PDA

View Full Version : Limp home mode 2017 F3L - Update: Fixed (I hope!)

Dray
12-19-2019, 11:58 AM
OK, so here I set as the owner of a 2017 F3L with 20,000 + miles and it now rest in a spyder shop
a little bit broke. Couple of weeks ago I got a message saying for me to limp home which I did. Being
a old hot rodder I spent several days trying to determine what could be wrong. No luck at all on that.
The limp home message did go away but I had a noise coming from the engine area. To the shop it
went. Wednesday brought the message that the front drive belt pulley was bad and needed to be replaced.
Amazing, 20K miles and a drive pulley is bad. May the Lord bless me for the thoughts that past thru
my head. Hopefully things will go good now. If not, a new RT or Goldwing will be setting here.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Dray

CopperSpyder
12-19-2019, 12:18 PM
That is an odd one for sure. But hopefully its still under warrantee. Merry Christmas And I wish you a great year ahead. Live to Ride, Ride to Live :2thumbs:

JKMSPYDER
12-19-2019, 01:08 PM
The limp home has nothing to do with the front pulley. That is a separate issue. The front pulleys on all F3 models have been prone to failure because the hard drive shaft wears away the teeth on the pulley. It is an easy fix at your dealer and should be covered under warranty. BRP has not been able or willing to come up with a harder metal for the pulley. My front pulley has been replaced twice.

Big Arm
12-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Agree.....Limp home, whole different problem...
Just replaced mine this summer, but the cause was from drag racing at Spyderfest. Replaced the pulley, the bolt and washer for $120 from cheapcycleparts.com. Torqued to 92lbs, but mine is an '08 GS.

JayBros
12-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Did the shop tell you anything about pulling codes from the vehicle using B.U.D.S.?

Dray
12-19-2019, 03:13 PM
BUDs did not show any codes at all. The dealer is a friend and I do not believe he is messing with me.
I will give him a call just to double check.
Thanks everyone!!

Dray

Dray
01-06-2020, 01:31 PM
So on Tuesday I went and picked up my 2017 F3L. Took it out for a road test and everything went very well.
Loaded it up on my trailer, went and paid my bill. Had a good chat with the tech and he had double checked
and verified that there were NO messages. There were some software upgrades done. Oil, filter and Tranny filter
were changed out. Got home and went for a 50 mile trip. The bike does run smoother, revs easier and seems
to have a tad more power. A happy camper am I. Brought the bad drive gear home and it had rounded burrs
on end of small splines. There were worn areas around the flange that was caused by gear movement and drive
belt. They have not received their 2020 bikes yet. We are waiting to see. I have made several changes to my 2017
that I am happy with so changing to a 2020 will take some thinking on my part. My wife does like the pics she has seen
and told me to get it. Time will tell,

Dray

Dray
01-06-2020, 05:06 PM
O.K., here I am again. I picked my bike up ( Friday, not Tuesday-old age maybe) and took it
out Saturday for a short ride and everything was good (ha). Went down to shop today to clean the
bike and polish some chrome. Woe is me because the belt on the rear drive pulley is riding about
1/2" off the inside flange and hanging off the pulley. so tomorrow I will call the cycle place and take
it back to get it fixed. Wife just walked by and said go get a 2020 RT or a Goldwing.

Dray

Highwayman2013
01-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Sounds like a simple belt adjustment. You also should ask them to check the front drive pulley, some have failed.

CopperSpyder
01-06-2020, 05:34 PM
I think your wife is right, If my wife said that Wow 2020 RTL would be in my future!! :2thumbs:

Dray
01-07-2020, 08:55 AM
Front pulley was bad and was replaced. Tech did not do the alignment procedure.
Amazing to me.

Dray

Dray
01-10-2020, 01:31 PM
Well, the outside edge of belt had the rubber worn off right down to bright polished medal. New belt should
be in today and hopefully I get the bike back tomorrow or Tuesday. waiting for him to get in the 2020's. He
did order one in my favorite red color.

Dray

Rattlebars
01-14-2020, 04:31 AM
Here's a treat

https://youtu.be/0_Ewxr7qwqo

Dray
01-14-2020, 11:53 AM
I never thought that this would become so involved. I took the bike back to the shop and the work begin.
Reset everything to good, drove it, belt moved over. Research time !! New belt and same problem. Research
again and pulled rear tire and the problem was discovered. One axle wheel bearing was pretty much locked
up and the other one was well on its way to locking down. I tend to believe that when I had the car tire installed
the bearings were torqued down to tight and this caused the problem. Hopefully everything is fixed. New front
pulley, new belt and two new rear axle bearings. Hopefully there is a 2020 RT in my future. Time will tell.

Dray

RICZ
01-14-2020, 12:04 PM
Year, mileage and model would help to fill us in.

Big Arm
01-14-2020, 12:10 PM
I hope you changed three bearings

Rattlebars
01-14-2020, 12:28 PM
If the spacer #32 or spacer #12 is missing the problem will happen again quickly. 2 #33 and one #34 double.

ARtraveler
01-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Profile says: 2017 F3L

PMK
01-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Agree that if all spacers are installed, meaning correctly installed, it is not truly possible to over tighten the axle and crush the bearings. In theory though, if someone tightened it way over spec it might crush the spacer, but that seems kind of remote. Pretty certain the cast light alloy adjusters would crush before crushing the steel spacers and bearings.

Interesting though.

RICZ
01-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Profile says: 2017 F3L
Dumb question.....I don't see that. Do I need Some Flash Gordon x-ray vision glasses? :)

ARtraveler
01-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Dumb question.....I don't see that. Do I need Some Flash Gordon x-ray vision glasses? :)

Click on the person's name. Click on "view profile." It will take you to their "home" page. Click on the "About Me" tab. There is usually a description of current rides.

BajaRon
01-14-2020, 05:28 PM
I've got bad knees. I've been in 'Limp Mode' for years. Maybe getting hooked up to BUDS!?

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-14-2020, 07:43 PM
After reading the other responses and possibilities, I'm inclined to think maybe the biggest issue is the Tech who worked on your Spyder ….. hope it was under warranty ….. jmho …. and if the dealer claims it was the auto tire that caused the problem - I would run from that Dealer …. Mike :ohyea:

BajaRon
01-15-2020, 12:03 AM
After reading the other responses and possibilities, I'm inclined to think maybe the biggest issue is the Tech who worked on your Spyder ….. hope it was under warranty ….. jmho …. and if the dealer claims it was the auto tire that caused the problem - I would run from that Dealer …. Mike :ohyea:

I really wish dealerships would just go with the truth and let the chips fall where they may. BRP dealership told me my aftermarket cruise control destroyed my DPS! Seriously?! My 1st DPS was DOA! That's why it took me so long to realize it was bad. It never worked so I did not notice any change. They could accuse me of being ignorant. But my adding cruise control had nothing to do with an already dead DPS. I am still wondering where they pulled that advise from.

Rattlebars
01-15-2020, 01:50 PM
I really wish dealerships would just go with the truth and let the chips fall where they may. BRP dealership told me my aftermarket cruise control destroyed my DPS! Seriously?! My 1st DPS was DOA! That's why it took me so long to realize it was bad. It never worked so I did not notice any change. They could accuse me of being ignorant. But my adding cruise control had nothing to do with an already dead DPS. I am still wondering where they pulled that advise from.

It is common to include the first mention of an acronym in a text be fully written out after which the acronym itself can be used freely. Excuse my failing to know what a DPS is. Thanks. :dontknow:

Peter Aawen
01-15-2020, 03:59 PM
DPS = Dynamic Power Steering :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
01-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Year, mileage and model would help to fill us in.

Original post heading says 2017 F3L

Cruzr Joe

BajaRon
01-15-2020, 04:50 PM
It is common to include the first mention of an acronym in a text be fully written out after which the acronym itself can be used freely. Excuse my failing to know what a DPS is. Thanks. :dontknow:

English was never my strong point. DPS Dynamic Power Steering (Unit). About $1,500.00 in parts and $300.00 labor to install.

Rattlebars
01-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Thanks Ron...

Dray
01-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Well, the saga continues!! Talked to the shop on Saturday and boy are we having fun!! It seems that upon
trying to remove the rear wheel bearings, one had pretty much welded itself to the axle. So new axle and bushings are
now on order along with the bearings. I did not realize that the axle was just a steel tube and not a solid piece
of steel. Live and learn. Waiting for the 2020 RT's to arrive.

As my wife just said "hobbies can be expensive" !!! She is a wise woman.

Dray

ARtraveler
01-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Many are looking forward to information about the 2020's. The upside, we should be hearing before to long. It will soon be February. :thumbup:

Dray
01-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Limped Home - FIXED FINALLY
The bike is home and fixed (I be hopeful) for a $1500 check. There were no messages buried they could find but a couple of software
upgrades were done. The bike runs excellent. The changes were: a new front pulley (worn and loose), new belt (medal showing and had a
rock embedded), new axle bearings and spacers (the large bearing was totally locked up and the other was going that way) and
a brand new axle (old axle had severe wear places and gouges). I generally take a couple of good trips a year so I am lucky that this was
all found while I was at home. The 2020 bikes have not been delivered and he has no ship dates. I will bide my time and ride what I have.
Thanks all for listening to my tale of woe. My wife politely explained that hobbies could be expensive. Love that woman!!

Dray