PDA

View Full Version : At long last!

glennm
11-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Picked up a 2014 ST S SE5 Cognac :spyder2: (10k miles on it) on Saturday :yes: and rode the 3 hours home after taking it for a test run earlier in the week.

Only made a few mistakes otherwise apart from traffic was great fun. Very happy I went for the ST as I couldn't get comfortable on the RS, RSS and budget would not extend to a later model. My body seems to like the different bars and the floor boards. A little saddle sore and hands were a bit painful but I haven't ridden any long distances on a bike for years so to be expected. Keeping within speed limits has been a challenge especially at the lower end!
Akrapovic exhaust so it has a good note to it. I did not think floor boards would be so great as almost anything else I rode had normal foot pegs for the rider. Only things I miss at the moment are a back rest, drink holder and phone holder, not that I have ever had them on any of my bikes.
Getting used to keeping the revs in the sweet spot and of course the handling. Looking forward to some weekend rides away from the main highways and traffic.

Saluda
11-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Congrats !! Enjoy.

pegasus1300
11-25-2019, 12:25 AM
Really pretty Spyder. Happy TRAils. Post early, post often and post more pictures.

glennm
11-25-2019, 01:56 AM
Thanks all for the kind thoughts. At least now I will be able to comment based on my experience rather than repeating the experiences of others.

Bfromla
11-25-2019, 04:09 AM
Picked up a 2014 ST S SE5 Cognac :spyder2: (10k miles on it) on Saturday :yes: and rode the 3 hours home after taking it for a test run earlier in the week.

Only made a few mistakes otherwise apart from traffic was great fun. Very happy I went for the ST as I couldn't get comfortable on the RS, RSS and budget would not extend to a later model. My body seems to like the different bars and the floor boards. A little saddle sore and hands were a bit painful but I haven't ridden any long distances on a bike for years so to be expected. Keeping within speed limits has been a challenge especially at the lower end!
Akrapovic exhaust so it has a good note to it. I did not think floor boards would be so great as almost anything else I rode had normal foot pegs for the rider. Only things I miss at the moment are a back rest, drink holder and phone holder, not that I have ever had them on any of my bikes.
Getting used to keeping the revs in the sweet spot and of course the handling. Looking forward to some weekend rides away from the main highways and traffic.:congrats::clap::riding::riding: The ST Does fit to its own niche of in-between. The floor boards I thought were on the Limiteds not the S :dontknow: & does allow some positive position repositioning while riding:firstplace: I will often leave toes on driver & prop heal on the passenger, then can stretch to the full forward all without having to stop & make adjustments :yes: Smooth Spyder dual-mode backrest way to go for stock seat. Till you find your sweet spot RPM keep good eye on the fuel gauge & trip meter. As fun as as it is it could use a bigger tank. :banghead: Also might want experimenting with Trailer mode(adjust the down shifting RPM) : cup holder :thumbup:177373 keeping a larger one or two in the frunk helps encourage stops to stretch therefore allowing more views & usually more enjoyable trips (relaxed no time restrictions) phone mount ~ plenty out there depends on your plan of use.
Easiest to Bluetooth to headset & leave it in pocket or frunk :2thumbs:ENJOY & yes more pics please.

Little Blue
11-25-2019, 04:36 AM
:coffee: A good choice on your Spyder. Ryde Safe and Enjoy your Time with your Spyder...:thumbup:

Mikey
11-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Congrates on the ride! The more you ride it, the more you will want to farkel it:shemademe_smilie::roflblack: Good Luck and have fun!!! Be safe!

Deanna777
11-25-2019, 11:23 AM
:congrats:

And enjoy!

Deanna

ARtraveler
11-25-2019, 11:23 AM
:congrats:

glennm
11-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Thanks again everyone it is a joy to behold. It was comments in other posts regarding the different riding positions that got me looking at the STs. Big thank you to forum members for all the sagely advice and candour.
The dual-mode backrest is definitely on the list and the frunk tidy on yours bfromla will be a definite as well. I like a place for everything. The list is already expanding!
Definitely want to take extra breaks as life has been far too rushed these past few years. 65 tomorrow so the Spyder is a nice birthday present. Hopefully only a year to go until retirement too.

ARtraveler
11-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks again everyone it is a joy to behold. It was comments in other posts regarding the different riding positions that got me looking at the STs. Big thank you to forum members for all the sagely advice and candour.
The dual-mode backrest is definitely on the list and the frunk tidy on yours bfromla will be a definite as well. I like a place for everything. The list is already expanding!
Definitely want to take extra breaks as life has been far too rushed these past few years. 65 tomorrow so the Spyder is a nice birthday present. Hopefully only a year to go until retirement too.

And Happy Birthday :yes:

CopperSpyder
11-25-2019, 03:35 PM
:congrats: on the new to you Spyder, it Looks sharp! Have a great Birthday!! Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

glennm
11-25-2019, 09:51 PM
Thanks. This site makes ownership even more enjoyable!

Gilda
11-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Congrats and Happy Birthday!
You'll love your bike more each time you ride it.
I have the 2015 ST L. I love my bike!
Just make sure to check your oil often.
I check mine after about 400 kms or so. She's an oil pig that's for sure.

glennm
11-26-2019, 01:55 AM
Congrats and Happy Birthday!
You'll love your bike more each time you ride it.
I have the 2015 ST L. I love my bike!
Just make sure to check your oil often.
I check mine after about 400 kms or so. She's an oil pig that's for sure.

Thanks, must admit I have forgotten so far to check the oil but will make sure I do this weekend when I go for a spin.

Bfromla
11-27-2019, 04:59 AM
Definitely want to take extra breaks as life has been far too rushed these past few years. 65 tomorrow so the Spyder is a nice birthday present. Hopefully only a year to go until retirement too. belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY:yes::2thumbs::congrats: Little more info about the frunk “tidy” as you called it. There are 3 parts really: just a adjustable cup holder with a center pocket found at auto parts house. Applied Velcro hooks to bottom & it sticks to the OEM liner :thumbup: has held 2 64oz theater cups. Spills can happen but keeping it centered & against back wall help. The liner is washable & there is a drain with rubber plug already in the frunk, easy to wash & clean :thumbup: The FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer) 177425 is really handy for the small items that find their way to the bottom & underneath everything :banghead: I personally like keeping spare pair of shades in FLO stays protected & easy to find if & when I misplace my everyday pair or something annoying happens to them. So #1: OEM liner #2: FLO #3: adjustable cup holder

glennm
11-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks Bfromla for the birthday wishes and info on the frunk. Will start looking for suitable items. Ordering larger brake pedal and krikit ii today.