PDA

View Full Version : Can am spyder exhaust internal view from RLS EXHAUST

RLS Exhaust
12-20-2019, 01:02 AM
I made a small video to show what you have inside your primary muffler or catalytic converter
consider RLS Exhaust if you decide to do Custom Exhaust or a cat delete if your looking for more sound and power
Help support small business save $75 on polished cat delete pipes until Dec.25th
at rlsexhaust.com use coupon code: Catdeletepipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlzThk1IuY

Chasinsparks
12-20-2019, 02:11 AM
Great video.

RLS Exhaust
12-20-2019, 02:18 AM
Thank you

PMK
12-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Not RLS, but this was a 1330 RT series exhaust muffler I was throwing away. Cut it open and shared the photos a few weeks ago.

Rickster48
12-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Nice video. Have a cutout of your muffler that shows the differences?

Thanks!

h0gr1der
12-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Not RLS, but this was a 1330 RT series exhaust muffler I was throwing away. Cut it open and shared the photos a few weeks ago.

No wonder that thing weighs so much. I took mine off an immediately though if I could get a muffler that quietened the Spyder down as much, but weighed only half, I could probably pick up a mile or two per gallon. Anyone know of such an item?

RICZ
12-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Thanks both for the video and photos of what is inside our cats and mufflers. Hoo Boy, the exhaust must be exhausted after having to make such a long trip through those devices and out the end.

RICZ
12-20-2019, 03:53 PM
I made a small video to show what you have inside your primary muffler or catalytic converter
Any videos or photos showing a cutaway of your cat delete?

RLS Exhaust
12-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Great pictures i was going to do that next !

RICZ
12-20-2019, 10:07 PM
I had a lot of questions for RLS, involving several emails. He graciously answered each one. Not wanting more noise, but less restriction, I took advantage of his discount and ordered his cat delete. He sez, no more noise, but a throatier sound. Nice.
Incidentally, that video and PMK's cutaway photos are what got me off my dime.
Now to get me a spring puller tool.

PMK
12-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Great pictures i was going to do that next !

I have more photos and the entire cutaway muffler is still sitting outside in the recycle bin. Ironically, a lot of engineering was considered by someone when designing that chambered muffler.

Not sure why people insist I modified our muffler on our 14 RTS. It is certainly more throaty with bark compared to others. Ours has been running a non baffled bypass pipe, and compared to the same exhaust setup on others, certainly does sound meaner.

sledman
12-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Thank you

Do you have a weight comparison between your 1330 cat delete and the factory cat?

PMK
12-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Do you have a weight comparison between your 1330 cat delete and the factory cat?

Not Ricky from RLS, but we run another brand of bypass pipe without a resonator. Would guess there is close to 10 pounds difference compared to oem 1330 type on the RT series.

The muffler I cut open is a pig. However it is quiet and durable.

Navydad
12-21-2019, 11:45 AM
I would like a throatier sound, but not a droning sound at speed. As far as the weight is concerned I couldn't care less. I don't plan on dragging the thing up a flight a stairs every night.

Sputter
12-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Quite an amazing piece of engineering! Interesting how the cooling of gasses make those even work, but they do.

RICZ
12-21-2019, 01:29 PM
It turns out that RLS furnishes the spring puller too.
I do like the concept of the resonator for expansion and cooling and he add a perforated baffle for silencing.

308gunner
12-21-2019, 04:27 PM
If you were to add a Monster Fuel or DynoJet fuel tune combined with the RLS exhaust...your Spyder will come alive!!!

RICZ
12-21-2019, 04:54 PM
If you were to add a Monster Fuel or DynoJet fuel tune combined with the RLS exhaust...your Spyder will come alive!!!
I'll have to look into that. Is doing either one very involved? Require dyno tuning?

Phenix
12-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Is just the polished on sale? I really wanted the ceramic coating for the heat reduction.

Phenix
12-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Not able to use discount code

RICZ
12-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Yup, it's just the polished one. Maybe if you email and ask nice, he might cave. It's worth the try. Yeah, you'd want the ceramic coating living where you do. I'm in a moderate climate, so it's not needed here.

308gunner
12-23-2019, 04:40 PM
I'll have to look into that. Is doing either one very involved? Require dyno tuning?
Neither is very involved.. neither require Dyno tuning...

PMK
12-23-2019, 04:50 PM

Then again, if you buy a sportbike, it will accelerate harder, stop better and turn on rails. Even with the ECU tweaked, the pounds per horsepower if not outstanding.

308gunner
12-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Then again, if you buy a sportbike, it will accelerate harder, stop better and turn on rails. Even with the ECU tweaked, the pounds per horsepower if not outstanding.

some people are not able to ride a sport bike anymore..but would still like to ride something with more life in it ..the ECU tune provides that...this is a three wheel spyder forum..

Revalden
12-24-2019, 08:47 PM
What is the muffler pipe size on the 2015 RT 1330?

PMK
12-27-2019, 06:45 AM

Just scrolling through an earlier post from Dennis In Lodi. Was interesting to read he has apparently gotten away from aftermarket exhausts and is even undoing the airbox mod for increased airflow, ultimately wanting less intake and exhaust sound while keeping the mapping change.

If and when the costs for a Dynojet setup or Monster, or even maybe another company gets more reasonably priced, then could be a time to consider it. Seeing costs of over $500 is a bit much. Thought there was another company doing the upgrade for $150.

PMK
12-27-2019, 06:56 AM
some people are not able to ride a sport bike anymore..but would still like to ride something with more life in it ..the ECU tune provides that...this is a three wheel spyder forum..

Agree, some are not able to ride sport bikes. Not sure how much horsepower your tuned Spyder is able to produce, so far, none of the tuning companies have posted that data gained from dyno runs. Yes, it is a Spyder forum, but understand also, some of us will use other vehicles, maybe cars or motorcycles, to grasp excitement, knowing the Spyder is not a racer, or fully tuned machine as delivered.

Years ago, I was a huge proponent that BRP should deliver the Spyder with more HP. Not to make it a racer, but simply, to push it through the air better when overtaking other vehicles on the highway. Having learned the lack of power, and requirements needed at highway speeds, I now use more of a get a run to pass method to punch through the wall of air coming off a truck or bus or RV front end.

PMK
12-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Agree, some are not able to ride sport bikes. Not sure how much horsepower your tuned Spyder is able to produce, so far, none of the tuning companies have posted that data gained from dyno runs. Yes, it is a Spyder forum, but understand also, some of us will use other vehicles, maybe cars or motorcycles, to grasp excitement, knowing the Spyder is not a racer, or fully tuned machine as delivered.

Years ago, I was a huge proponent that BRP should deliver the Spyder with more HP. Not to make it a racer, but simply, to push it through the air better when overtaking other vehicles on the highway. Having learned the lack of power, and requirements needed at highway speeds, I now use more of a get a run to pass method to punch through the wall of air coming off a truck or bus or RV front end.

Monster is stating these engines only make 90hp as delivered, but will make the rated / claimed horsepower BRP advertises of 115hp if you have your ecu modified. If stock is only 90hp, the marketing guys seem to have been very optimistic at 115hp. At a guess, Rotax builds a 115 hp setup if the throttle is allowed to fully open. Likely, Can Am derated the hp via limiting the throttle, advertised as 115 but sold a 90hp setup.

https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder

PMK
12-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Anyone have info on if Monster is doing the Dynojet Power Commander setup / mods to be utilized on the Can Am 1330 Spyders? Their website shows they are modifying and using Dynojet products, just not sure if they are offering it for Spyders.

https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/fuel-tuners