View Full Version : This is a crazy question, fishing for opinions

Motorcycledave
12-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Hi Everyone.....
Good ole Dave here 177545

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14, old enough at that time to get a
Drivers Lic. I will be 78 soon.
My entire motorcycling life I have when someone asks I say and always have said
I ride motorcycles, and I drive cars & trucks.
I have noticed for several years folks say they DRIVE their Spyder some do say Ride
What do you do
Ride or Drive yours.....
In California, the Spyder is not considered a motorcycle, you do not need a motorcycle lic.
to ride one. the DMV says it is an Autocycle your regular operators lic. is all you need.
So do you DRIVE yours
or do you RIDE yours...
Just wondering
Dave

seaweed
12-06-2019, 01:03 PM
A few may say that they drive theirs, some may say that they ride theirs. But I RYDE mine.

EdMat
12-06-2019, 01:05 PM
When it's between your legs you're riding it. If you are setting chair like on your butt you're driving it.

CopperSpyder
12-06-2019, 01:17 PM
It's a Motorcycle in PA. and you need a Motorcycle License or permit to operate one. I enjoy Riding my Spyder when ever I can.

BajaRon
12-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Very simple rule of thumb.

If you are ON it, you are RIDING IT.

If you are IN IT, you are DRIVING IT.

ARtraveler
12-06-2019, 01:56 PM
I'm a "driver" of all my bikes. I still call the :f_spider: a bike.

Navydad
12-06-2019, 02:11 PM
I have to say I ride mine because of all the upper body leaning and moving from side to side on the seat that I do in the twisties. No way I can do that in my truck. You need an MC license in Ohio to ride a Spyder or Trike.

pegasus1300
12-06-2019, 02:11 PM
I agree with the between the legs you are riding it crowd. After years on horses and motorcycles I am riding when I sit on it and driving when I sit in it

So Ride on Dave and enjoy. BTW that foot of yours need to heal soon, you have too much time on your hands. Ride more(when you are healed ) worry less.

bushrat
12-06-2019, 02:42 PM
I subscribe to the answers of both seaweed and Edmat, and also BajaRon/pegasus1300. If you are astride your machine (i.e., one leg on each side of your motive power plant), you are a rider, just as if you are on a horse. That's where the term originated. If you're in a buggy, wagon or sleigh pulled by a horse, you are a driver. As for California's definition or concept of what an "autocycle" is, perhaps those state officials should recall that "autocycles" or "cycle cars" of a century ago mostly were operated with a steering wheel, or a tiller, not by handlebars (see photos). Perhaps a Slingshot qualifies as an "autocycle"; but IMHO, a Spyder is a 3-wheeled motorcycle and is always ridden, never driven. The type of driver's license qualification a jurisdiction requires in order to lawfully operate is entirely another matter. The fact that my G-class "driver's" (i.e., operator's) licence also has attached to it an M-class qualification for me to ride motorcycles (whether 2 or 3 wheels), doesn't mean I am a "driver" when I climb aboard one. There were separate operator tests for each qualification. On a motorcycle, I'm a rider, or in the case of my Spyder, a "ryder". Long may it ever be!!!

jbim
12-06-2019, 02:44 PM
My F3L replaced my BWM motorcycle. So I ride it.

J

Big F
12-06-2019, 02:56 PM
I agree with most of the replies. we are RIDERS and not drivers! do you ask your mate if she wants to go for a drive or a ride on your Spyder???????? duh??
and as we all say, it's all about the RIDE!!

BIG F
co-founder of NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders)
Note: we are ryders and/or riders and nothing else.. :-)

SpyderJerry
12-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Wisconsin just changed the law on 3 wheel units. Anything with a steering wheel and seats that you sit on is an autocycle. Which now is a yearly $45.00 registration. Anything that you stradle and has handlebars is a motorcycle. Which at this time is $23.00 every 2 years.

Motorcycledave
12-06-2019, 03:03 PM
I do agree with you, an ole buddy of mine from the MG Car Club has an old 3 wheeled Morgan
he says he Drives it....Just a side note on the drivers Lic. In California..... ANY 3 wheeled vehicle that
is legal to operate on the roads and hiways even a motorcycle with a side car only requires a regular
operators lic. no motorcycle endorsement required.

I subscribe to the answers of both seaweed and Edmat, and also BajaRon/pegasus1300. If you are astride your machine (i.e., one leg on each side of your motive power plant), you are a rider, just as if you are on a horse. That's where the term originated. If you're in a buggy, wagon or sleigh pulled by a horse, you are a driver. As for California's definition or concept of what an "autocycle" is, perhaps those state officials should recall that "autocycles" or "cycle cars" of a century ago mostly were operated with a steering wheel, or a tiller, not by handlebars (see photos). Perhaps a Slingshot qualifies as an "autocycle"; but IMHO, a Spyder is a 3-wheeled motorcycle and is always ridden, never driven. The type of driver's license qualification a jurisdiction requires in order to lawfully
operate is entirely another matter. The fact that my G-class "driver's" (i.e., operator's) licence also includes M-class qualification for me to ride motorcycles (whether 2 or 3 wheels), doesn't mean I am a "driver" when I climb aboard one. There were separate operator tests for each qualification. On a motorcycle, I'm a rider, or in the case of my Spyder, a "ryder". Long may it ever be!!!

Sputter
12-06-2019, 04:06 PM
RIDE!!!:spyder2:

askitee
12-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Hi Everyone.....
Good ole Dave here 177545

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14, old enough at that time to get a
Drivers Lic. I will be 78 soon.
So do you DRIVE yours
or do you RIDE yours...
Just wondering
Dave

I wish I knew. I even find myself interchanging between "ride" and "drive". Here in the Land Down Under they have varying classifications depending on the state, but in mine (New South Wales) they are MC's requiring an MC license.

I have decided that what ever its meant to be called is superfluous - its juts bloody good fun!!!

Grandpaspeed
12-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Ride it never drive it.

Gwolf
12-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Very simple rule of thumb.

If you are ON it, you are RIDING IT.

If you are IN IT, you are DRIVING IT.

Right........... and if it a piece of equipment, loader, tractor, bulldozer, whatever.........

If you know what you are doing, you are an operator.

If you don't, you are a driver.

Jaxfann
12-06-2019, 08:12 PM
RYDE - period!

DGoebel
12-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Handlebars = Ride, Steering wheel = Drive, bars = cycle (bike, motorcycle, trike, heck even quads) Wheel = Car or whatever some of those states want to call them (whoever thought AutoCycle was a real word, it's Auto or Cycle, but if it's got a Steering Wheel it's an Auto. Rant off, gonna go now.......

PW2013STL
12-07-2019, 12:16 AM
Good question?
When 2 people are on it are both riders, and if so who's driving it?

Gwolf
12-07-2019, 01:51 AM
Good question?
When 2 people are on it are both riders, and if so who's driving it?

Nope, the one on the passenger pillion is a passenger. You will see it on the release forms and sign up forms for most any sponsored rides.

The one at the controls is the operator.

pieman9155
12-07-2019, 04:43 AM
I drive my truck i ride my spyder

Little Blue
12-07-2019, 04:52 AM
:agree: Most people just don't know. We (Spyder Ryders) know that riding is the Spyder Lifestyle. So we ryde our Spyders.......:thumbup:

Saluda
12-07-2019, 10:56 AM
I enjoy it !!! ;)

pjp623
12-07-2019, 11:38 AM
If you straddle it you're riding, if you sit upright with you feet on the floor--like in a chair position--you're driving.
I ride my horse, I drive my buggy.

KenF
12-07-2019, 01:19 PM
I agree, always ride the Spyder and drive my truck. Here in Washington St. you are even required to have a three wheel endorsement on DL to operate one. three wheel endorsement is separate from two wheel MC endorsement. If you ride both, you have to have both.

Lew L
12-07-2019, 01:53 PM
RYDE the :spyder2:---- Fly low on the V-Max: :2thumbs:

MonPaul
12-07-2019, 07:09 PM
As you can see, this board likes crazy questions!
As I see it, if it has a steering wheel I drive it - if not I ride it.

Mikey
12-07-2019, 07:56 PM
If you straddle it you're riding, if you sit upright with you feet on the floor--like in a chair position--you're driving.
I ride my horse, I drive my buggy.

:roflblack:Ya that,s what I was thinking!!!

iridenow
12-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Look at my name. :yes:

ARtraveler
12-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Okay. You all have me convinced. I will start rydeing my motorcycles and leave the driving to my car. :bowdown: :bowdown: :firstplace:

Gwolf
12-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Yeah.............. uh.........

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/700/0/uploads/articles/honda_ev-ster_twin-lever_steer-548b1f7830439.jpg

ARtraveler
12-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Yeah.............. uh.........

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/700/0/uploads/articles/honda_ev-ster_twin-lever_steer-548b1f7830439.jpg

Based on the no steering wheel argument, I would "ride" this one. :yes: :roflblack: