PDA

View Full Version : Software update for power steering ??

Stuart49
07-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Does anyone know exactly what this software update does?

I already changed my GPS (myself) after having a few really scary power steering 'burps' a few months ago. The part number molded into my original sensor was the same as the new one. This was surprising as my Spyder is an 'early delivery' model - #445. I thought mine would certainly have the older sensor.

In any case I've had no steering issues since changing this sensor, but I think about it every time I get on the highway! This is NOT relaxing, and not acceptible!

I am very curious what this software update changes, and how it makes certain that the steering will never 'lock up', or whatever it does. If anyone knows the details I would appreciate an explanation. Thanks,

Stuart Ostroff #445, 14,000 miles.

Lamonster
07-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Yes, the old software would turn the power steering off at a set speed. They felt it wasn't needed. Now you have power steering throughout the speed range, it's just backed off at the higher speeds instead of shut off. The problem is sometimes it wouldn't turn back on and that made it hard to steer when your speed reduced. The steering still worked fine it just took more effort to steer. It never locked up before, just felt like it because it was harder to steer.

Mo Lee
07-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Yes, the old software would turn the power steering off at a set speed. They felt it wasn't needed. Now you have power steering throughout the speed range, it's just backed off at the higher speeds instead of shut off. The problem is sometimes it wouldn't turn back on and that made it hard to steer when your speed reduced. The steering still worked fine it just took more effort to steer. It never locked up before, just felt like it because it was harder to steer.

My 2cents, an explanation that makes sense.

Roaddog2
07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
:agree:
My 2cents, an explanation that makes sense.:agree:

Firefly
07-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I just had mine done this morning--- and steering is smoother at ALL speeds. I think it's a bit more than just shutting it down at higher speeds. Whatever they changed took care of any adverse resistance at any speed - and mine was acting up at various speeds before this fix.

VERY happy with the fix !:thumbup:

ataDude
07-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm betting that they also removed the GPS input from the steering logic. Never could figure out why that was needed along with speed, rpm, etc.