PDA

View Full Version : Trade SE5 silver NMN 4" risers for black, anyone.

burg650
07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I have the NMN 4" in risers on my SE5 the sliver finish, could not wait when I ordered them as the black were out of stock. Now after getting the silver version I should have waited for the black, is there anyone who wants the silver and would like to trade the black.

smokster
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I have the NMN 4" in risers on my SE5 the sliver finish, could not wait when I ordered them as the black were out of stock. Now after getting the silver version I should have waited for the black, is there anyone who wants the silver and would like to trade the black.
Silver is faster.
After riding 22k miles, I dont even notice what color mine is anymore, it is just too much fun no matter what color it is.

bjt
07-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Black risers are more $$$. You might have to sweeten the deal. :dontknow:

jeuchler
07-21-2009, 07:35 AM

...Anyhow, if you switch to black and post about it here, 64 people will respond, annoyed that you've reduced your visibility! :joke:

Firefly
07-21-2009, 08:07 AM

I doubt you are going to find any takers - best bet would be to order new black ones and sell the old ones out here - probably for 1/2 what you paid as many will be picky about items like that being 'used'.

Or you could take them off and have someone powdercoat them.

Good luck!

ataDude
07-21-2009, 11:00 AM
...Anyhow, if you switch to black and post about it here, 64 people will respond, annoyed that you've reduced your visibility! :joke:

:D :D :D :D :D

fastfraser
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Rub them down with steel wool and spray paint them black with trem-clad or any auto spray paint.:dontknow: Not as good as anodized or powder coated but hey for 5 bucks i won't tell anyone.

Twodog185
07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
There's a place near you that'll powder coat those risers for not much more than 20 bucks...I'm sure.

burg650
07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

When I placed my order I was told that they were the same price, just did not want to wait for the black to come in as my shoulders were about to give up on me.

Magic Man
07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
When I placed my order I was told that they were the same price, just did not want to wait for the black to come in as my shoulders were about to give up on me.

That is not right. :wrong:

The black units are always $30 more.

The black units were being offered to you at the same price to compensate you for waiting for black to come in. :thumbup:

MM

docdoru
07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Everything black is more expensive than silver....:gaah:

burg650
07-21-2009, 11:12 PM
That is not right. :wrong:

The black units are always $30 more.

The black units were being offered to you at the same price to compensate you for waiting for black to come in. :thumbup:

MM

I was not told that is was more at that time and I still would have not waited, riding was becoming uncomfortable for me and just wanted to have them cost was not a factor. I guess I will remove them and get them painted/power coated/anodized which ever is fastest.

bjt
07-22-2009, 08:01 AM
I guess I will remove them and get them painted/power coated/anodized which ever is fastest.

The quickest thing to do would be to run to the hardware store and buy a can of matte or satin black spray paint that works on aluminum. Remove and clean the risers well. Spray the risers following the instructions on the can. Then reinstall the risers in a few hours or the next day, depending on the handling / drying time directions on the can. That should look decent and last you until at least the winter when you would have more time to send them out for a professional finish like anodizing or powdercoating. If you do a really good job of it, you may find that your paint job is good enough and you won't have to pursue it any further.

krb1945
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
If you don't get any takers... take them to your local powder coating shop and have them put a nice shiny black powder coat on them.:thumbup:

NancysToy
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
If you don't get any takers... take them to your local powder coating shop and have them put a nice shiny black powder coat on them.:thumbup:
Be careful if you do this, you can't get any powdercoat on the mating surfaces, threads, or the handlebar holes. Don't know how your going to cap them, but you can't get the inside portions of the caps, either, if you're using the billet ones. One problem with powdercoat that stops at edges of things, it sometimes looks funky, and can start to chip. If these make you that crazy, I would either get them anodized or save up and buy some black ones, selling your old ones at a discount. We had the same dilemma, but the silver look just fine now that we've had them on there a couple of weeks. Just my two pennies.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Tom in NM
07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
. . . but I would paint them, if I found them distracting. It is easy, inexpensive and fast. A little prep and masking and then painting.

There are lots of different kind of Black colors/textures that should work/perform as well as Powder Coating for the Raisers - really, there are people who paint their cars and motorcycles with paint cans - and while as not as "professional" as a good painter, most people cannot tell. The raisers are a lot smaller and should pose no problem.

You could even go a different color, say Silver, Red, or Yellow.

And, if you don't like it or you decide to change it, you can.

Tom

burg650
07-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Maybe I will call NMN and ask them how much to just get the two riser and the 4 end caps to match.

ISCI Billy
07-23-2009, 07:25 AM

I can anodize aluminum to from silver to black with no problem. If interested give me a call at 1-800-838-9421. Here at ISCI we can make or fix just about anything.

ISCI Billy
www.industrialspecialty.com (http://www.industrialspecialty.com)

bjt
07-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I can anodize aluminum to from silver to black with no problem. If interested give me a call at 1-800-838-9421. Here at ISCI we can make or fix just about anything.

ISCI Billy
www.industrialspecialty.com (http://www.industrialspecialty.com)

What about the cast metal pieces that hold the footpegs and the footpegs too? Some of the silver / gray finish is flaking off on mine and I'd like them black. Is anodizing a good, valid option or would powdercoating be better?