PDA

View Full Version : H9 Bulb cable "piggyback" adapter

askitee
12-07-2019, 05:40 AM
Not sure of its true name, but I have seen it referred to as a PiggyBack Adapter. One end plugs into the harness H9 socket for the high beam headlight bulb and the other plugs onto the bulb itself and there's 2 more wires that you run to a relay.

I have been able to find them for other sizes but not H9. Has anyone seen them and could point me to someone that sells them online (I'm in Australia)

Mikey
12-07-2019, 07:16 AM
I bet one of the vendors can hook you up!! A few of them make there own wiring harness for there products! Shoot them a email or PM

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-07-2019, 09:54 AM
What is it used for? To power some other item when the bulb is lit?

Navydad
12-07-2019, 10:39 AM
If you can find the harness for an H11 you can modify the H9 bulb easily to fit the socket. Popular trick with Toyota Tacoma owners.
Upper tab removed with small knife or whatever tool you prefer. Tab in place on left and removed on the right,

askitee
12-07-2019, 06:42 PM
What is it used for? To power some other item when the bulb is lit?

Correct to power some Baha Design LED driving lights. I'm not keen to tap into the harness for the line to the relay, and saw a H4 version of these at one of the local autopart stores howver the staff said they hadn't seen them for other bulb types.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-08-2019, 12:07 AM
Correct to power some Baha Design LED driving lights. I'm not keen to tap into the harness for the line to the relay, and saw a H4 version of these at one of the local autopart stores howver the staff said they hadn't seen them for other bulb types.
Take the easy route. Buy an H9 harness extension and tap into it. They're cheap, less than $10. You'll accomplish what you want without tapping into the OEM harness. Or is your concern simply related to tapping regardless of where you do so? Strip some insulation off the wires, solder them together, and then coat with Liquid Tape and shrink tubing. Be just as good, or better, than any factory assembly. That's what I did to modify the headlight wiring to install a modulator.

askitee
12-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Take the easy route. Buy an H9 harness extension and tap into it. They're cheap, less than $10. You'll accomplish what you want without tapping into the OEM harness. Or is your concern simply related to tapping regardless of where you do so? Strip some insulation off the wires, solder them together, and then coat with Liquid Tape and shrink tubing. Be just as good, or better, than any factory assembly. That's what I did to modify the headlight wiring to install a modulator.

My RTL is still under warranty and I don't want to give the dealerships any reason to blame any mods.

This could be plan B.

jiffy
12-08-2019, 07:42 PM
MUYI connectors and pigtails on Amazon. Build whatever you want.

seaweed
12-08-2019, 08:07 PM
..... That's what I did to modify the headlight wiring to install a modulator.

So are you modulating your LED headlights or other LED lights? Do you have a link to buying the modulator? Thanks!

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-08-2019, 09:07 PM
So are you modulating your LED headlights or other LED lights? Do you have a link to buying the modulator? Thanks!
Right, headlights. They're LED bulbs from TricLED. This is the Kisan modulator I used https://kisantech.com/p115w-h3.html. They don't have it in plug n play. Now that I think about it it wasn't the harness extension above that I used. I made two extensions using 5 pin connectors like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seal-Kits-Automotive-HID-Plug-Car-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-With-Wire/293353148031?hash=item444d35ce7f:m:mFFN3JrnJWS9G7E NX7Uk1jA. The modulator is in the power line to the bulb and modulates both high and low beam.

I can provide more details later if you want.

askitee
12-09-2019, 02:47 AM
MUYI connectors and pigtails on Amazon. Build whatever you want.

I must be having a boy look. I've tried 3 searches (H9 Piggy Back, MUYI, H9 Adapter) on Amazon turns up many things but not the thing I need.

askitee
12-09-2019, 02:48 AM

No, just wanting tap into the hi beam circuit with a manufactured adapter to run to my relay that is powering my driving lights

askitee
12-09-2019, 02:52 AM
Right, headlights. They're LED bulbs from TricLED. This is the Kisan modulator I used https://kisantech.com/p115w-h3.html. They don't have it in plug n play. Now that I think about it it wasn't the harness extension above that I used. I made two extensions using 5 pin connectors like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seal-Kits-Automotive-HID-Plug-Car-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-With-Wire/293353148031?hash=item444d35ce7f:m:mFFN3JrnJWS9G7E NX7Uk1jA. The modulator is in the power line to the bulb and modulates both high and low beam.

I can provide more details later if you want.

Thanks IdahoMtnSpyder, its not a modulator I am after, but they do have some interesting gear though Electronics to ... vaudville glove?

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks IdahoMtnSpyder, its not a modulator I am after, but they do have some interesting gear though Electronics to ... vaudville glove?

Seaweed was asking about the modulator.