email from the AMA that a gov't department is going to place a tariff on imported motorcycles, parts and accessories again because of a tiff with airplane subsidies. What with MC sale falling, that's like kicking a man when he's down.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-23-2019, 03:41 PM
My take is this is the result of never being taught that there are consequences for bad acts and continually being rewarded and awarded.
Time to watch this again!!!

https://youtu.be/hLpE1Pa8vvI

Rob Rodriguez
12-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Time to watch this again!!!

https://youtu.be/hLpE1Pa8vvI

It's important to note I think......................Millenials are the way they are because of their parents and upbringing. Someone should do a song about them.

Jetfixer
12-23-2019, 04:48 PM
To answer the OP first post. I would agree if these were production units.
Since these are prototypes I believe BRP doesn't want any potential buyers driving them as I am sure there are issues with them that they plan to fix before release.
If this is the case than it makes sense not to inform the dealer about the arrival time so that the dealer doesn't tell their customers who will come expecting to ride it.
They did have a ride with 4 customers, but I assume they were informed about any issues and the plan to fix them.

I would fully understand if a BRP rep said that potential customers can't take it for a ride. But after hearing first hand from folks who were there., the red prototype was at the recent Florida rally and attendees were allowed to sit on it. That's really all I would have asked for if there was advance knowledge of the machine being nearby. And yes, according to the salesman I talked to that was allowed to ride it, there are some issues to be resolved. For instance, he said the blue one had a frunk full of water!