PDA

View Full Version : Okay, is it me or the Spyder?

glynnk
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I've got 3,000 plus miles on my 2009 SM5 and I still can't seem to get smooth shifts like on my old Harley and Nomad. The shifting seems to be "clunkee" going through the gears. I don't know if it's my throttle, clutching or toe shifts that aren't balanced. I've noticed that the shifting seems to be smoother when I've just started up and driven a short distance. Does anybody else seem to have this same concern? Am I doing something wrong or is it a Spyder thing? Or....am I just being anal?

GlynnK

BeRight
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I've been the owner of several motorcycles and the Spyder shifts the same/similar to me. Down shifting into 1st gives " loud clunk sound," which is the same as my other bikes. All other shifting is smooth.:dontknow:

BLACK WIDOW
07-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I've got 3,000 plus miles on my 2009 SM5 and I still can't seem to get smooth shifts like on my old Harley and Nomad. The shifting seems to be "clunkee" going through the gears. I don't know if it's my throttle, clutching or toe shifts that aren't balanced. I've noticed that the shifting seems to be smoother when I've just started up and driven a short distance. Does anybody else seem to have this same concern? Am I doing something wrong or is it a Spyder thing? Or....am I just being anal?

GlynnK

Shifts smoother than my GL 1800 Goldwing; and that isn't to bad.:doorag:

bone crusher
07-22-2009, 10:26 PM

GlynnK

You're being anal but a lot of us here are as well!

The bike prefers to go through the gears rather quickly...what is this called??...something to do with the gear ratio...

Anyway, because of this, it is sensitive to what gear you're in and out of...sometimes, if I accelerate fast enough, I'll skip a gear...same with deceleration...

I usually use the feel of the bike as my indicator for what gear I am in...this helps avoid clunky gear shifts.

I also smooth the throttle with the shifts...

QuadManiac
07-23-2009, 12:39 AM
"Smoother when you've just started" is due to the oil being cold and more viscous, absorbing the shock between the shift dogs. As it warms up, it thins some and the play between the dogs is more noticeable - the "clunk".

gazey
07-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Mine (SM5) shifts smooth as silk. I get the occasional clunky shift but I know thats just me. I've had a few four wheelers and I think the Spyder is smoother than any of them. None of them had a clutch lever though.

fastfraser
07-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Do you think because BRP is using a blended oil instead of a full synthetic oil that could and would cause ruff shifting :dontknow:

jeuchler
07-23-2009, 05:45 AM

GlynnK

I don't mean to be silly here, GlynnK, but is there another Spyderowner anywhere near you whose ride you can try for purposes of comparison?

davepick
07-23-2009, 07:27 AM

GlynnK

The shift should be pretty smooth, certainly smoother than your Harley. First gear is always a bit clunky on anything but from there on up it should be smooth. If you've riden Harleys and the Nomad for a while then i doubt the problem is you - I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

Bersquack
07-23-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't mean to be silly here, GlynnK, but is there another Spyderowner anywhere near you whose ride you can try for purposes of comparison?

:agree: If you can try another spyder that could help.

Roaddog2
07-23-2009, 08:05 AM
The shift should be pretty smooth, certainly smoother than your Harley. First gear is always a bit clunky on anything but from there on up it should be smooth. If you've riden Harleys and the Nomad for a while then i doubt the problem is you - I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out.:agree:and still staying with synthectic oil and not using new blend.I shifted alot of things Mack Freightliners Peterbuilts Harleys Suzikis other than first gear clunk wich is normal on any bike :spyder:is as smooth as a Baby's :cus: I would try a different blend of oil and riding another :spyder:good suggestion also :thumbup::ohyea:I don't think it is you :ani29:

DynamoBT
07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Lucky for me I just got my 3000 mile oil change done at the dealer and they had full synthetic still available. I'm not sure they would put in oil that I brought in for them to use. Anyway, shifting is smooth as silk on the Spyder. I often put in a clutchless shift sort of semi unintentionally. If the RPM is correct, the gears change very easily.

sabunim5
07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I've been the owner of several motorcycles and the Spyder shifts the same/similar to me. Down shifting into 1st gives " loud clunk sound," which is the same as my other bikes. All other shifting is smooth.:dontknow:
+1

RodO
07-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I was thinking to myself last night that the Spyder is very smooth shifting.

Downshifting into 1st has a clunk but I actually like to hear/feel that to know when I'm in 1st if I'm not wanting to check the read-out. I have sometimes inadvertently only gone from 2nd to N and that is clunk-free so I know I've got to keep downshifting.

YMMV,
Rod.

DannyS
07-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Most bikes have a square cut gear in first this is why most bikes clunk in first and are sometimes hard to get into first. The rest of the gears use tapered gears. The square cut are stronger and that is why they are used in first. They also seem to whine more because of the square cut gear. The trick is to unload the gear as you shift just a quick cut on the throttle will cause a slight backlash of the gear allowing it to shift easer. I really don't use the chop myself after 40 years of Harley clunks I don't even notice it. The Spyder is one of the snappiest bike I have driven. The shifting is very precise I have never had a hang shift(false natural caused by the gears not engaging. And I have never had it slide past the next gear so you go up two gears or down two gears instead of one. My Spyder does have a very hair trigger clutch but I got used to it in only a few days. Of course I have driven baggers, sport bike and you name it so I have had to adapt a lot.:spyder:

glynnk
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
The suggestions about riding another Spyder makes sense. I'll see if I can't do that. For clarification, the "clunking" I'm talking about is up shifting...1st to 2nd, etc. What's in the Spyder is the standard BRP oil; do I need to go to something else?

GlynnK

bjt
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
The suggestions about riding another Spyder makes sense. I'll see if I can't do that. For clarification, the "clunking" I'm talking about is up shifting...1st to 2nd, etc. What's in the Spyder is the standard BRP oil; do I need to go to something else?

GlynnK

The stock Spyder oil works fine. First thing is to determine if yours is louder than normal and then take it from there.