PDA

View Full Version : Compressing rear brake piston...Help Please

P.W.
11-29-2019, 03:37 PM
I have a 2019 RT that I'm installing new EBC brake pads on.... The front was super easy....The back I've been working on for about three hours!!!
Everything was fine until I went to compress the rear brake piston to make more room for the thicker pads....
The piston will not compress with a c clamp....at all! It will only move out.... I found this out when playing the ebrake linkage. (so I know it's not frozen in the caliper.
What's the secret to compressing the piston????

Thanks for your time and help!!!!!!!
P.W.

Lew L
11-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Look for the 2 holes in the caliper piston ( inner side) Turn them with a pr of needle nose pliers. Baja Ron sells a custom tool that is perfect for the job.

Lew L

P.W.
11-29-2019, 03:55 PM
GREAT INFO!! What why do I turn .....CC or CW and how much to you rotate?

thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.W.

JKMSPYDER
11-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Rotate clockwise until tight.

P.W.
11-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Got it!!!
All back together...........Thanks again for all the help!

P.W.

Little Blue
11-30-2019, 06:12 AM
:coffee: Just curious about your brakes.
How many miles did you get?
Did you bleed the fluid at this time? ....:thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
09-11-2020, 09:12 PM
My buddy just had this exact issue with his piston too. We turned on it but it never did retract or get "tight". It would turn but not retract at all. I feel bad cuz I talked him into changing his tire himself....it all went perfect until it was time to put the brake back on. We couldn't get enough room between the pads no matter what we tried. We took the whole assembly off, and dinked around with it for an hour....Piston is still stuck waaay out. It didn't turn at all when we took it apart so we assumed it should just pop right back together...not so much, and NOT HAPPY.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-11-2020, 11:37 PM
My buddy just had this exact issue with his piston too. We turned on it but it never did retract or get "tight". It would turn but not retract at all. I feel bad cuz I talked him into changing his tire himself....it all went perfect until it was time to put the brake back on. We couldn't get enough room between the pads no matter what we tried. We took the whole assembly off, and dinked around with it for an hour....Piston is still stuck waaay out. It didn't turn at all when we took it apart so we assumed it should just pop right back together...not so much, and NOT HAPPY.

You have to push in and turn, and push hard. The piston has come off the threaded shaft so you have to reengage the threads. I don't remember which way to screw it, but I think CW.

BajaRon
09-11-2020, 11:43 PM
Yes, you need to turn it clockwise. If you turn it counter clock wise it will come off the threads (as mentioned) and it will then take a good deal of pressure to re-engage the threads.

You will need to Push down hard while at the same time turning clockwise. Once you get it started back on the threads, it's a pretty easy job. Until you do, it will turn for eternity and not go anywhere.

JayBros
09-12-2020, 07:22 AM
That is why one should procure one of Ron's tools IMO. With it retracting the piston is a simple task and if, by mistake one has unscrewed the piston from the threads, you can exert enough pressure relatively easily to reengage the threads. Use a proper tool for the job.

Grandpot
09-12-2020, 08:24 AM
:agree:

That tool is only about $15, but when you are in the condition you are in now, it's worth more.

When it comes to brakes, oil filters, and several other parts, Ron is a good source.

larryd
09-12-2020, 08:35 AM
Make sure the parking brake is released...

JayBros
09-12-2020, 12:28 PM
He couldn't have removed the caliper if the parking brake was on.

Mazo EMS2
09-12-2020, 01:58 PM
With the help of this site, we got it by pushing and turning, with a needle nosed pliers. We were trying one or the other, but not both at the same time. Thanks all......He was ready to load it up and take it to the dealer last night.

Grandpot
09-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Thanks for letting us know there was a happy ending.

BajaRon
09-13-2020, 07:47 AM
Awesome~:thumbup: