PDA

View Full Version : Something I do when the Spyder is in Hibernation

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-25-2019, 09:09 PM
I downhill ski ….. Last year I renewed my love for skiing. …. Hadn't skied in 25 or so years, but I figured at 72 I better stay as active as I could ….. Bought new ski's and boots, and re-learned how to do it ….. Actually went 66 times last season …. during Spring and summer, I felt better than anytime in the past decade ….. We had some cold snowy weather early in Nov. and they were able to make snow, so today I went to the slopes …. I have another Season pass, so I begin getting back into Ski-shape as soon as I can....( I exercise, but it seems ski muscles only develope from Skiing :roflblack: )... only took 10 runs, ( it was getting warm and soft ) but I felt much better than I did last year at the same time …… that's all , now back to Spyder stuff ….. Mike :thumbup:

Lew L
11-25-2019, 11:21 PM
Hi Mike,
Skiing is what I do in the winter also. Mt Rose is now open full time but has been weekends for 3 weeks. We are about to get blasted with a real winter storm Tues thru Thurs. Even more of the mountain will open.:ohyea: Our Thanksgiving guests won't be coming over Donner pass because of this storm ( they predict 2 feet at pass level) so I'll be skiing Thurs morn. Much like I do New years morning and Super Bowl Sunday as the resort is almost empty. A few :spyder2: ryders around here ski also but we haven't hooked up for a day on the mountain ---- YET.

Lew L

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-25-2019, 11:35 PM
Hi Mike,
Skiing is what I do in the winter also. Mt Rose is now open full time but has been weekends for 3 weeks. We are about to get blasted with a real winter storm Tues thru Thurs. Even more of the mountain will open.:ohyea: Our Thanksgiving guests won't be coming over Donner pass because of this storm ( they predict 2 feet at pass level) so I'll be skiing Thurs morn. Much like I do New years morning and Super Bowl Sunday as the resort is almost empty. A few :spyder2: ryders around here ski also but we haven't hooked up for a day on the mountain ---- YET.

Lew L

Happy to hear about your snow conditions …. sorry to hear about your guests not making the trip …… Mike :ohyea:

Saluda
11-26-2019, 07:32 AM
Snowmobiling is our winter fix while the Spyder is put away. Winter sports make the time pass quickly. (Or is it the older you get the faster it goes ?)

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Snowmobiling is our winter fix while the Spyder is put away. Winter sports make the time pass quickly. (Or is it the older you get the faster it goes ?)

I used to that ( for about 40 yrs. ). I gave it up 4 yrs ago due to not having anyone nearby to go with...… My location is very rural, and during the week ( the only time I would do it ) I would be out there by myself..... and that isn't a wise thing to do at 72......Enjoy ….. Mike :ohyea:

Saluda
11-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Too bad.
Very true, we never go with one sled or alone.

ARtraveler
11-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Good for you BlueKnight :bowdown:

We never did the downhill stuff, but did a lot of cross country. Those are some great memories. :yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2019, 12:13 PM
Good for you BlueKnight :bowdown:

We never did the downhill stuff, but did a lot of cross country. Those are some great memories. :yes:

Cross country skiing could be just as physically challenging depending on what your goals are ….. and good for you ...:thumbup::thumbup:...…..Happy Thanksgiving to ALL …… Mike :ohyea:

carbonation
01-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Exciting, and congrats on relearning to ski.
I just gear up, go sit on the Spyder and make engine noises until spring.....
That and walking the doodles gets me along until weather breaks.

2dogs
01-03-2020, 02:59 PM
I remember when I was young looking at those old folks on the slopes in front of me and wondered what in the heck are doing here? They're just in everyone else's way crisscrossing the fall line everywhere. Now I understand. They've got the time (retired) they've got the money (season pass) and the equipment, which these days almost makes the turns for you. Also they don't have to stash a bota bag on the hill somewhere because now they can afford the bar stool time.

Gwolf
01-03-2020, 03:29 PM
The Spyders do not hibernate down here. It is 80 degrees today.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-03-2020, 04:04 PM
I remember when I was young looking at those old folks on the slopes in front of me and wondered what in the heck are doing here? They're just in everyone else's way crisscrossing the fall line everywhere. Now I understand. They've got the time (retired) they've got the money (season pass) and the equipment, which these days almost makes the turns for you. Also they don't have to stash a bota bag on the hill somewhere because now they can afford the bar stool time.
Thanks - :agree: …. my local Ski area ( 8 miles away ) has a Senior season pass for $ 129.00 ( which I bought ) I can only ski M-F, and not at Holiday periods, but I wouldn't go then anyway. So my potential is approx. 100 days ( 16 so far ) ….. and Yep, the new equipment makes a HUGH difference.....Plus it's so darn healthy :clap::clap::clap: …. I'm really happy with returning to the sport …… Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-03-2020, 04:07 PM
The Spyders do not hibernate down here. It is 80 degrees today.

I'm glad for you …. but I can ride 7 - 8 mos. and about 10,000 mi. +/- ….. this gives me time to appreciate my Spyder more :yes::yes::yes:...…. Mike :ohyea:

Gwolf
01-03-2020, 04:43 PM
Put 7,000 on it since the end of April.

http://www.tanwater.com/pics/spyder2.gif