PDA

View Full Version : Removing sticker glue

bmccaffrey
11-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Just got my 2018 F3 Limited from Imotorsports

Apparently they had a sticker on dash and windshield and left the residue. Being they were to lazy to clean it off.

I am looking for ideas how to remove it without hurting the windshield or plastic dash .

TIA

VitoNam
11-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Good old WD-40 will work well and it's something we all, most likely, have sitting around the shop so nothing special is needed to be bought.

As with all things dealing with plastic, especially clear plastic, test an inconspicuous area first. After the goo is removed, wash area with soapy water.

wilpir
11-16-2019, 07:24 PM
+1 WD-40 I work at a hardware store recommend all the time..

campermac
11-16-2019, 07:57 PM
WD-40 or Goo Gone

Highwayman2013
11-16-2019, 08:13 PM
Goo Gone.

trikermutha
11-16-2019, 08:16 PM
GOO Gone as mentioned

hypurone
11-17-2019, 09:55 AM
And for an all natural option.... Peanut butter! Yup, it really does work. And NO, NOT the crunchy kind! :roflblack:

Little Blue
11-19-2019, 08:07 AM
:coffee: Yes, I have used the smooth peanut butter to clean areas.
Be careful and test a small section first.....:thumbup:

JTYALOR
11-19-2019, 08:33 AM
goo be gone wd 40 tooth paste if it is real bad 3m adhesive remover

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-19-2019, 08:46 AM
rubbing alcohol

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-19-2019, 09:11 AM
No one solvent will work on all adhesives. I've used 90%+ alcohol on some that mineral spirits wouldn't touch, and vice versa. Acetone will often work but in some cases it can etch paint. White gas (Coleman camp fuel) sometimes works great, and sometimes not! You just have to experiment to find the best one.

PMK
11-19-2019, 02:43 PM
You stated there is residue on the acrylic plastic windscreen and on the instrument panel overlay.

Regarding the windscreen, anything more intense than isopropyl alcohol may ruin the ability to see through it. WD is probably ok, but then you need to remove the oily residue.

If it were me, on the windscreen, I would try a new high quality microfibre cloth and Lemon Pledge or similar high quality automotive wax.

Not exactly sure about how bad or where on the instrument panel overlay the issue is. You might try the same technique first, going with WD next.

Downside in dealing with the windscreen, the wrong chemical will craze the plastic, and sadly, most chemicals are not good on acrylics.

Deanna777
11-19-2019, 03:27 PM
I would try Goo Gone.

Deanna

PMK
11-19-2019, 05:51 PM
I checked the Goo Gone website, they defer using it on plexiglass and leave it up to the plexiglass manufacturer.

Considering the cost of a new windscreen, Goo Gone would not be used by me on plexiglass.

But entirely your call.

Consider this, if the windscreen is destroyed, with so many here suggesting Goo Gone, each of them can chip in $20 towards a replacement and the test is complete.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-19-2019, 07:15 PM
I checked the Goo Gone website, they defer using it on plexiglass and leave it up to the plexiglass manufacturer.

Considering the cost of a new windscreen, Goo Gone would not be used by me on plexiglass.

But entirely your call.

Consider this, if the windscreen is destroyed, with so many here suggesting Goo Gone, each of them can chip in $20 towards a replacement and the test is complete.

Isn't plexiglass polycarbonate and thus not the same as acrylic? The windscreen is acrylic, isn't it? Just asking since Goo Gone may be OK on the windscreen.

PMK
11-19-2019, 09:19 PM
Isn't plexiglass polycarbonate and thus not the same as acrylic? The windscreen is acrylic, isn't it? Just asking since Goo Gone may be OK on the windscreen.

Plexiglass is acrylic, Lexan is polycarbonate. An F4 windscreen is polycarbonate, stock is acrylic.

Raknid
11-20-2019, 07:58 AM
I am not sure that I would use GooGone on a clear plastic windshield or dash. It is pretty strong. I would probably try WD 40 first or maybe Plexus. Let it soak into the adhesive a bit.

blacklightning
11-20-2019, 09:20 AM
I was going to say WD-40 or Goo Gone, as I have used it on all my bikes.
But with the guys suggesting peanut butter, I would have to give that a try just to see if it works. A nice natural alternative to remove stickers would be really nice. One key thing to do is let it sit in the sun and warm up as much as possible. That should make either one of the above work better.